Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS DIDO 1924/5

DirtyDick

Hello All

Eventually got around to getting my g-grandfather's WW1-era service papers and am intrigued by one entry.

He served on HMS Dido (an Eclipse Class Masted Cruiser built in 1896 and retired in 1926) from mid-1924 to mid-1925.

Written next to this entry there are three words; two of these are very scrappy and so closely written to be indecipherable from scratch, but the third one clearly reads 'Redoubt'.

Could anyone shed any light on this. Possibly there was a naval landing party or the ship engaged against insurgents?

Thanks

Richard

HMS DIDO was a reserve destroyer depot ship based at Portsmouth from 1919 to 1926.

It was a submarine depot ship 1912-1914 and then a destroyer depot ship until 1919 when it went into reserve. It was sold 16.12.26.

Thanks Terry; those leads have helped me decipher the scrawl. It would tie in as he lived in Portsmouth and was a destroyer man thoughout much of his service.

Thanks again, saved me a lot of internet searching.

Richard

• 7 months later...

Richard,

My sister is researching my family and has discovered that my grandfather served on HMS Dido in 1916. His name was William Arthur Holland (Born 1886) and described himself as an able seaman on his 1916 marriage certificate. I'd like to find out a little more about him. Do you have any idea of where I might find anything about him on the 'net?

Thanks

Patrick

holland@mnsi.net

FYI only.

Two ratings died in DIDO from illness in this period.

don

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sylvia Dorey

RE HMS DIDO ON MY UNCLES RECORDS SHE IS A LIGHT CRUISER HE WAS ABOARD FROM 10 MAY 1898 TO 11 JAN 1902 AT THIS PERIOD OF TIME HMS VIVID SEEMS TO BE THE ROYAL NAVAL BARRACKS AT DEVONPORT AT LEAST UNTIL 1919 WHEN HE RETIRED AS PETTY OFFICER HOPE THIS IS OF SOME HELP I HAVE A PHOTOGRAPH WHICH SHOWS 19 PEOPLE LOOKS LIKE A FOOTBALL TEAM WITH OFFICERS IT SAYS W,M.9 BOAT 181 DATE 1917-1919 WHICH IS THE THE YEAR HE WAS ON A SLOOP HMS SPIREA 1917 - 1919 SYLVIA DOREY