Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Youre gonna love this if you are researching Australians

museumtom

I repeat everything Michael said.

Brilliant find Tom, and thanks for sharing it.

It might throw up something of the Irish AIF men I'm soon going to be looking at.

Cheers,

Nigel

Glad to help, I appreciate this site as much as you do.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Cheers Tom.

Thanks to your link I found the announcement of my great uncle's death in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Neil

I was going to post a poem that was written by an Irishman. He was in Gallipoli when he wrote it. The introduction said that there was a lot of soldiers that decomposed after they died and did not have id on them as the Turkish snipers used to take them from their victims and were buried in 'unknown' graves. I did a search for the poem and it came up in the newspaper site that I posted and no-where else had it.

So now I know where the Irish regional newspaper got it from initially.

Regards.

Tom.

We are so lucky. I use the direct sources often but to have an engine like this is brilliant.

Jonathan

Great find, Tom, and an equally valuable addition by Dave. The British Library Newspaper archive at Colindale has recently announced a project to begin digitising its own much larger and older collection - but alas the Great War era is not at present included in the initial phase of this mammoth programme. Discussion of the project, and of efforts to persuade the BL to digitise its holdings of GW period newspapers in time for the upcoming centenaries, is here - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...mp;hl=Colindale

Like so many newspaper digitisation projects, there are the inevitable problems with OCR software failing to recognise a lot of the text. What's particularly good about the NLA site is that you can see an image of the original paper alongside the OCR attempt at deciphering it. It's an important reminder of how imperfect OCR is.

It doesn't end there: the NLA invite registered users to log in and correct the transcriptions, so the overall quality is improving all the time. Some people must spend their entire waking hours on there, to judge from the number of corrections they've made.

If only the London Gazette would follow suit!

Jane

Brilliant!

Two things never cease to amaze me

1. the advanced state of research resources in Australia

2. the help of people on this forum in pointing them out - I did not know of this source and I live here.

Thanks

Michael

3 its free . Agree i live here and i also did not know about this site.thanks. MC

Good links, Thanks. Searching these databases should nicely occupy the next wet day.

Moonraker

Great site, thanks for the link. Another great site to help with research.

Cheers Clarke

That is awesome!

Cheers Andy.

I was visiting Canberra and our National Library of Australia a month or so back and was told to check back often as though the site says they have only scanned up to 1954, for some newspapers they have gotten further and are adding more every day. Pals may prefer to broaden their search of the NLA a little by using the "trove" as in treasure trove, link NLA Trove Search

cheers,

Hendo

I would suggest that all Australian Forum members join the National Library of Australia. It can be done on-line at www.nla.gov.au, costs nothing, and your membership is confirmed in a matter of a few days.

There are some very useful on-line databases accessible from home available to NLA members, among them the BL 19th century newspaper collection, periodical collections, JSTOR, etc. etc.

You will be advised of additions to the NLA by its ezine.

I'm surprised no-one on here knew about the newspaper collection and 'Trove'. They've been around for a while now. I've taken them for granted, so apologies for not spreading the word.

Forum members from Victoria can also join the State Library of Victoria slv.vic.gov.au. Once again it's free. Among on-line collections accessible from home at the SLV is The Times digital archive ('The Times on-line') 1785-1985. Probably other State Libraries give you access to The Times, but I don't know for sure. Just look and see.

Noel

I would suggest that all Australian Forum members join the National Library of Australia. It can be done on-line at www.nla.gov.au, costs nothing, and your membership is confirmed in a matter of a few days.

There are some very useful on-line databases accessible from home available to NLA members, among them the BL 19th century newspaper collection, periodical collections, JSTOR, etc. etc.

You will be advised of additions to the NLA by its ezine.

I'm surprised no-one on here knew about the newspaper collection and 'Trove'. They've been around for a while now. I've taken them for granted, so apologies for not spreading the word.

Forum members from Victoria can also join the State Library of Victoria slv.vic.gov.au. Once again it's free. Among on-line collections accessible from home at the SLV is The Times digital archive ('The Times on-line') 1785-1985. Probably other State Libraries give you access to The Times, but I don't know for sure. Just look and see.

Noel

Very true. Times Online is terrific too. The SLV is fantastic. I guess I should join NLA too, I seem to use its services a fair bit…

Jonathan

Jonathan - yes, thoroughly recommend NLA.

On the wider front, there are a number of on-line archives that I have found very useful indeed, not for First World War material in particular but rather for general research including military history - examples being Army Lists, Navy Lists, Lloyd's Registers, and so on.

Two I recommend are:

Internet Archive http://www.archive.org/index.php

The Open Library http://openlibrary.org/

One thing I do recommend to all internet users, irrepective of your topic or line of research, is to download and save to your hard drive anything that you consider to be of interest - even of potential interest. If your hard drive starts to fill, you can always save files to CD. Not only do you save download, but you ensure that you have the material you want if it is suddenly taken off the internet.

The worst example of this was a site known as 'Paper of Record.' This great site had newspaper material on it from all over the world, and was growing rapidly. I downloaded a lot of material from the 'Toronto Star.' Without warning the site was bought out by Google, and almost everythign that was freely available was taken down!

Libraries are also not immune from this problem. Many of their on-line databases are there because they pay a licence fee to the owner of the database. There's no guarantee that the licence will be renewed into the future.

So my motto is "Download and Save.'

Noel

Tom,

As a result of a link on this site I discovered details of a Great Uncle born in Ireland whose existance was unknown, until I obtained my Grandfather's Army records. I just tried a random check on this site in Australia, rumours of an elder brother who emmigrated to the US. or Oz. found details of his death in an accident in Brisbane in 1927. Real surprise. what a useful tool.

tony P

No problem, glad it works for you. If he was Irish post his name here and i will see if I have anything on him.

Regards.

Tom.