Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Tralee

corisande

I am researching the tentacles of British propaganda in Dublin. One of the things I came across was an odd attempt to fabricate an ambush of British troops in Tralee, and photos showing how they "gallantly" fought their way out. The original reference was in a book called the Paper Wall

There is one report that I can find in the Times in Mar 1921

times-trallee.jpg

Basically parts of British Propaganda fabricated the battle in Dalkey, in the suburbs of Dublin, took photos and were fingered by IRA Propaganda as fakes.

But try as I might, I cannot find any other contemporary references to this odd bit of PR. No sign of heads rolling, no sign of the government apologising.

Anyone know any more about The Battle of Tralee

Is this the 'battle' which took place on the 12 November 1920? The Illustrated London News of 27 November 1920 has a photograph which purports to portray the aftermath of this engagement, the write up beneath it has the following:

'The above photograph is typical of the state of things in the country. It was taken during the "battle of Tralee" where a convoy of R.I.C. Cadets was ambushed by Republicans. Three Sinn Feiners were killed and one cadet was wounded. The cadet and two of the Sinn Feiners are seen lying in the road.'

T Ryle Dwyer's book 'Tans, Terror and Troubles. Kerry's Real Fighting Story 1913-1923' has an account and states that locally it was known as the 'Battle of Ballymacelligott'. He also recounts the details of the fake film and photographs.

Can send you a copy of the ILN photograph if you want also the pages from the book.

Aled

Aled

I would be very grateful if you could email me the "fake photo" That is certainly the "engagement referred to. I can manage without the book scan, as it is the photo I am really after

And they probably only stopped to pick a Rose B)

Hi,

Robert Kee used one of the staged photos on the cover of his book "Ourselves Alone", Volume Three of the Green Flag.

I do recall reading about the event; it may have been in the same publication.

Regards,

Ken

Ken

Thanks for the tip off. The only photo I can find of the cover is a bit blurry. Is this the one you mean

kee-bogus.jpg

and presumably the photo bottom left

Yes that's the one but in the first edition it is the only image on the cover and therefore larger and clearer.

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner but I could try taking a pic which I could email if you wish.

Regards,

Ken

Thanks to both of you, we seem to have got there (and save Ken taking a picture)

I have this photo and the ILN one here for anyone wanting to see them together.

If you compere the above with the Cairo Gang the "IRA" man looks suspiciously like number 8 :hypocrite:

Does the above photo have any origin attached to it - Topical or Brooke or Official for example.

Thanks Mark

A few old favourites in that bunch!

• 2 years later...