Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

TonyBee

Oh what a lovely war.

TonyBee

Hi All;

In the film of 1969 directed by Richard Attenborough, there is a song sung by a lone soldier, he sings when this lousy war is over, based on What a friend we have in jesus.

In the credits of this film i beleive this soldier/actor to be Maurice Arthur, but wondered if he is the original singer.

Google search reveals many versions of the song, but my interest is in the original singer.

Would anyone know if the original mentioned above was indeed the singer, is there a CD or download from the original.

As i understand the soldier who acually sung this in wwi, was a Bill Pringle, a MGC of the Canadian army..Just something i read some where....

FOUND, thanks to youtube converter.

Malcolm Linham

Tony

I have the LP which states that it is the original sound track recording from the film and it confirms that Maurice Arthur was the vocalist.

The DVD of the film has been released and is I believe still available.

Malcolm

malch

I have the 2006 DVD which contains a number of production documentaties. I will look into it....

:)

M

PS sang it myself in a 1977 Production in Birmingham.

CAROL DAVIS

I have been Maurice's partner for 45 years.   He was indeed the singer in the film and was appearing in opera at Glyndebourne when that scene was shot and went on to record and appear in many operas all over the world as a leading tenor.  Sadly, he now has dementia as he approaches his 81st birthday, as well as having had a stroke some 15 years ago which left him disabled and is in a nursing home here in Wales where we have lived for over 13 years. 

seaJane
8 hours ago, CAROL DAVIS said:

I have been Maurice's partner for 45 years.   He was indeed the singer in the film and was appearing in opera at Glyndebourne when that scene was shot and went on to record and appear in many operas all over the world as a leading tenor.  Sadly, he now has dementia as he approaches his 81st birthday, as well as having had a stroke some 15 years ago which left him disabled and is in a nursing home here in Wales where we have lived for over 13 years. 

How kind of you to post, Carol. Best wishes to you and Maurice.

seaJane

T8HANTS

Maurice's rendition of the song has been my favorite moment in the film since the first time I saw it on the big screen.  If it is any consolation Carol I have derived years of pleasure from your partners performance.  Best wishes to you both.

Pat Atkins

Yes, me too Carol - even now I often find myself humming, whistling or even (badly) singing the song, thanks entirely to your partner's rendition of it in the film. Thanks for posting here, all the best to you both.

Pat

WhiteStarLine

Thanks for sharing that story Carol.  i've just listened and it is most beautifully sung.

squirrel
16 hours ago, T8HANTS said:

Maurice's rendition of the song has been my favorite moment in the film since the first time I saw it on the big screen.  If it is any consolation Carol I have derived years of pleasure from your partners performance.  Best wishes to you both.

Me also. Best wishes to both of you.

Tom Kilkenny

Watched it again last Sunday.  Maurice is wonderful.

John(txic)

His performance was one of the highlights of the film.

2ndCMR

Magnificent voice. 

Slightly OT, but in the versions of the film that I have seen online, there seems to be an unfortunate cut made in the music hall scene, where it is apparent that some bad news has just been read to the audience before the "Are we downhearted?" song begins.  I wonder if this is common to all versions of the film.

Marilyne

So sad to hear, Carol. Best wishes to both of you!

I think I'll re-watch the movie somwhere this week…

M.

Hyacinth1326

I was always stunned by the ending of the film. The crosses.

MikeyH
3 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

I was always stunned by the ending of the film. The crosses.

Yes, very moving and no c.g.i. then, wonder how long it took to set them up.

Mike.

CAROL DAVIS

Thank you for posting such lovely comments.  I will tell Maurice how much you appreciated his singing.

Ghazala

Bless you Carol.