Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

our Happy Warrior

Pighills

Having recently been digging out some information for a pal on Betty Stevenson, who died during an air raid attack in Etaples aged 21 whilst working for the YMCA, I came across a book printed after her death (the preface transcribed below will inform more fully). I also have (temporarily) in my possession two books which were Betty's. One dated 1908 (she was aged 11) and the other dated 1913 (aged 16) in which she has drawn flowers and birds and made notes on her nature walks.

I have gone through the two 'Nature' books, admiring her talent and giggling at her spelling (her mother despaired of her!) and was able to take pleasure from recognising places she had been (she lived here in Harrogate). I then read the 'Story of Betty'. My how I've been inspired. For one so young she really did have an extraordinary ability of making others feel better about themselves/situation.

Anyhow, in the book there are extracts of letters etc and amongst them is the following, which I thought some of you may be interested in:

Preface:

This story of Betty's twenty-one years has been printed, first because she was one of a big family of friends who loved her dearly, and who wanted to have a record of her life and death which another generation might still remember, when our stories and memories are silent. And secondly, because it seemed to us, who knew and loved Betty best of all, that, although she never thought of it herself, she had a message to give the world.

During the testing years of war, the spirit of England has been kept alive and strengthened by the gallant devotion of those who fought and died for her, and whose motto, whether they knew it or not, was the vow of Blake:

"I will not cease from mental fight,

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,

Till we have built Jerusalem

In England's green and pleasant land."

Devotion and self-sacrifice must draw the picture, but, none the less, joyousness and gay adventure may colour it. It was so that our Happy Warrior set out, and so she did her war work to the end.

She could say with Antigone: "I was not born to join in hate, but love." for us at home, with not one word of the peril, weariness, and strain through which Etaples was passing.

We have added a little poem, "The Two Ships," and a little Christmas story, both of which she wrote in 1915. We are grateful to Betty's many friends who have allowed us to print their letters. Each adds something to the picture of Betty.

CGRS

AGS

Betty's parents

Extract from a letter to a grieving mother:

We have just come back from putting the little one in her last resting-place. she had a soldier's funeral, and a beautiful service, and some lovely wreaths and flowers, and I can assure you there was not a soul there whose heart did not ache with sorrow for you.

Olive Stewart-Moore

Another letter:

I feel her dear spirit round the place .........

You see, dear, I was blessed in having her up to the end .............

I must tell you about the funeral, as I am afraid no one properly did. We all went to the soldiers' cemetery and lined up at each side of the little chapel, and waited there till they carried her out, with a Union Jack rolled round just like a soldier. We went up and put our flowers and our love on the top, and the little procession started on its way down, the chaplain in his white robes in front, soldiers wheeling the little carriage; and the bugler; and then we came in twos. I walked directly behind with Effie, and then the drivers, and Lady Cooper and Mr Scott, and all the others.

The Burial Service was read and the 90th Psalm, and the chaplain spoke a few words, telling of her work, and how she had died for her country like a soldier. It was a beautiful and touching service, and was attended by her fellow-workers, people from Boulogne, her soldier friends, and the French sent a French Staff Officer from GHQ, to pay his respects with the others; he stood, a splendid figure, and saluted as she was carried by.

We did not have a hymn as it was a military funeral, but it was a beautiful service, and we had some verses which I have marked in my Bible to show you. And then at the last the bugler sounded the Last Post, and there was not a dry eye amongst us all, and I held on tight to my courage, and prayed so hard for you. Then they lowered her gently in, and we stepped forward and sprinkled her little bed with flowers.

Dear, it was beautiful, and it is a lovely spot with the river and the sea, and the woods all over the other side. She went home with all her courage, and a smile on her dear lips, and her lovely soul had gone without suffering.

Olive Stewart-Moore

Tony, the award of the 'Croix de Guerre Avec Palme' forms part of the title of the book. It says simply, Betty Stevenson, YMCA, Croix de Guerre Avec Palme.

Ian, I shall be calling into Etaples when we go across in October. For some unknown reason (well, it was assumption if I'm honest, and we all know we should never do that!!) I thought Betty was buried here in Harrogate, people often quote her headstone as being laid face down (I think, unless I'm getting her mixed up with others) and I have tried to find it previously, but haven't done yet - which of course I wouldn't if it was face down (duh!).

If anyone would like me to post more, I can gladly do so. There are many diary extracts of life for Betty as she ferried parents of seriously ill and dying soldiers to and from Bolougne etc. Perhaps some would like to see one or two of her drawing? Just say, it's no problem.

Kim

Definitely buried Etaples -

Name: STEVENSON, BERTHA GAVIN (BETTY)

Initials: B G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Young Men's Christian Association

Date of Death: 30/05/1918

Additional information: Croix de Guerre avec Palme (France). Daughter of Arthur G. and Catherine Grace Stevenson, of Harrogate, Yorks. Born at York.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXVIII. M. 6.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

Tony

Sorry Tony, it was the way I wrote it. Yes, she's definitely buried in Etaples, I just erroneously thought (previously to reading about her burial in the book) that she'd been buried in Harrogate, due to 'people' mentioning her stone being laid flat. I can only imagine a tribute was added to her parents' headstone, or something along those lines, hence why the talk.

Diane, I will add some pictures shortly - I'm just caught up in sorting some cricket stuff out at the moment. There's a crisis on with some teams wanting to postpone this week's matches because of the World Cup, fancy!!!

Hi Kim,

some photos of Betty and her grave on the link below, a pic of the grave of fred stevenson DOW W.Riding regt,from bradford also in etaples cemetery on the same page, is there a family connection ?, no explanation on the page,

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...p;GRid=10897940

regards, John.

Hi John, thanks for the link, nice to see the headstone. I can't see any immediate connection. From the census she would seem an only child.

• Admin

I'm interested in Etaples and the 'hospital raids' (it's how I came to the forum - see avatar!)

You may have seen these links but this one shows the YMCA Cinema

http://www.awm.gov.au/wartime/8/articles/iso_rae.pdf

and here is a film of the funerals following the raid of the 21st

http://www3.nfb.ca/ww1/postwar-film.php?id=531255

not directly rated but a sense of place fyi

Ken

I too would like to see one of her pictures.

She looks like a lovely girl. The only consolation is that she died doing what she thought was her best contribution to her country. It's a proud epitaph.

OK, I'll start off with just a few of her drawings from her first book, which she filled from cover to cover, aged 10/11:

P1030731-1.jpg

This is going to be the last page of her drawings on nature which I post, unless someone specifically requests more - I think you can only really look at so many.

Page 5:

P1030744-1.jpg

P1030744-2.jpg

Kim

Thanks for that. I have visited her grave several times, and always wondered about her. You will be aware no doubt her headstone has the words "The Happy Warrior" upon it. It comes I think from one of William Wordsworth's poems "Character of the Happy Warrior" :

WHO is the happy Warrior? Who is he

What every man in arms should wish to be?

—It is the generous Spirit, who, when brought

Among the tasks of real life, hath wrought

Upon the plan that pleased his childish thought: 5

Whose high endeavours are an inward light

That makes the path before him always bright:

Who, with a natural instinct to discern

What knowledge can perform, is diligent to learn,

Abides by this resolve, and stops not there, 10

But makes his moral being his prime care;

Who, doomed to go in company with Pain,

And Fear, and Bloodshed, miserable train!

Turns his necessity to glorious gain;

In face of these doth exercise a power 15

Which is our human nature’s highest dower;

Controls them and subdues, transmutes, bereaves

Of their bad influence, and their good receives:

By objects, which might force the soul to abate

Her feeling, rendered more compassionate; 20

Is placable—because occasions rise

So often that demand such sacrifice;

More skilful in self-knowledge, even more pure,

As tempted more; more able to endure,

As more exposed to suffering and distress; 25

Thence, also, more alive to tenderness.

—’Tis he whose law is reason; who depends

Upon that law as on the best of friends;

Whence, in a state where men are tempted still

To evil for a guard against worse ill, 30

And what in quality or act is best

Doth seldom on a right foundation rest,

He labours good on good to fix, and owes

To virtue every triumph that he knows:

—Who, if he rise to station of command, 35

Rises by open means; and there will stand

On honourable terms, or else retire,

And in himself possess his own desire;

Who comprehends his trust, and to the same

Keeps faithful with a singleness of aim; 40

And therefore does not stoop, nor lie in wait

For wealth, or honours, or for worldly state,

Whom they must follow; on whose head must fall,

Like showers of manna, if they come at all:

Whose power shed round him in the common strife, 45

Or mild concerns of ordinary life,

A constant influence, a peculiar grace;

But who, if he be called upon to face

Some awful moment to which Heaven has joined

Great issues, good or bad for human kind, 50

Is happy as a Lover; and attired

With sudden brightness, like a Man inspired;

And, through the heat of conflict, keeps the law

In calmness made, and sees what he foresaw:

Or if an unexpected call succeed, 55

Come when it will, is equal to the need:

—He who, though thus endued as with a sense

And faculty for storm and turbulence,

Is yet a Soul whose master-bias leans

To homefelt pleasures and to gentle scenes; 60

Sweet images! which, whereso’er he be,

Are at his heart; and such fidelity

It is his darling passion to approve;

More brave for this, that he hath much to love:—

’Tis, finally, the Man, who, lifted high, 65

Conspicuous object in a Nation’s eye,

Or left unthought-of in obscurity,—

Who, with a toward or untoward lot,

Prosperous or adverse, to his wish or not,

Plays, in the many games of life, that one 70

Where what he most doth value must be won.

Whom neither shape of danger can dismay,

Nor thought of tender happiness betray;

Who, not content that former worth stand fast,

Looks forward, persevering to the last, 75

From well to better, daily self-surpast:

Who, whether praise of him must walk the earth

For ever, and to noble deeds give birth,

Or he must fall to sleep without his fame,

And leave a dead unprofitable name, 80

Finds comfort in himself and in his cause;

And, while the mortal mist is gathering, draws

His breath in confidence of Heaven’s applause:

This is the happy Warrior; this is he

Whom every Man in arms should wish to be.

TR

No, Terry, I didn't know, thank you for posting it.

I will post extracts from the 'Story of Betty' tomorrow.

Today we will start with a photo of Betty, it is perhaps a less well known one than the one of her in her uniform and, I think, shows a different Betty:

P1040715.jpg

I am going to post the extracts in chronological order so that her 'story' can be followed.

We began at the very start with a bit about Betty before the war (there are 3 photos/4pages in this part):

P1040701-1-1.jpg

P1040704.jpg

P1040705.jpg

Moving along, we can see how Betty started to get an 'interest' in the goings on of the war (2 photos/3pages in this section):

P1040706.jpg

P1040708.jpg

and finally, for today, how Betty first got to France during the war (2 photos/3pages):

If people are interested I will continue posting???

P1040713.jpg

P1040714.jpg