Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tadcaster Airfield

auchonvillerssomme

I would be grateful if anyone could show me a plan, ie direction, length and placing of runways at Tadcaster (Bramham Moor) Airfield.

Mick

That is very helpful Jane, thank you.

Hi Mick.

Just up the road from me. The site, was, or still is, used by Leeds University.

Often known as Bramham Moor.

Only thing i can tell you Mick, there is one Bessoneau Hangar in situ.

June 1914, occupied by 33 Squadron, R.F.C. moved from Bristol to defend Leeds.

Aircraft: BE2cs and BE12s. "B" Flight by April 1916 were operating from York Racecourse (Knavesmire).

If you search 'Copmanthorpe,' i put up some threads that may be relevant.

All the best.

Chris.

• 3 months later...

...... there is one Bessoneau Hangar in situ.

AFAIUI, the extant hangar is a RFC General Service Flight Shed, sometimes confused with the Belfast Hangar.

Post #4 here has a photo.

The Bessoneau was a canvas jobby. (I used the past tense, unless someone has restored the example from RAF Odiham.)

Rgds

cb

Hi dave, I have those pictures, what i was looking for was a picture of the configuration of runway and buildings.

CB, looking at some of the earlier hangers they appear to be a bit like Triggers broom, 5 new handles and 7 new brushes. I passed Tadcaster yesterday and the roof certainly doesn't appear original and I doubt the wood would have lasted nearly a hundred years. Was it common for hangers to be dismantled and sold privately, there are a few large farm buildings/barns locally that appear to resemble hangers.

Mick

Was it common for hangers to be dismantled and sold privately, there are a few large farm buildings/barns locally that appear to resemble hangers.

Mick, knowing Yorkshire farmers I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised. Equally, if the farmer had a Government-supplied barn on his land, he might well be tempted to maintain it for as long as possible, if it didn't hurt his pocket too much.

Funny folk, us Yorkies.

Andy

I used to be a prison officer at Lindholme Prison (RAF Lindholme as was) and spent many hours examining the hangers and outbuildings. Interesting places and very evocative.

Mick

Visited Lindholme and Northern Radar as a cadet in the early 70s, as well as a fair number of other RAF stations in Yorkshire. Evocative, as you say.

I guess you're familiar with 'Lindholme Willy'?

Andy

Of course, I've seen hard men refuse to even go into certain areas alone or even look at some windows in case he was looking back.

Mick

• 11 years later...
On 04/10/2010 at 11:12, cloudbuster said:

Mick, knowing Yorkshire farmers I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised. Equally, if the farmer had a Government-supplied barn on his land, he might well be tempted to maintain it for as long as possible, if it didn't hurt his pocket too much.

Here is a picture of the inside of the hanger, sort of confirming your suggestion, however the hanger is now used by Askham Bryan Agricultural College for teaching purposes. (It was once the University of Leeds Agricultural Department.) The exterior is well looked after.

There was a building by the river in the centre of Tadcaster whichis thought to have used the roof and upper part of one of the other hangers. Sadly it was demolished many years ago.

20200810_110337.jpg

20200810_110436.jpg