Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest philjones663

WW1 Medals Stolen..help!

John_Hartley

He'd certainly been awarded an MM at some point (as per CWGC entry)

Michelle Young

A search under WW1 VC stolen on Google still only brings up this thread and the one on WW2talk.

Michelle

regimentalrogue

Here is the current Google news search for stolen "victoria cross", showing any stories appearing within the past week. Nothing yet on Neely's VC.

post-23261-1277743546.png

Pighills

Link to the Mirror blog story 'HERE'

The story on the blog in full:

Cowards steal the bravest award

By Andrew Penman on June 28, 2010 4:19 PM in

Just received the following from police in Cheshire. Very happy to publicise it further: all burglars are scum and this break-in is made even worse because they stole family heirlooms won by the sort bravery they will never have. Here's what Cheshire police say:

"A trio of valuable war medals were stolen in a burglary in Crewe over the weekend.

"Thieves snuck into a house some time between 9am Friday 25th June and 11am the following day and stole a wallet from the kitchen. Inside the wallet were three medals - one of which being a rare and valuable Victoria Cross.

"The medal was a family heirloom - awarded for valour in World War One to Corporal Thomas Neely of the 8th Battallion Kings Own Royal Lancashire Regiment, and passed down through generations of his family.

"Detective Sergeant Andy McGillan, leading the investigation said: 'This incident has been extremely traumatic for the victim, who placed a tremendous amount of sentimental and monetary value in the medal. We are keen to recover the item to its rightful owner and will follow up all enquiries in an effort to locate it.

"The medal is very distinctive, and we would urge anyone who has knowledge of its whereabouts, particularly those traders who deal in unusual or collectable medals, or antique dealers who may have been approached by anyone trying to sell the medal, to contact Cheshire Police on 0845 458 0000. Anyone wishing to pass information anonymously can contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111".

Sue Light

'... snuck into a house'

How does that work then?

Sue

ralphjd

Sue. Snuck :- past and past participle of sneak. I believe theft reported on Granada tonight. Ralph.

squirrel

I thought it was "sneaked" - "snuck" being yet another Americanism.

Gunner Bailey

I've lost the plot on this. Shall I report that to the Police?

John

Sue Light

I totally refute the idea that 'snuck' is a proper word - it certainly wasn't when I was at school - 'sneaked' or nothing. Do I detect an infiltration of Americanisms into Mirror journalism?

More to the point, I was wondering how easy it is to 'snuck/sneak' into a house. Was the house open and unattended throughout a twenty-six hour period? Maybe I live in such a small space that I immediately notice every house-fly that enters, let alone a sneak-thief.

Sue

Am with you Sue. snuck is no more a real word than dove ( dived ) is.

Mike

AlanCurragh

Forgive me for butting in, but this is meant to be a thread about the theft of medals, not the past tense of the verb "to sneak"

Alan

SiegeGunner

So if only three medals were stolen, does Phil still have the the other one?

dave hanks

Which one? The MM he thinks he's had stolen but it's a BWM, or the BWM?

Steven Broomfield

Maybe the Press weren't sure either. I mean, the words "Press" and "Accuracy" ...

I'll wait till I see it in the Tottygraph

T8HANTS

snuck is no more a real word than dove ( dived ) is.

I may be wrong but I understood that the apparent Americanism dove is actually an older form of English dating from the time of the colonial establishment of the country, and is one of a number of old words which we have long since dropped, but remain in American English, which some may consider purer in usage.

G

Matt Dixon

I refer you back to Alan's post above.

Steven Broomfield

So as I understand it, the wallet contained three medals, one being a VC. Alongside were two other medals, which may or may not have been two of MM, BWM and Victory. Was Neely entitled to a Star (I don't know)?

So therefore the loser still has one of the MM, BWM or Victory.

Maybe Phil could elucidate which medals he has lost, and which he still has in his hands - that way tracing the missing ones might be slightly easier, I suspect. The police seem somewhat under-informed, I think, so maybe they could also be filled-in on what's gone and what's left.

I think we are entitled to be somewhat confused by all this, so a simple post from Phil to confirm what's gone and what hasn't would clear up a lot of confusion.

This is extremely frustrating; all we need is some facts to 'prove' everything is as we are told it is.

Kate Wills

I think it migt be in order to suspend further superfluous comment now and let Phil have the next word.

NeilEvans

I'd agree Kate.

Catch 22 situation for you mods.

Neil

Kate Wills

Exactly Neil. This is a discussion Forum, and I take no joy in asking members to refrain from posting here, but the sensitive circumstances demand restraint.

So please, no further comment until we receive an update from philjones.

Seadog

Granada TV - Local News

Video link removed - see post 114

Thanks

Norman