Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras 1918 + 1917

JimSmithson

For those who may, by my posts, think that I am totally fixated on Arras 1917 here are some recent photos of my wanderings around the further reaches, remembering those who fought in the 1918 battles. OK its Arras again I know!

First stop Sun Quarry - a place ot visit for our Canadian friends, as are all bar the last of the locations to come. Its a shame that more who travel all this way to go to Vimy don't look out for some of the areas where the Canadian Corps showed yet more of their drive in 1918.

post-28845-1276798080.jpg

Onto Quebec Cemetery and more Canadians. There will not be these good views of and from the cemetery in later summer, the crops around it are all maize and will obscure the whole site by then.

post-28845-1276798401.jpg

post-28845-1276798455.jpg

I was struck by this inscription 'fondly remembered by Wifie, Bub and Tiss'

post-28845-1276798577.jpg

Walking down for Quebec has this lovely view of Valley Cemetery with Vis-en-Artois behind, lovely setting.

post-28845-1276798689.jpg

This is a rather strange headstone in Valley Cemetery. Usually memorials such as this are found nearer to the original burial, Thilloy being some way from here.

post-28845-1276798798.jpg

The headstone of Lieutenant Slattery in Valley Cemetery. Not the best of image but it still speaks for itself.

post-28845-1276798958.jpg

Finally on the way back thought I would visit Summit Trench as it was also 1918, if not on the same Canadian theme.

post-28845-1276799072.jpg

Not the best setting for a cemetery. The other side of the fence in the background is the motorway!

These were all part of a day around Cherisy (OK yes I was out looking at 1917 sites) but the other photographs from the day will not mean much to folk other than Andy or other 14th Division buffs! I won't bore you with them.

Jim

Great photos Jim. Valley Cemetery is a firm favourite of a Mr Nicholls of Arras fame – he took me there about ten years ago. I recall it having a large number of highly decorated Canadians in it. Can I add myself to that list who wouldn’t be bored by more photos?!

cheers again

Whatever makes you think that anyone on the Forum would be bored by more pics?

Bring them on!!!

Bruce

That's pretty much where I'm from, andd I'm always amazed by all those cemetaries, lost in the field, with no idea how to reach them...

I will always remember my little adventure to Dury Mill Cemetary... I wasn't even sure my car would come back with me...

Nice pics Jim!

Whatever makes you think that anyone on the Forum would be bored by more pics?

Bring them on!!!

Bruce

Totally agree.

Roger

• Admin

Summit Trench must have been very isolated before the motorway went through. Took us a while to find last year as we were using an old map..............

Michelle

Fixate all you like. But keep the pic's coming. Real gems.

Thanks for posting.

Thank you and OK, here come a few photos of woods and fields! :P I will try and explain what you are looking at.

First looking south west from the track/road junction just SE of Bois de Guémappe. The line of trees you see in the distance is the sunken road near to Cuckoo Passage Cemetery for those who know it. It shows the land fought over in the 2nd and 3rd Battles of the Scarpe in a vain attempt to take Chérisy and Fontaine-lés-Croisilles.

post-28845-1276955370.jpg

Now looking in the other direction, Triangle Wood is in the distance, although only the right half of it was in place in 1917, the left is all quite recent (only shown on the most recent 1:25000 maps). Not far from where the photograph was taken was where the British front lines reached by 24th April but were to go no further, despite a number of attacks.

post-28845-1276955790.jpg

Triangle Wood close up. What surprises people about this wood is that shortly after the tree line the ground falls sharply about 10 metres. The whole area from the edge of the wood back is very complicated and would have been ideal for dugouts etc. Very defensible.

post-28845-1276956075.jpg

Triangle Wood again from the southern tip.

post-28845-1276956235.jpg

By the way, anyone who has not seen Andy's (Stiletto) 90th Anniversary post on the Rifle Brigade's attack in this area here is a link

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...&hl=Cherisy

This is the kind of view possible from these positions. Monchy-le-Preux

post-28845-1276956602.jpg

Jim

Walking back towards Chérisy looking across the Sensée valley towards Valley Cemetery to return to the 1918 theme.

post-28845-1276957134.jpg

The gentle slopes that can be seen must have been the area of the events of 30th August 1918 which led to the 31 Canadian graves in Valley Cemetery. The attack on Orix Trench (some way off on the horizon in the photograph) seems to be shrouded in a little mystery. The 3rd Canadian Battalion lost 5 officers killed that day, including Slattery. There is an interesting blog on the topic here

http://smartpei.typepad.com/robert_paterso...y_cemetery.html

which, if you keep scrolling to the comments has relatives of Edward Slattery joining in. iT seems he won his MMs on the Somme, Vimy and 3rd Ypres whilst still a NCO and ahis DCM at Fresnoy in 1917. The mystery seems to deepen as he was recommended for the VC for the action in whichhe was killed but supposedly this was reduced to an MC but that also was never awarded.

Again across the valley towards Quebec Cemetery.

post-28845-1276957916.jpg

Jim

I thought I may as well add some of my other wanderings whilst some time is available (timetable is finished!! :w00t: )

post-28845-1276975969.jpg

Still working on 30th Division material plus nice day means Neuville-Vitasse Cemetery gets another photo.

My work is also now spreading north so Roclincourt was again visited and walked over. A nice couple of shots of Highland Cemetery.

post-28845-1276976206.jpg

Also adding Jeremy that Mr Nicholls woz 'ere as they say quite recently (i.e. in the visitors book)

post-28845-1276976334.jpg