Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest philjones663

WW1 Medals Stolen..help!

Guest istanbul
It's disappointing, but there appears to be no media interest at all.

I've just spent 20 minutes (it's my lunch break, so I'm allowed!) Googling, and (as far as I can see) no-one has the story. It's being discussed a lot in cyber space, but all the discussion links back to this forum, with seemingly no 'original' input. Even Cheshire Constabulary don't mention it on their website.

If this is pukka, I'm disappointed that so little interest is being shown by the meejah.

I live in the same town as Phil and was contacted at 9.30pm last night by the Sentinel newspaper to give them some information on Neely VC I hadnt heard about the theft but was horrified when the young lady told me the circumstances.

AlanCurragh
Exactly Neil. This is a discussion Forum, and I take no joy in asking members to refrain from posting here, but the sensitive circumstances demand restraint.

So please, no further comment until we receive an update from philjones.

Can I re-iterate Kate's request - the media is now clearly aware of this. Let's leave this to Phil to update us.

Alan

stevem49

It is very easy to sneak into a house. Two weeks ago our next door neighbour was at home with her youngest son. A thief got in through the back upstairs window and took the eldest sons electronic stuff. We all believe that it was someone who if caught could get away with it as being a joke. So friend or friend of friend. This theft took place on a sunny sunday evening.

as an aside - I cannot find 'Snuck' in the Oxford English dictionary :rolleyes:

widavies
Granada TV - Local News

Video report - click on " Rare medals stolen"

Granada News

Norman

Hi Norman,

Thanks for posting the link, I watched it, and I think that the poor lad looks both distraught and shamed at the same time. Looks like it was probably an unpremeditated robbery that yielded more than they bargained for. Lets hope they have not been thrown away as too hot to handle and that they are returned eventually.

Regards

Will Davies

Kate Wills

Gentlemen, thankyou for the links to the media coverage, but once again (and I'll say it louder this time)

Will members kindly consider the circumstances of this thread and

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM FURTHER COMMENT UNTIL PHIL JONES POSTS AN UPDATE HERE

John_Hartley

Phil

Peter Donnelly, curator of the regimental museum at Lancaster, asks you to please give him a ring. Phone number is 01524 555619.

John

robins2
Please don't misunderstand this post. I am not trying to make your life or your emotions any easier over this senseless criminal act committed against you, your relatives/ancestors and their memories as embodied in the extant medal group. However the Calgary Military History Museum just had vandals also break in and ransack the place taking medals, equipment, clothing and the like and this from a moderately well known and alarmed instititution. The low lifes also took all the donation money in the museum's box's but as the curator stated it isn't the money that is worrisome it is the numerous now missing artificats now absent from being able to be put on display, publicized, etc...to educate and enlighten future generations. Yours of course is a family tragedy (with hopefully a happy fairy tale ending with the recovery for none the worse for wear of ALL your missing medals). Sad, but true what we intellectually, educationally, culturally and emotionally value others see only the dollar, Euro or pound sterling...!

John

Toronto

Canada

re artifacts stolen from Airforce Museum, Calgary, you will be happy to note that they have been recovered, mostly due to the coverage from the press calling the theft a dastardly deed, items were well packed and thrown over a fence near the museum, the cuator was then phoned & told where to look for them,

a pricless group such as this should receive national coverage

Seadog

It must be me but was there not a post from Phil Jones here earlier today. If I remember he said that he was going to contact the museum curator and would be reporting back.?

Regards

Norman

Pighills

You're correct Norman, Phil did make a posting earlier today, he must have removed it!

Seadog

Thank goodness for that Kim, I thought I was going even more Doolally than normal!. I cannot understand his reason for removing it as it seemed pretty innocuous to me but there again that is his business.

Regards

Norman

dave hanks

ALL his posts have been removed, except the first one.

keithmroberts

There is a post on the Daily Mail website, (not a normal haunt of mine, I was directed there by a Google search on the subject); about this story, suggesting that the medal was a replica and has been recovered. I know nothing about the source of the report, but maybe we will learn more over the next few days.

Keith

stoj22

This has been posted on the above website......... "Just heard...I know the guy very well and to his mistake and lack of knowledge and badly advised the medals are replicas...The medals have been recovered by police....case closed...

- John Healy, Cheshire, 30/6/2010 19:53"

Seadog

Well that’s that then. I know that it would be very easy now to poke fun at this guy but that would really not be fair and it would be to the detriment of the forum if we started doing such a thing. One point does however strike me though and that is the fact that replicas can be very difficult to spot to the man in the street for example the set in my Post No.66 which themselves are held by the family of the original holder. All wells that ends well and I presume that the original VC set is safe and sound.

Regards

Norman

I think we have to remember that we are not all experts. I am sure Phil acted in good faith throughout. Hopefully the genuine medals are safe and sound. That's the main thing.

Cheers Mike

Gunner Bailey

:lol:

John

Kath

Also, his home was invaded, a trauma in itself.

kath.

John_Hartley
Hopefully the genuine medals are safe and sound.

Mike

When this first cropped (and when I was as suspicious of "goings on" as the next member), I did a bit of Googling to see if there was any history to the VC location. There isnt.

So, assuming Phil did only have a replica (and we don't yet know that), the interesting story would be "where's the original?". May be with another family member. May have been sold privately in times gone by and is in the hands of an unknown collector. May have been lost.

John

HarryBettsMCDCM
(NO QUESTIONS asked)

IIRC it is illegal to state no questions asked when seeking the return of stolen goods.... :devilgrin:

IPT

I'm delighted that Phil has recovered his family heirlooms, regardless of their worth.

He certainly did not mention monetary value when requesting advice from this forum.

Ghost

So who is going to ask his Dad where the original medals are?

Alan

keithmroberts

It may be that the Regimental Museum hold some information. However, I am more than happy to let this one go unless there is further news. Assuming that the post on the DM is correct, then I hope that Phil will not feel so embarrassed that he cannot take further interest as well as pride in his brave relative.

Keith

So who is going to ask his Dad where the original medals are?

Alan

The Police, probably. They are involved remember.

I am as unsure of the facts as anyone, but presumably the Police are asking all the questions, we are asking?

We had better not say too much.

We will wait and see, and Phil may post again, and enlighten us all, at some point?

Cheers Mike

27thBN

Well i am glad that its all sorted (and im not going blind on the VC )

MC

daggers

Is it in order to point out for the record that the regiment was 'Royal Lancaster', not 'Royal Lancashire'? as appeared in some earlier posts?

D