Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beersheba War Cemetery

michaeldr

Kathi,

Welcome to the Great War Forum

I shall be pleased to help out in any way that I can

However, as I understand the situation, for security reasons there is a minimum number of posts that a new member has to make before they can use the forum's Personal Message system.

I will contact the Administration to see how we can get around this and exchange e-mail addresses

with best regards

Michael

Michael and Kathi - private messaging is available after two posts - so you should be OK

Alan

• 2 months later...

Kathi,

many thanks for adding that link to your great collection of photographs

Good luck with your studies

Michael

A collection of photos from the WW1 cemetery in Beer Sheva with some of the more interesting epitaphs

https://plus.google....4433?banner=pwa

Kathi, that link is unreal. I have never seen so many headstone photo's in one place of my wonderful Londoner's. Thank you.

Cheers Andy.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Andy

If you have any specific headstones you would like photographed, let me know. It is a beautiful and fascinating cemetery with many stories, and I would be happy to help anyone wanting photographs.

Kathi

• 4 months later...

The words that moved me the most when I visited Beersheba in November 2008 were:

FAREWELL DEAR HUSBAND

YOU SLEEP WITH THE BRAVE

IN A DISTANT LAND

OVER THE FOAM

I took a picture of the words (but can't for the life of me work out how to post a picture on here). Rather foolishly I did not take a shot of the entire headstone.

Many thanks Michael.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
On 13/06/2010 at 07:19, michaeldr said:

Corporal John Fielding came from Rawtenstall, Manchester, but he died serving with the 12th Australian Light Horse. Note the inscription at the foot of the headstone.

BeershevaFielding12ALH.jpg

Attached below is a copy of a relevant article from the Rossendale Free Press dated 2nd October 1915.  The subject is Fred Fielding, John/Jack Fielding's brother, however John/Jack gets a mention and, importantly, is shown in a photo. Fred survived the War.  Interestingly, (certainly to me) I've identified about half a dozen AIF fatalities from Rawtenstall to date.    

1893290701_FieldingBrothers.jpg.c0a78fcae45a0137c72df83bc95cbce8.jpg

Corporal John Fielding came from Rawtenstall, Manchester, but he died serving with the 12th Australian Light Horse. Note the inscription at the foot of the headstone.

BeershevaFielding12ALH.jpg

• 1 year later...