Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Oh what a lovely war.

aussie greg

Thanks Carol I will!........I did ! Wonderful singing. Amazingly the soprano was Yvonne Kenny and if i am not mistaken this was the role that set her on the the way. Donizetti rang a bell. I saw it on youtube but as you said the intro went on forever. Why i remember Yvonne Kenny is beyond me but now I can listen to it with renewed relevance and that is a good thing .

greg

CAROL DAVIS

Yvonne is Australian of course which may be why you remember her name.  Glad you liked the clip x

Ruth Caswell

I Dear Carol I worked with Maurice at Glyndebourne  and to hear his voice over the tannoy would lift the hairs at the back of your neck. He had  unique talent that combined his natural pure welsh tenor  , which he then  had the discipline to undergo the  technical training to become a top opera singer  ,but some how  Maurice did not loose the purity of his true voice in the as so often happens in this process.

I am always  lifted by the oh what a lovely war  clip  but want all fans to know that his beautiful heart  breaking  performance as the young innocent Lensky in  Eugene Onegin will in my opinion never be bettered.

Bernard_Lewis

A wonderful voice and a moving rendition of a song which is one of the best parts of the film.

Best wishes to Maurice and look after yourselves!

Bernard

Thank you so much for the Donizetti excerpt !! 

M.

• 4 months later...
On 25/10/2019 at 19:32, CAROL DAVIS said:

I have been Maurice's partner for 45 years.   He was indeed the singer in the film and was appearing in opera at Glyndebourne when that scene was shot and went on to record and appear in many operas all over the world as a leading tenor.  Sadly, he now has dementia as he approaches his 81st birthday, as well as having had a stroke some 15 years ago which left him disabled and is in a nursing home here in Wales where we have lived for over 13 years.