Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras 1918 + 1917

JimSmithson

Walked on over the hill a little with views towards Point du Jour gave an different point of observation of Bailleul Rd East Cemetery.

post-28845-1276976466.jpg

Then down to Roclincourt Valley Cemetery where the flowers were just gorgeous.

post-28845-1276976595.jpg

post-28845-1276976634.jpg

Next stop towards Farbus where the new version of the 1:25000 has added some 'abri' to the map and they coincide with features on the trench map.

post-28845-1276977081.jpg

post-28845-1276977104.jpg

Note the older map from Linesman is not so clear about them.

There was certainly plenty of evidence that war had been in the woods

post-28845-1276977320.jpg

Lots of those around the field, then in the wood lots of concrete.

post-28845-1276977400.jpg

post-28845-1276977436.jpg

3 of the former easy to see plus other evidence such as the latter photo. Also the whole woodland is clearly untouched since the war.

I leave it to the experts to say what the positions were.

Before I went home I called in at the visitors centre at Vimy to see how this year's guides were getting on and called down at Canadian No. 2. It was just before they closed the road and all the visitors had gone. I was left on my own on a lovely early summer evening - magic, just sat on the grass for a while. How on earth do they keep it looking like a bowling green when so many visitors walk through?

post-28845-1276977869.jpg

Finally to close this little thread I spotted an inscription that meant a lot to a rather worn out teacher who had, at that time, yet to get anywhere near finishing the timetable, due in 3 weeks time.

post-28845-1276978045.jpg

I am certainly enjoying the 'peace of the done' now.

Jim

I leave it to the experts to say what the positions were.

In respect of this area, I thought the expert was you!

Roger

I am not a Mebu expert, I leave that to Forum member Mebu! :P I have a feeling they were something to do with artillery as an early trench map does show artillery positions in the same spot. Anyone got photos of similar constructions?

I am also hoping that Nigel Cave looks in on the thread, I could well imagine that he knows the position anyway, it does belong to the Vimy area and I would always bow to his knowledge in that neck of the woods!

All those screw pickets were not being utilised any more - anybody got a trick for easily removing them. Not that I would of course without asking permission.

Jim

Thanks for posting the photos, Jim.

I never cease to be astounded by how well kept the CWGC cemeteries are, the one at Roclincourt Valley is particularly beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would add to Steve's comment with a few pics where I thought the gardener were doing a super job - taken in May but some beautiful arrangements of plants. I'll leave you to work out the cemetery(s).

post-28845-1278445547.jpg

post-28845-1278445650.jpg

post-28845-1278445695.jpg

Finally one I didn't include in the set earlier for our Canadian friends.

post-28845-1278445787.jpg

Just over 2 weeks and there again - great :D

Jim

Most impressive pics Jim. Please keep on posting them. One of my Great War interests is Arras 1917 and it is very helpful to see photographs of the landscape , with all the memorials and the graves to supplement my reading. Much appreciated.

Stressful day at work today, getting close to completing a job with all the accompanying rush to finish it on time, to rush headlong into the next one.

Then I click on this thread and once again with this forum, I'm humbled by several things.

The pictures. Lovely, really lovely. Perfectly framed landscapes with accompanying text that just makes you want to learn more.

The dedication. It's clear from a few self effacing lines of text that shows how much you care about your chosen subject.

The cemeteries. Well, we're all humbled by them of course but you've captured their essence at a specific and relevant moment in time.

The flower displays around the graves. If ever we would question the dedication of the gardeners of the CWGC we need not worry, as it is plain for all to see. They do not just garden, they paint swirls of colour around the fallen that shows a duty of care taken to the limit and perfectly showing off the ordered rows of white stones. Hard and soft landscaping married into a thing of beauty.

And I've a sneaky suspicion you might be a bit of a poet. :)

Not stressed now. Cheers Jim.

• Admin

Are the pictures Fampoux British Cemetery and Sunken Lane Jim?

Michelle

• Admin

Didn't look as verdant last time I was there if the guess is right! I expect the grass looks pretty brown at the moment over in the cemeteries.

Michelle

Stressful day at work today, getting close to completing a job with all the accompanying rush to finish it on time, to rush headlong into the next one.

And I've a sneaky suspicion you might be a bit of a poet. :)

Can sympathise with the first part! Glad to be of service. You must be the first person ever who has suggested the latter! :unsure:

Now - all the same cemetery. Is it Sunken Road or Fampoux British? Here's a clue, the view from near the cemetery.

post-28845-1278527491.jpg

Jim

• Admin

I'm going to say Fampoux British....................

No wonder they promoted you Michelle! :D

Jim

• Admin

I thank you Sir! I take it the cigar is in the post? :w00t:

Michelle

Nasty 'orrible things. Have a lovely cemetery instead. I'm sure you know which.

post-28845-1278530765.jpg

Jim

• Admin

Cuckoo Passage I think.

Michelle

Cuckoo Passage I think.

Michelle

Spot on.

Jim