Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burial of an Australian Soldier, July 2010

Seadog

Thank you Doug.

I am so pleased Pte Mather has been returned to the loving arms of his family.

Lest we forget!

:poppy:

Hello Doug and welcome to the Forum.I would like to offer my Photos of The Prowse Point Service of Pte Mather on CD.Please send me a PM with your contact Details and i will duly send the CD.Kind Regards Russ.

post-7805-020428100 1281677913.jpg

Hello Doug and welcome to the Forum.I would like to offer my Photos of The Prowse Point Service of Pte Mather on CD.Please send me a PM with your contact Details and i will duly send the CD.Kind Regards Russ.

Russ

Put me down for that DVD as well please

Peter

Doug,

it was an amazing experience to meet you and your delightful family for the very moving occasion of the burial of your great Uncle. It was some few days. I know Martin will agree with me when, on behalf of NML, we say that it has been an extraordinarily moving experience and anything that the group was able to do for the family, however small, was our pleasure. I attach a pic of Alan's grave at sunset the day after the ceremony.

all best mate

Richard

PS Forget the trapiste - just be glad you didn't meet the dwarf!

post-1506-020198100 1281728627.jpg

Thank you Russ,

I will PM you soon. I appreciate your offer very much as your photo's are awesome. You must have averaged about a photo every 30 seconds! As you could imagine, it was a bit difficult to take any photo's while on the official platform. Not a good look... Another aside, is that my nephew Tom who is the youngest member of the family in the photo's, is a Blomfield. His ancestor was the one who I think designed the sword that is on the cross of sacrifice. So many little connections...

Beautiful photo Richard! I'm guessing on the timing of the pic too... I trust there weren't any awkward questions asked by any passers-by. I look forward to meeting the dwarf on a future dig mate, tho I am curious about your thoughts on the trapiste...

Doug

Hello Doug,

As a keen researcher into all things 33rd Bn.,I have come across the Blomfield name quite a bit. Is there a connection to Lieut. Richard Blomfield MC? Scotty.

Hi Doug,

we were lucky to have Prowse Point all to ourselves after a days digging. We had the beautiful late evening sun and the sound of the breeze rippling through the wheat as our sole companions.

all best

Richard

Scotty,

Im afraid I'll have to get back to you in a bit as it's my sister and nephew who carry that name. I'll see what I can find out about Richard, but I do know that Reginald Blomfield was involved in the design of the cross of sacrifice and also St Georges church in Ypres.

Cheers,

Doug.

Reginald Blomfield was a very important architect indeed. He gave us the sweeping curve of Regent Street in London and of course The Menin Gate - not just St Georges.

I think he was very much involved in the committee that came up with the general "look" of the IWGC war cemeteries. We owe him a great debt of gratitude. The Ypres we know and love today was substantially influenced by him.

Alan,

Thanks for that. Richard Blomfield wrote and published (in serialised form) a history of the 33rd Bn. for the Tamworth paper. It was called "Green and Black". A connection to Sir Reginald Blomfield, architect, is quite special. Scotty

Thank you for adding the extra's about Reginald. In speaking with my sister I have ascertained that the Blomfield family we are connected to are actually quite ignorant of all things family and don't have much interest in changing that, but my nephew and his brother are. Their grandfather was Barrington Freidrich Blomfield and great uncle Edwin Charles Blomfield. At this stage any connection to Richard is not known, but some family history literature is in their possession and they will do some reading up and hopefully find out. Apparently the originals of what Richard wrote is in a library in Armidale NSW.

Doug.

I think I saw the Green & Black battalion history on Ebay today.

It may have been there, but I'm pretty certain it isn't now. Though, I have spoken with someone who has read the original manuscript and I was sure Armidale was where he said they were. They are in an academic institution library I think... Could have gotten it mixed up...

Doug.