Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest philjones663

WW1 Medals Stolen..help!

Krithia

Good luck Phil, I am hoping the missing items are reunited soon.

Arnhem44

I have to ask,is there any better photo of the medals including the back of the V.C.,The medals in the photo appear to be modern replica's,the BWM appears to look like its cast and the V.C looks to shiny for my liking,if the V.C has been polished then surely the BWM would also look the same,sorry for been a doubter,just wondering is it a replica set of medals you inherited maybe?

Brendan

Unknownsoldier
I have to ask,is there any better photo of the medals including the back of the V.C.,The medals in the photo appear to be modern replica's,the BWM appears to look like its cast and the V.C looks to shiny for my liking,if the V.C has been polished then surely the BWM would also look the same,sorry for been a doubter,just wondering is it a replica set of medals you inherited maybe?

Brendan

Just for interest: a real VC:

Email0001.jpg

Krithia

Good point Arnhem, the VC and BWM look like replicas as do their ribbons in the photo, especially when compared to the one just posted. Can you confirm if these are the ones stolen or just a replica set? A theft is still a theft, we just need to know if it was the originals taken.

Mike Cross

Great photos of a pukka VC; just hope the proper value of these missing items was recorded in the estate of the deceased. If you did not know then you should be aware that Inheritance Tax is usually paid on an estate when somebody dies. Most estates don’t have to pay Inheritance Tax because they are valued at less than the present threshold of £325,000. Food for thought.

dave hanks

How can you tell they are "real"? I'm a bit thick, sorry.

Unknownsoldier
How can you tell they are "real"? I'm a bit thick, sorry.

VC's or medals in general?

VC's is generally easy, fakes are thin, crudely made (more often) and also often stamped copy. most cheap VC copies aremade of white metal and painted (almost like humbrol brown).

Medals in general it all depends, some are much thinner than the real thing, others are made too small, diameter wise. You can also get ones crudely made, sand casting marks etc. etc.

In the photo the finish on the VC looks off, could be a flash etc. also looks too thin, the suspension on the BWM looks one piece which real pieces are not, they are two parts. The ribbons also look modern, originals were silk, and have a distinctive look (and feel).

Tom

Martin Bennitt

Curiouser and curiouser: the images posted by Skipman appear to have been removed, at least to me. Any reason please. This thread is taking some funny turns

cheers Martin B

Pighills

The images have definitely been removed - but you can still see them by going through the link on post #54 (page one, post #9 on that other forum).

Unknownsoldier

In that case I return to my stance, I wait to hear in the papers tomorrow and from granada...... but you do seem to have taken every bit of disbelief, as a personal attack, of which it was never meant, it's just most people don't have 150k medla hanging around, and certainly do not often inherit such a thing, whilst people do inherit 1914 stars which on numerous occasions have been mistakenly thought to be Victoria Crosses, nothing was said nastily it's just online it pays to trust almost nothing and no one without proof. I hope you do find the medals, I hope those responsible are punished and I hope all works out well, forgive my tendancy to enjoy playing devils advocate, but sometimes it is necessary/useful to do so.

ATB,

Tom

27thBN

Have to Admit i feel the same ,it didnt look right l didnt want to be the Devils advocate ...............

Seadog
In that case I return to my stance, I wait to hear in the papers tomorrow and from granada......

ATB,

Tom

And me.

James Blonde

post-18479-1277718020.jpg

Is this the picture being referred too?

My crop and highlight by the way.

Connaught Stranger.

Unknownsoldier
post-18479-1277718020.jpg

Is this the picture being referred too?

My crop and highlight by the way.

Connaught Stranger.

Yes

Just to be clear. I offered to post photos on Phil's behalf, then when he asked me to remove the photograph, I did so. I'm happy to give the man the benefit of the doubt. Even if they are not genuine, ( and I wouldn't know if they were or were not ) It's very possible Phil thought they were genuine?

The truth will out, and let's just wait and see.

Cheers Mike

Seadog

I do not understand a lot of the facts surrounding this thread, save that IF the medals supposedly stolen are replicas then where are the originals?. Surely if this case gets media exposure in the local area IF the originals do still exist then the owner of these will make this known.

Here are a set of replicas (Inc MC), the originals being in the Lord Ashcroft collection.

4653878712_7c4ba1b87f.jpg

" I do not understand a lot of the facts surrounding this thread "

There are not many.

I think we have to wait and see.

mike

MACRAE
Obvious question, Phil, that you do not need to answer here. This isn't just bad luck. It's a deliberate, targeted theft and a serious crime. Who knew that the medals were in your possession? Whoever you told, or whoever knew, needs to report themselves to the Police in order to be eliminated from their enquiries, pronto.

Exactly what I was thinking , some one knew about these and has delibertly targeted you for these.

Dan

nthornton1979

For info... Here is a post from over on the British medal forum (post not made by Phil):-

"Having just spoken to the officer in charge of this case, I can confirm that the medals have indeed been reported stolen and that all steps are being made to investigate the incident thoroughly including publicity as appropriate."

Neil

Andrew Hesketh
I do not understand a lot of the facts surrounding this thread...

I can appreciate your concerns.

However, the thread starter has told us that they are original medals and that he has reported it to the police and contacted various media channels as suggested by members. I believe that local TV and the Sun newspaper are involved.

I am sure that there will be lots of publicity today or tomorrow where many facts will emerge. In the meantime may I request that members try to avoid too much in the way of speculation.

I'm sure that we can all unite under one banner at least: the hope that the medals are returned and that the thieves are brought to justice.

Seadog

Agreed Andrew, perhaps members will be good enough to post the various media links when available.

Norman

Steven Broomfield

It's disappointing, but there appears to be no media interest at all.

I've just spent 20 minutes (it's my lunch break, so I'm allowed!) Googling, and (as far as I can see) no-one has the story. It's being discussed a lot in cyber space, but all the discussion links back to this forum, with seemingly no 'original' input. Even Cheshire Constabulary don't mention it on their website.

If this is pukka, I'm disappointed that so little interest is being shown by the meejah.

John_Hartley

I agree, Steve. But if the media interest is the local ITV news and the Sun, then one might reasonably not expect to see anything until the news broadcast this evening and the paper's publication tomorrow.

By the by, I've had no response to any of the emails I sent yesterday evening, so you may be right that there's just little interest. Odd - you'd have thought the meejah might have hooked this to Armed Forces Day.

keithfazzani

Nothing on Granada as of yet, at least on their web site, I understand from earlier posts that Granada had been informed. Perhaps as you say it will be on the evening broadcast.

dave hanks

On Phil's first post, he says 3 medals have been stolen Victoria Cross, Military Medal and Campaign Medal. The photo posted on Phil's behalf shows Victoria Cross, British War Medal and Victory Medal. Do you think he has mistaken the British War Medal for a Military Medal?