Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest philjones663

WW1 Medals Stolen..help!

Guest philjones663

Hi , Not easy way of saying for myself but I have had my Great Uncle Thomas Patrick Neely's medals stolen from my home, I have informed the police etc.. they say it does not look very promising.. They were WW1 medals Victoria Cross, Military Medal, and Campaign Medal... They came into my possession only a few weeks ago and now they have gone.. My great uncle was in The Royal Lancaster Kings Own

Regiment 32827... If anybody is approached or hears anything about the where a bouts please please P.M me... Don't no what else to say.. Can I get them replaced?? I just don't no what to do, Sick as a Parrot

scottmarchand

Seriously - you had Neely's real VC MM group!? for real? thats about 175,000 GBP's worth of medals!!! No real gbuine outlet for such aset as these on the market

if this is legit the police should take it more seriously, call the papers and TV news and the major dealers and auction houses like Spinks and Sotheby's to be aware.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...mp;GRid=9912197

I've cross posted to the british medals forum too - they are a remarkable bunch.

John Gilinsky

Please don't misunderstand this post. I am not trying to make your life or your emotions any easier over this senseless criminal act committed against you, your relatives/ancestors and their memories as embodied in the extant medal group. However the Calgary Military History Museum just had vandals also break in and ransack the place taking medals, equipment, clothing and the like and this from a moderately well known and alarmed instititution. The low lifes also took all the donation money in the museum's box's but as the curator stated it isn't the money that is worrisome it is the numerous now missing artificats now absent from being able to be put on display, publicized, etc...to educate and enlighten future generations. Yours of course is a family tragedy (with hopefully a happy fairy tale ending with the recovery for none the worse for wear of ALL your missing medals). Sad, but true what we intellectually, educationally, culturally and emotionally value others see only the dollar, Euro or pound sterling...!

John

Toronto

Canada

27thBN

As ScottM said there wont be a real market out there to sell it to that's assuming the scum that stole them know the true value of them,No help at all but i keep all my medals in a good fireproof safe just to stop this just in case some lowlifes do get in past the other security.I am sorry for your loss ,and what a loss family wise and monetary as well

Hoping MC

Philip Wilson

Phil

Very distressing for you.

If you have not already done so then I suggest you notify Medal News. http://www.tokenpublishing.com/medals.asp

The Victoria Cross Society http://www.victoriacrosssociety.com/

and the Orders and Medals Research Society http://www.omrs.org.uk/

They have a stolen medals section in their websites.

Philip

jamie 1978

It important that you make as big of a song and dance about this now. Contact anyone you can, the Daily Mail for example. I dont think you will get replacements and aa already said the monetry value of them is a lot less than their real potential. They cannot be sold at auction or through legit dealers, as for the real value to you ....

jamie

daggers

Tragic story. The more people who hear about this the better will be the chance of tracing the medals. Have you used the contacts suggested in post #6 by Philip?

I have put this on a Liverpool Family History forum as another way of spreading the word.

We all feel for you.

D

scottmarchand

more info from some BMF members - but seriously, you really need to be more assertive if you sincerely want these back. you CAN get national attention for this. Call ITN, BBC etc. The major papers and certainly some of the sensationalistic ones like the sun or the mail.

I would make sure a police report has been filed first.

With a VC theft, I think the best course would be to publicize the theft as much as possible.

I would pick up a Medal News or go to http://www.tokenpublishing.com/issue.asp?iid=285

and personally send a letter/email/contact each and every Dealer listed in their directory with the details, police report # and the fact there is a reward for the information on the safe recovery of the item.

I would also take a full or half page ad out in Medal News for 2-6 months so that all readers would be aware of it.

I would send emails/letter to all the dealers listed in the BMF directory:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3293

I would contact the

http://www.victoriacrosssociety.com/

and have them note on-site that is stolen;

I would contact OMRS and see if they could do a blurb on it:

http://www.omrs.org.uk/

As well as OMSA:

http://www.omsa.org/modules/Jig/index.php

Both OMSA and OMRS are official Medallic societies they have both web and periodical presence.

I would contact http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/vcross.htm

again see if they could do an on-site notice.

Another item he may want to consider is working with a national newspaper and/or tv newscast to see if they can do a story. Contact the dailies and see if they could do an interview with photo's etc.

My advice would be to make as much noise about the theft of the medal as possible. The market at the VC level is narrow. VC's are going upwards of £100K-150K-200K+. Anybody with principle who hears/reads the information will steer clear of it OR help the owner/police recover it. For those less scrupulous, the owner needs to make it as difficult as possible for the thief to fence it on the black-market and/or for someone to attempt to resell it later. Provenance is absolutely key at the VC level. The owner needs to make sure that theft is now part of this VC's provenance, and make it known as publicly as possible, and make it know publicly As Soon As Possible.

Finally, I would encourage the owner to contact Lord Ashcroft directly to seek his advice on what action to take.

I wish the owner good luck. Not an easy task but if they get the word out loud and clear - ASAP - it may help locate the group.

Kind regards,

Dave

Raster Scanning

I have so many questions about the loss of these medals but cannot articulate them without giving the wrong impression.

Hope they are returned soon.

Andrew Hesketh

Title amended to draw more attention to this thread.

(Raster's comment echoes my thoughts.)

Edited by Andrew Hesketh
Additional comment

Unknownsoldier
As ScottM said there wont be a real market out there to sell it to that's assuming the scum that stole them know the true value of them,No help at all but i keep all my medals in a good fireproof safe just to stop this just in case some lowlifes do get in past the other security.I am sorry for your loss ,and what a loss family wise and monetary as well

Hoping MC

Believe me there is more than market for them, it's just not an open one (Hong Kong used to be a big place for disposing of artworks etc.... as was Brazil). The medals cannot be replaced the MOD finished issuing WW1 gongs a few years back, and have been strict on not issuing them, the gallantry medals you might get replaced but I sadly would not hold your breath.

I'd contact the media, the medals are worth as sais near enough the price of a small house, TBH i'd also contact people like Richard at Chelsea Military Antiques, you never know it could be some smack head thats grabbem them "cos they're shiny", and may idiotically just try and flog them on quickly.

ATB,

Tom

Andrew Hesketh

In an attempt not to give the wrong impression I've given the wrong impression.

I amended the thread title to be helpful and get it more hits. I sincerely hope that you get the medals back.

eviltaxman

I've just seen this thread and I will circulate the info around my VC contacts and pop a page on to my site as well.

IPT

I couldn't quite tell if the police were made aware that the medals were worth c £200,000?

If not, get back on to them.

James Blonde

I have taken the liberty of posting this information

with regards the stolen medals over at the

Gentleman's Military Interest Club Forum.

Any reports in the newspapers yet of this theft?

Connaught Stranger

Chris_Baker

Obvious question, Phil, that you do not need to answer here. This isn't just bad luck. It's a deliberate, targeted theft and a serious crime. Who knew that the medals were in your possession? Whoever you told, or whoever knew, needs to report themselves to the Police in order to be eliminated from their enquiries, pronto.

dave hanks

Have you any photo's of the medals you can post?

dave hanks

I've only done it once, and it didn't go in correctly. You might be better getting advice from another member.

Boom x 2

janecavell

How to post images

1. Prepare your image: if you're going to upload it to the Forum, it needs to be less than 100 kb. (The alternative for bigger pictures is to put them online somewhere else, and add a link to them, as explained here.)

2. If you're adding a new post to an existing thread, click on 'Add reply' at the bottom of the thread (not on Fast Reply, which only gives you basic options)

3. Underneath the box where you type your reply, you'll see an empty box with a "Browse" button to its right. Click on Browse to open up a 'File Upload' list. Choose your image file from the list and click 'Open'. The file's pathname should now be in that little box under the message. Now click on the green 'UPLOAD' button.

4. Now the drop-down menu just above the upload button should have a (1) in it after "Manage Current Attachments" instead of (0). Click on the downward arrow and choose the filename of the image you want to add to your message. The link should now be pasted into your message.

5. Further down the page there's a "Preview post" button so you can see what the image looks like before you post it onto the forum. Once you're happy with everything, click on the 'Add reply' button (under the two rows of "post icons") to submit your reply.

This is all based on how the Forum looks to me (I use the Firefox browser and Windows XP) so may not work for people using different systems!!!

Edited 21:52

Edited again 21:10 27/6/2010

Cheers Mike

Steven Broomfield

Just a thought: does posting a picture make a lot of difference? One VC probably looks much like another, after all. I also see the MM's not with them, so anyone wanting to know what the group looks like isn't much the wiser.

One would assume that, if you'd had the medals only a couple of weeks, the thieves are very possibly known to you (or at least to someone who knows you); my guess would be they have no idea what they've really got on their hands so the bigger hoo hah you can make, the better. I bet it isn't crime of the century. My main worry would be that they've been dumped somewhere.

dave hanks

I'm off car bootin tomorrow, I'll keep 'em skinned & peeled. I'll put the word around..!

rendellers

Hi

To stop people posting duplicate advise could you let us know which of the sites/organisations already posted have you advised?

Obviously you haven't posted where you are but does your county have a dedicated police team for antiquities like the Met does http://www.met.police.uk/artandantiques/

Hoping for a speedy resolution

Lindsey

John Gilinsky

Hello Phil. If they ever catch the culprits who did this hopefully one of the punishments might be to have such person(s) be compelled for 1 full year to clean the gravestones in the nearest CWGC cemetery with the formal approval of both CWGC and British Legion. Hopefully the graves of some VC winners will also be in such a cemetery or two.

John

Toronto

David  B

John,

Aghree, but they should be compelled to clean with a toothbrush only.

David