Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maylor James

Guest daisycat18

Guest daisycat18

Seeking info on my grandfather. born Liverpool 1896-8(?) joined army to get a pair of boots and 3 meals a day. served galipoli and in france. at one time was youngest sargent major on the front (he was 21) promoted fast thru ranks. wounded in arm. saw service whole ww1. cannot find any info. family history doesnt record regiment he served with. looking for any details of regiment of where to look. any help appreciated. thank you

Guest Pete Wood

I think his name was James Maylor (surname is Maylor).

There is no one on the census with Maylor as a forename.

There were a few James Maylor's born in the Liverpool (Everton) area. So the London Gazette entry for this James Maylor at http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType= must be wrong as he is shown as a Private, even though the regiment and area might appear to be correct.....

Do you have a photo?? How do you know what rank he achieved...??

Guest daisycat18

Yes, sorry is was James Maylor. I do have photo but no scanner. will get friend to scan and send. photo shows uniform with full button trench coat and 2 stripes on his arm. Peaked cap with what appears to be star insignia with curved bar underneath. He is also holding what appears to be (swagger) stick. Photo appears to be on post card.

Family folk lore says that he was a sargent major. He joined as a private but due to massive loss of life, he was promoted thru the ranks to SM. He was gassed with mustard gas (the family says) because he could not wear a gas mask and shout orders as well.

Thanks so much for info so far. will look thru family photos for more info.

J