Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras 1918 + 1917

JimSmithson

Thanks Steve

We were Outstanding 4 years ago and the pressure is on to get the same. As I have the dubious honour of being the one interrogated over data (ie exam results and progress) and Inclusion, I feel a bit of a weight on my shoulders. Thus the retreat into Great War stuff!! :wacko:

Jim

Now for our brothers down under these are from Noreuil Australian Cemetery.

post-28845-0-89377700-1300650940.jpg

post-28845-0-39100300-1300650994.jpg

The row of stones against the wall are all from 50th Battalion AIF. The originals were all destroyed in 1918 and so all these are Special Memorials.

Out of curiosity when were these pics taken ?

Out of curiosity when were these pics taken ?

About 2 o'clock on 24th February. Digital photography makes such questions so much easier these days!!

Why do you ask?

Jim

• Admin

Rookery Cemetery does not have a cross- very unusual if not unique I would have thought.

Michelle

I had forgotten that Michelle!

Just in case folk don't believe us

post-28845-0-36246500-1300734934.jpg

Jim

• Admin

Those trees were very welcome last July on a very hot day! Lovely view up to Heninel-Croisilles Road Cemetery from here

Michelle

...and also in the other direction!

post-28845-0-23105700-1300737502.jpg

Thank you Michelle - this has been superb therapy after the pain of the weekend and before the inspectors arrive tomorrow.

Must stop now and do some more work :doh:

Jim

• Admin

Good luck Jim

Michelle

Thank you Michelle - promise I have a few more photos to keep you going to the next trip to France when this particular 'visit' is over! B)

Jim

About 2 o'clock on 24th February. Digital photography makes such questions so much easier these days!!

Why do you ask?

Jim

I was there with my daughter June 2010 and i was curious if it was before or after as we'd left something at a grave of an unknow to commemerate her GG grandfather who was killed at Noriel in 1917 and has no known grave and just wondered if it was still there and poss in the photo.

Thanks Jim.

Iv'e really enjoyed following this thread. Great information for future visits. Look forward to more...

After OFSTED, of course.

Cheers

• Admin

Thank you Michelle - promise I have a few more photos to keep you going to the next trip to France when this particular 'visit' is over! B)

Jim

Just booked a long weekend staying at Richebourg in April- can't wait! Might even take the bike.............

Michelle

Osvaldo

I do look at everything that is left by folk but I really cannot recall whether there was anything at this cemetery or not. Sorry.

Michelle

Careful with the bike thing - already had the saga of one big bike accident on the Forum; we don't want another. Hope it's not the Royal thingy weekend you've booked :whistle:!!

Jim

• Admin

It is the Royal Wedding weekend actually Jim, can't make the previous weekend as I have to cover colleagues holidays.............

How did the OFSTED go?

Michelle

Ah. Escaping a royal wedding! A pastime I have indulged with often in the past!! :ph34r:

No chance to get on the Forum last night, in school till gone 10.

Feedback this afternoon and we kept our outstanding so we are mighty chuffed! :thumbsup: When I've trawled the new posts I will be putting an invite to drink and be merry in the Club.

Jim

Jim, thank-you for this, as a forum member enduring the tyranny of distance these are the only battlefield vistas I get these days! Sorry to hear about the motorcycle accident - like Michelle & Wayne it was always my preferred method of travelling to the Front, weather permitting. Is everyone recovered?

Simmo.

Simmo

I am very fortunate in being able to wander the fields of France and Flanders very often and I try and get photos onto here because I know there are many less fortunate. Really glad you appreciate them. I've a few moments so here is a continuation of the rather grey February travels in less popular areas.

The following are all Queant Rd Cemetery. Its a pretty big concentration cemetery and they have lopped the big trees down, not sure why, giving it a very plain character in this grey weather. I did, however, see the first signs of Spring and thus the odd flower photo. If anyone knows more of Captain Cherry's story beyond what it says in the citation it would add a little something to this bit of the thread.

post-28845-0-17315400-1301139597.jpg

post-28845-0-46460100-1301139632.jpg

post-28845-0-42047100-1301139670.jpg

post-28845-0-78034600-1301139735.jpg

I loved the message left by this family visiting from Australia.

post-28845-0-90748000-1301140379.jpg

Jim

Great pictures,it looks a lovely area Arras,we are visiting TRANCHEE DE MECKNES CEMETERY, AIX-NOULETTE which isnt too far from Arras in August

Garry

You are certainly not very far away at all. Depending how much time you have Arras itself is well worth a visit (see other threads on the Wellington Caves etc.) Quite close by you have Notre Dame de Lorette, the very impressive French National Cemetery and lighthouse-like Ossuary and of course Vimy Ridge.

Jim

"Careful with the bike thing - already had the saga of one big bike accident on the Forum; we don't want another."

As someone who likes to get over to the battlefields on a bike, I'm just curious to know what was the saga?

Tom

• 6 years later...

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and this seems as good as place as any to place the story of Ernest Topping, killed at Croisilles on 2nd April 1917.  Ernest is buried in Croisilles Railway Cemetery, but is memorialised at Arras as his grave marker was lost.  We are waiting on the National Army Museum so that a Gravestone can be placed here.  Anyway I hope you will enjoy the story and I've attached some pictures 

IMG_5562.jpg

IMG_5576.jpg

IMG_5586.jpg