Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
corisande

Major Carew - who was he

IPT
18 minutes ago, William malone said:

thanks to Ipt for your input but I think if Dorcus did not marry again after captain Richard Herbert, then she could surely not have been buried as Hutchinson, and I have no concrete info on any other marriage, so no change of name to help me find out what happened to her. Thanks to anyone related or not that might know some thing.

william.

Perhaps i've got it wrong then. I had found the following;

Dorcas E H Carew married Fernald M Corelli in Slilsby, Lincs in 1933,

Dorcas E H Carew married Richard Herbert in Surrey Northern in 1939,

Dorcas E Herbert married Richard Johnson in Fulham in 1945

Dorcas E Johnson married Roy Hutchinson in Surrey North Eastern in 1947.

Dorcas Eve Hutchinson died in Richmond Upon Thames in 1979.

corisande

I would go with IPT on those  marriages. If you needed, the certificates would give you final proof

Still not a sniff of a photo of Major Carew himself !

corisande

England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007 Birth, Marriage & Death

And a fairly detailed Family Tree (FWIW) on Ancestry - click,

Name:  Dorcas Eve Hutchinson
Birth:  4 Mar 1913
Edited by corisande

William malone
5 hours ago, IPT said:

Thank you for your kind attention to my quest, your fine detail to the dates and marriages are of great value to our family,I was thrown off course by the post by Maxwilliam dated 2015, stating that Dorcus was his mother and it seemed from the Gellibrand family tree,that Hutchinson was her first marrige, so therefore I believe you are correct,I wonder if Maxwilliam is still alive.

IPT, thank you for your help,how on earth did you find this info I have felt all at sea with it and had not the evidence or skill to find all of the marriages, I must also tell you that Fernald m Corelli and Dorcus had divorced, he was not deceased at the time of her marriage to captain Richard Herbert. Please keep in touch, if I find out any more I will of course post it.

kind regards

william.

William malone
4 hours ago, corisande said:

England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007 Birth, Marriage & Death

And a fairly detailed Family Tree (FWIW) on Ancestry - click,

Name:  Dorcas Eve Hutchinson
Birth:  4 Mar 1913

4 hours ago, corisande said:

I would go with IPT on those  marriages. If you needed, the certificates would give you final proof

Thank you corisande I will take your valuable advice and definitely go with the marriages and info from IPT.

If we find a photo of major Carew in our family archive, I will post it with pleasure 

kind regards

william.

Edited by William malone
Spelling mistake

IPT

Some extracts from Lt K.E. Wooton's diary;

"Jack was Officer Carew’s dog, a white fox terrier who was aboard our tank a lot of the time. He often took a walk in to no mans land and wished to make the acquaintance with another dog on the other side who had caught his eye. He had no trouble in walking the 100 yards to the other side and had no fear. We watched him and admired. At Ypres in the summer of 1917 he jumped on to a lorry. This was the last we saw of poor Jack. Carew was inconsolable and after endless enquiries we found out he had been killed by a shell"

"'Captain Carew, our section commander dashed madly about to try and get our tank up to an impossible speed. He imagined a tank could behave like a new motor car. Heavens, how heart breaking it was to guide a tank over the frightful ground. Long lines of mules followed us carrying shells and stumbling over the broken ground.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311867/Hero-soldier-Kenneth-Woottons-amazing-diary-drawings-WWI-horrors.html#ixzz0zWZ6QQJP

Edited by IPT

corisande

Thanks IPT for that bit on Carew's life as a tank commander.  You always seem better than I at finding these bits :-)

I have updated Major Carew's page- click on Cairo Gang with this and on his grand daughter Dorcas

William malone
On 3 November 2016 at 18:20, IPT said:

IPT thanks for the solid information about Dorcus Eve Hutchinson, don't suppose you have any info on the date and month of her death, can't seem to find it, her daughter and granddaughter would be most grateful.

many thanks.

William.

William malone
On 12 November 2016 at 18:31, William malone said:

IPT thanks for the solid information about Dorcus Eve Hutchinson, don't suppose you have any info on the date and month of her death, can't seem to find it, her daughter and granddaughter would be most grateful.

many thanks.

William.

Maxwilliam are you out there, please post again with reference to you're mother Dorcus Eve Hutchinson, her daughter would like to know the exact date in June 1979 that she passed away.

Is there a grave that she might visit,sorry to keep on, trying to tie up this one loose end on the family tree.

william.

William malone
On 12 November 2016 at 18:31, William malone said:

many thanks.

William.

On 3 November 2016 at 19:20, corisande said:

Saw a photo on site link Cairo gang, major Carew date of birth and death, photo of what could be him leaning against a wall with a regiment beret,and his hands in his pockets ?.

william

IPT
On 11/3/2016 at 17:42, William malone said:

don't suppose you have any info on the date and month of her death

Sorry, the death record only states 2nd Qtr 1979 (so April, May or June). You might have to purchase the death certificate if you want the date.

I did check the Richmond burial records, which are online, but she wasn't there - http://www2.richmond.gov.uk/lbrburials/(S(wwrtvhsqnmtygm31lqjxjbjb))/Search.aspx

I suppose she may have been buried elsewhere. I'm not sure if cremations would appear on the above records.

William malone
15 hours ago, IPT said:

Sorry, the death record only states 2nd Qtr 1979 (so April, May or June). You might have to purchase the death certificate if you want the date.

I did check the Richmond burial records, which are online, but she wasn't there - http://www2.richmond.gov.uk/lbrburials/(S(wwrtvhsqnmtygm31lqjxjbjb))/Search.aspx

I suppose she may have been buried elsewhere. I'm not sure if cremations would appear on the above records.

Thank you so much ror your help yet again,IPT.

i will look at that, have you any idea how I might find Maxwilliam Hutchinson, he posted in 2015 I Have posted out to him on this fantastic site, but no-response, he did want to know if anyone was intrested in major Carew, he is my wife's great grandfather, so we are very intrested in any info on his mother Dorcus, as she is my wife's mother, and for her, the knowledge that she might have a half brother still alive is of great value to her, she would like to talk to him about her mother Dorcus,as she never new 

her, she,"Dorcus" left her children Michael and Ann when they babies and remarried once there father captain Richard Herbert was killed in action in North Africa in 1943.

sorry to go off track,you have been very kind,can't thank you enough.

best wishes.

william.

Edited by William malone