Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Keeping track of your collection....

(nzef)

Hi All,

I've put together an Access database that you can use to track your collection - It's aimed at medals, but if you know Access (2007) then you can modify it to suit your needs. If you don't have Access I believe you can download the Runtime Viewer from Microsoft for Free.

If anyone wants a copy - then let me know.

Shot of record info...

post-19785-1276700329.jpg

post-19785-1276700406.jpg

Yes not bad at all just the thing that would help out the inventory ..Well Done :thumbsup:

MC

Glad I'm not a Medal collector. :D

Can't find my Dad's WW2 Medals and his Brother's WW1 Medals.

But they are in the house,somewhere. :lol:

George

Going through a phase where i think what is the point in continuing to collecting medals :huh: I have an MM a few KSLI trios an others. I'm seriously considering selling them all.

Neil

Going through a phase where i think what is the point in continuing to collecting medals :huh: I have an MM a few KSLI trios an others. I'm seriously considering selling them all.

Neil

Neil let me have first refusal .. :blink:

MC ...continuing to collecting medals ..its not like its life and death its far more important than that :hypocrite:

Neil let me have first refusal .. :blink:

MC ...continuing to collecting medals ..its not like its life and death its far more important than that :hypocrite:

Agreed! - It's an addiction with no cure!...well one..but I dont want to think about that just yet :-)

I've about 35 medals in all. Only started to collect them last year.

The MM is my pride and joy. Although i have a strange attachment to a pair to the Canadian Forestry Corps.

Neil

A word to the wise , there are indications that MSoft are likely to drop Access in the not too distant future so converting to SQL would be a wise move (there are tools that will do this if the database isn't too complex)

A word to the wise , there are indications that MSoft are likely to drop Access in the not too distant future so converting to SQL would be a wise move (there are tools that will do this if the database isn't too complex)

Even if they do, it wont have any impact on the database :-)

I work with SQL every day and wouldn't wish it on anyone :hypocrite:

It will if the next MS operating system release doesn't support it properly

I've about 35 medals in all. Only started to collect them last year.

The MM is my pride and joy. Although i have a strange attachment to a pair to the Canadian Forestry Corps.

Neil

Glad to hear the MM is your pride and joy, perhaps you need to focus on one subject lol

Regards as always Doug

It will if the next MS operating system release doesn't support it properly

Ok - Firstly - I'm offering something for free that I have put MANY hours in.

I take your point about compatibility - BUT there are many ways around this

Secondly - I'm working with Windows 7, 2008 and the next version (beta) right now and it works fine with them. So there's at least 2-3 years of no issues.

You can always create a Virtual App & run it, irrespective of the OS you are running it on - In fact I think I might do that :-)

I would be very interested in taking up your kind offer.

Cheers

Cheers

PM your email address & I will send it on to you

Cheers

Cheers

Yes please as well .MC

You will have a PM from me too in just few seconds!

Many thanks for your offer!

Cheers,

Nigel

Can someone please explain to me what will replace Access please?

Hi Kim,

Nothing will 'replace' Access for the forseeable future. However, there are a mulitude of DB applications that can do a similar job - You just have to google 'access replacement' to see what I mean.

In the interm, if you want a basic relational database program that anyone can learn (with a bit of patience) then Access gets my vote.

For eveyone who has PM'd me - I'll get it sent within the next few days.

Cheers

Thank you for your explanation. I had planned to use Access to set up my own database on my research (and possibly use that as a basis for a website) Would this still be the way to go - or should I hang fire?

Thank you for your explanation. I had planned to use Access to set up my own database on my research (and possibly use that as a basis for a website) Would this still be the way to go - or should I hang fire?

Hi Kim - In my opinion, you are fine to continue with Access. Access data can be exported to MySQL, which is a good back end database for Web sites. I infact used this process for the gallantry, images & tracking databases on www-nzef-ww1.com.

If you need any tips, just let me know.

Cheers

Diane, I'm focussing on errrrr, ............................ Harrogate!

nzef, thanks for your thoughts, I may well take you up on that offer too :D although it could still be a while yet, I'm still in the research stage :o

I work with SQL every day and wouldn't wish it on anyone :hypocrite:

SQL? Don't get me started!

Great job. I personally do not have need of the database (I do not collect medals...yet!) but I think it is a wonderful creation and will be quite helpful for many folks.

-Daniel

The database looks great and I'd be very grateful for a copy.

I'll PM you with my e-mail address.

Many thanks,

Paul