Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burial of an Australian Soldier, July 2010

Seadog

Ian, "added something" possibly but what?. Hendo there is no chance that this man was "official" and I would be amazed if he was It looks as though he is standing outside of the cemetery. The reasons such people feel motivated to do this sort of thing is totally beyond my comprehension.

Regards

Norman

Norman,

I think we have noted your extreme antipathy towards re-enactors in the recent earlier thread on this subject. For what he may have "added" to the occasion I would refer you back to my postings in that previous thread. I would also comment again that I feel he has a perfect right to be there in WW1 uniform as long as he behaves with respect and decorum. In reality, he may not have added greatly to the occasion but he put himself out to be there and paid his respects in a way that suited him.

Regards Ian

Well done the re-enactor, at least he was there!

Tom

I have seen him a few times at the Menin Gate and he does look the part - from what he has told me all his kit is either original or very good repro and I have no doubts about his intentions. He doesn't intrude and only speaks with those who approach him first. It is his way of paying his respects.

I attended the reinterment of Pte Alan Mather on 22.07.2010,at Prowse point Cemetery.I was the First member of the Public allowed in to the Viewing area reserved for members of the Public.A Solitary member of the dressing up brigade was present in the uniform of WW1 British Soldier and was already present OUTSIDE the entrance to the Cemetery.I asked an Official of the CWGC what their stance was on this occassion about re enactors/Dressers up attending the Ceremony.He informed me that the Australian Army and various security personnel had been pre warned about these people turning up,and that their prescence inside the cemetery during the Service would not be tolerated,but what they chose to do outside the Cemetery was their own Business.The Dressed up person did not enter the Cemetery until the Service was over.I have taken Photos of the entire service and would be happy to post them here for Members to view.I would also like to add that this Service was carried out with great Dignity and i certainly found it a very humbling occassion.Rest in Peace Pte Mather.

PBI

Can you please show your photos? Would love to see them.

Gladly..I will edit them,and post them here in the Morning.RegardsRuss.

Russ - Post 81

Quote:

.I asked an Official of the CWGC what their stance was on this occassion about re enactors/Dressers up attending the Ceremony.He informed me that the Australian Army and various security personnel had been pre warned about these people turning up,and that their prescence inside the cemetery during the Service would not be tolerated

That statement from the CWGC representative and the attitude of the Australian Army certainly speaks volumes does it not. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Best Regards

Norman

Throwing in a curved ball here.

It gives people (including children) the opportunity to see how their relative may have been dressed when he was killed. It takes their visuals back in time whilst remembering the fallen.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

No problem with that Sandra but not at military funerals such as the one at Prowse Point. I refer you again to the statement made by the CWGC representative and as quoted by Russ who was there at the time. I think that the statement brings clarity to the view of the official organisers of such occasions, in this case the Australian military authorities.

Regards

Norman

the curved ball was not necessarily my opinion.

:)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Something else to consider that is not within the 'straight line' of the conversation.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Still no wiser I am afraid, in what context in relation to this topic are you using the expression?. This is a genuine request as I am still not clear.

Regards

Norman

other things to consider that are not in keeping with those being discussed in the conversation.

Its not easy trying to explain the mean of the Australian language at times.

:whistle:

Sandra, if you are referring to the discussion cantered around the photo-link which appeared to show a person dressed in WW1 British uniform in an unofficial role at Prowse Point on the day and time of the reburial of the Australian soldier then I would submit that this has a bearing on the subject of the thread.

I also consider that the statement as reported here in respect of the Australian Army attitude to such a person is important and of interest to members and should rightly be a proper subject for discussion within this thread. Mind you having said all this I am still not completely clear as to your comment and I am assuming that I have made the correct inference.

Regards

Norman

Throwing in a curved ball here.

It gives people (including children) the opportunity to see how their relative may have been dressed when he was killed. It takes their visuals back in time whilst remembering the fallen.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

If I may respond to this sub-thread that seems to have suddenly returned out of "left field":

I think in a previous thread (which I can't find), there was a general agreement that what you say is true, but there is disquiet amongst a number as to the appropriateness of the time and location. Whilst it was not a problem here (single person outside the cemetery not interfering with the action - just looking a bit Python-esque), having two parallel ceremonies could also cause significant problems.

David

He got on well with the soldiers later at Ploegsteert

He certainly had his work cut out,changing his Kit,then running back and forth across the road to the Memorial everytime someone wanted a Photo of Him,surprised he never got hit by a passing Vehicle.I didnt realise he was a "Bantam" either.

Thanks for those great pics SPOF.

I think the one where the re-enactor is included in the front rank absolutely demonstrates the contextual and historical value of having him around. Of course this is only my opinion. It might be even more valuable if the modern troops were in their modern combat gear but it's a great image - though no doubt caused certain Pals to choke on their cornflakes. However, I doubt whether the troops were dragooned to stand with him. Indeed a number of them look quite cheerful. They don't look as if they want to feed him to the lions (geddit!)

Personally, I don't see anything pythonesque about the re-enactor though others may not concur.

I quite agree with the interdiction on any re-enactors being involved in the ceremonies but I suspect that it may well be partly for very practical reasons related to the difficulties of integrating any amateurs (even talented ones) into pre-rehearsed drills and out of respect for the well known anti re-enactor stance of a substantial number of people - and of course their opinions should be respected and have been.

I must say that having been at Fromelles on Monday, I was hugely impressed by their conduct at the ceremony and generally in the Fromelles area. They no doubt did an equally great job at Prowse Point and it is nice that they were given the privilege of parading at Ploegsteert and would suggest that part of that privilege was to have a "Tommy" with them.

No problem with that Sandra but not at military funerals such as the one at Prowse Point. I refer you again to the statement made by the CWGC representative and as quoted by Russ who was there at the time. I think that the statement brings clarity to the view of the official organisers of such occasions, in this case the Australian military authorities.

Regards

Norman

Could this possibly be a recent view of the Australian military authorities? At the Anzac Day service at the Australian Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux in 2009 (I wasn't there this year so don't know), there was a man in WWI uniform standing at the Stone of Remembrance when everyone begun to arrive well before 4 am. Later he marched up and stood between the French and the Australian flags during the ceremony. He was there throughout the entire proceedings.

Regards

Judy