Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Training the Staff of the EEF

ddycher

Kim

His attachment with the 46th Punjabis is in the April 1915 Army List. The 53rd Sikh's in July 1915.

Regards

Dave

Dear Dave,

Super: many thanks for that.

post-122353-0-02796200-1445806684_thumb.For your interest, here is a picture of Beverley Carthew Covell in 1900, when Captain of Sports at The King's School, Canterbury.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 2 months later...

Kim

Was Covell a Staff Capt with the 32nd (Imperial Service) Bde ?

Regards

Dave

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your continued interest in B. C. Covell, IARO.

Covell was certainly, in 1916, involved with 23 Imp Service Bde - but was Staff Captain with 49th Indian Infantry Brigade from 17 Dec 1917, vice Capt C. F. Moore, MC (IA). Beverley Carthew Covell was clearly capable enough to have been latterly Mentioned in Despatches.

Any further information would be gratefully received - especially an officer group photo.

You and GWF members at large may be interested to read my on-going Covell-saga manuscript...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dok1.doc

Kim

Many thanks for sharing. Will cross ref with my research and get back to you.

Regards

Dave

Dear Dave,

Super! Many thanks indeed.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim

Have a theory. I think, (maybe !!) that Covell joined the 46th Pujabis at Nowshera on joining up. He was trained at Nowshera where both the 1st DLI and the 46th Punjabis were part of the 2nd Nowshera Bde, Peshwar Div. He was then posted to the Regimental Centre at Bannu. Home to the 53rd Sikh's. Bannu was then the concentration point for the Imperial Service Bde having been formed there around the 33rd Punjabis. I think he was posted fromt here to join the Imperial Service Bde in Egypt arriving in Egypt on the 22nd and joining the Alwar Jai Patan on the 23rd at Moascar.

Do you have anything to confirm / reject this ?

Regards

Dave

Dear Dave,

That sounds plausible indeed.

I will incorporate your most welcome theory into my on-going manuscript. Many thanks!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 2 years later...

Kim

Do you know anything about Beverley Covell’s predecessor in the 49th Ind. Inf. Bde. C. F. Moore ?

Regards

Dave