Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GSWA Service Card puzzle

bag357

post-56040-1276872873.jpg

Does anyone have a thought on the first( left side) entry on this service card.I cannot match it to any unit listed in the OOB for GSWA campaign?

The only unit that appears on the GWA card it refers to is D Squadron Krugersdorp Rifles 12 th Mounted,that makes sense since they were in GWSA.However to compound the issue,I have a photo of this gent in the undress blues of the ILH.

The SWA card also reflects his 1914-15 Star and other records of his service file indicate his British War and Victory medals.

Any insights would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,Bruce

Does anyone have a thought on the first( left side) entry on this service card.I cannot match it to any unit listed in the OOB for GSWA campaign?

The only unit that appears on the GWA card it refers to is D Squadron Krugersdorp Rifles 12 th Mounted,that makes sense since they were in GWSA.However to compound the issue,I have a photo of this gent in the undress blues of the ILH.

Bruce

I may be missing something here but doesn't the card say "12th Mtd Rifles K'dorp Rifles", i.e. it's one unit, Krugersdorp Rifles were the 12th Mounted Rifles.

Chris Boonzaier's site here.... http://www.kaiserscross.com/40117/40726.html shows that they fought in both the Rebellion and G.S.W.A.;

12th M.R. Krugersdorp Rifles Rebellion Mil.Dist.No.7 Kroonstad and Bethlehem 11.12.14

12th M.R. Krugersdorp Rifles G.S.W.A. Mil.Dist.No.7 Southern Force 11.2.15 and were part of the Right Wing of 4th Mounted Brigade in GSWA.

Regards

Steve

Bruce

I may be missing something here but doesn't the card say "12th Mtd Rifles K'dorp Rifles", i.e. it's one unit, Krugersdorp Rifles were the 12th Mounted Rifles.

Chris Boonzaier's site here.... http://www.kaiserscross.com/40117/40726.html shows that they fought in both the Rebellion and G.S.W.A.;

12th M.R. Krugersdorp Rifles Rebellion Mil.Dist.No.7 Kroonstad and Bethlehem 11.12.14

12th M.R. Krugersdorp Rifles G.S.W.A. Mil.Dist.No.7 Southern Force 11.2.15 and were part of the Right Wing of 4th Mounted Brigade in GSWA.

Regards

Steve

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the reply,I'm o.k. with the Krugersdorp Rifles have that info.

Unless I'm going mad,there is an entry on the left side written over the SERVICE section

It appears to my eye as 2 numerals th J N S D rifles,K'dorp appears on the right side after remarks

Maybe I am going mad.

Thanks,Bruce

It appears to my eye as 2 numerals th J N S D rifles,K'dorp appears on the right side after remarks

Surely the 2 numerals are '18th' (or possibly '12th'). And the 'JNSD' that you're seeing is, as Steve said in his post, 'Mtd' (common abbreviation for 'mounted').

So it reads '18th' (to my eyes, '12th' to Steve's eyes) 'Mtd Rifles'. No?

Surely the 2 numerals are '18th' (or possibly '12th'). And the 'JNSD' that you're seeing is, as Steve said in his post, 'Mtd' (common abbreviation for 'mounted').

So it reads '18th' (to my eyes, '12th' to Steve's eyes) 'Mtd Rifles'. No?

That's certainly how I'm reading it, 12th Mtd. Rifles K'dorp Rifles.

I'm convinced it's a 2 written over the S in Service which I can see could make it look a bit like an 8, the form appears to be the same as the 2 in his service number at the top of the page, what do you think?

Steve

I'm convinced it's a 2 written over the S in Service which I can see could make it look a bit like an 8, the form appears to be the same as the 2 in his service number at the top of the page, what do you think?

Looking at it again, I think you're almost certainly right, though the upper curve of the '2' seems to be much shorter than on the other '2'. I'm no expert on S.A. units, but I'm guessing that there's only going to be 1 unit that fits the bill. Most likely contender; 12th, least likely contender; 18th.

So back to So Cal.....