Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How can I find

Guest Neville Benton

Guest Neville Benton

My Great Uncle Alfred Benton was in units that had something to do with either AIRSHIPS or OBSERVATION BALLOONS in the British Army. Is there any way I can find the Regiments or Battallions that were involved with them so as I then can try finding out more about him.

I know he was born in Stratford WestHam in 1890 and died around 1956.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Neville Benton

Australia

Neville - there is a good chance that your great-uncle may have served in a Balloon Section or Balloon Wing of the Royal Flying Corps, or, if he served beyond 1st April 1918, the Royal Air Force.

If his service ended before 1/4/18 then he should appear (assuming overseas medal qualifying service) in the Army (incl RFC) service medal records at PRO Kew, and if any service record survives it will be in the Army series records WO363 or WO364 (this assumes he wasnt an Officer, by the way - their service records are in different classes).

If he was still serving in the RFC as of 1/4/18 then his transfer to the RAF would have been automatic and searches for a service record should then be made in PRO class AIR79 (again, assuming he wasnt commissioned). If he had RFC / Army service prior to a 1/4/18 transfer to the RAF then his medal index card should still appear in the Army series records, but if his service was entirely post 1/4/18 RAF there will be no medal index card for him.

Finding a service record in AIR79, assuming the man actually had RAF service, is virtually guaranteed. Unfortunately AIR79 records are very inferior to the Army service records.

Regards - Tom

Neville

It may not be your great-uncle, but there was an 'A Benton' in the pre-War RFC. Innes and Webb's "A Contemptible Little Flying Corps" [iSBN 0 948130 98 9] includes:

No 35 A Benton

Although he enlisted on 24 June 1908, a transferee [from another Regiment] to the RFC, he was still an Air Mechanic 1st Class with the Aircraft Park in France from 16 August 1914 (1914 Star). Sometime Flight Sergeant, he reverted to Sergeant (Coppersmith) wef 12 January 1918. Sergeant Mechanic in 1918 RAF Muster Roll. RAF Long Service and Good Conduct Medal wef 24 June 1926 as Flight Sergeant.

I hope this helps.

Dolphin

There is an excellent book all about the men of the Balloons:

"The Balloonatics", by Alan Morris. Published by Jarrolds, 1970. ISBN 09 100940 5.

Long out of print, but you may find copies available on www.abebooks.com or other good used book sites.