Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika Diary

Hello. I have a hand written diary of a Trooper Cooling, Derbyshire Yeomanry of his experiences in Salonika in WWI. I bought it from a dealer and have transcribed it (I am researching the Derbyshire Yeomanry in WWI), but I feel it needs to rest somewhere. I offered it to the National Archives who declined, saying they can only take official government papers. Someone suggested the IWM. Any other thoughts?

This is not for sale. I just feel (strongly) that we are only custodians of things like these and the info would be of interest to others.

I'm sure the IWM would offer a good home, and make it accessible for researchers.

Speaking as a member of the Salonika Campaign Society, had you considered making your transcription available as an article for the SCS's New Mosquito magazine?

Kate Wills said:

I'm sure the IWM would offer a good home, and make it accessible for researchers.

Speaking as a member of the Salonika Campaign Society, had you considered making your transcription available as an article for the SCS's New Mosquito magazine?

Thanks Kate. The diary is in the UK and I am in the US (British though) so I have to get back to deliver it at some stage. I do intend on sending a version to the New Mosquito but I have to do some work on it (add references, cross reference it with the DY War History 1914-1919 and the DY War Diaries for Salonika which I have). Once that is done, I will send it to the SCS's New Mosquito. It is mostly fairly mundane, but does have a few interesting high points and is quite written well. One very interesting aspect was a cavalry charge which went horribly wrong - straight into a Bulgarian trap. It may be one of the least recorded charges of the war although on a small scale (Troop level) it is not as well know as the Yeomanry charge at Huj in 1917 for obvious reasons. it is mentioned in the War History and the Diary too.

My instincts were IWM as its resting place. Glad you agree.

Regards

Can I suggest you make contact with the SCS chairman, Alan Wakefield. Not only is he the SCS chair but also works as a photographic curator at the IWM ........ AND he is a member of this forum under his own name......

Hope this helps.

Martin

Thanks. I will reach out to him. I may have had email exchenge with him some months ago when I first bought the diary. IWM certainly seems the place for it to rest. Thanks again . 

The Liddle Collection at Leeds University is home to a great many documents of this kind.

Edwin

• 1 month later...

I am new to the site, and have just come across the Salonika Diaries of my grandfather Col. George Hamilton Gordon DSO,CMG 116th Brigade RFA. They can be viewed at the Liddle Collection ref. SAL 028 . One is 212 pages long from 1917, and there are photos and postcards as well

• 1 month later...

I am new to the site, and have just come across the Salonika Diaries of my grandfather Col. George Hamilton Gordon DSO,CMG 116th Brigade RFA. They can be viewed at the Liddle Collection ref. SAL 028 . One is 212 pages long from 1917, and there are photos and postcards as well

Hi, I have just seen your post. My grandfather was in the 115th Brigade RFA in Salonika. I have been researching his war history for the past year and would be very interested in reading your grandfathers diary.

The problem with only being able to research via war diaries and trench maps is the knowledge gained is 2-dimensional, there is no human element. Email me if you like.

Andrew

• 6 months later...

Did you reach a decision?

Yes. Liddle Collection. It was an easy decision in the end. They seemed to be the most keen and extremely receptive. MG

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried searching for both Col. George Hamilton Gordon and Trooper Cooling (including variations) at the following address http://www.kcl.ac.uk...nfo/index.shtml (as well as the search engine) but to no avail. Can somebody please advise how I find these two diaries via the catalogue.

Andrew

The Tpr Cooling Diary is still with me until I have completed my research. If you need access to it, please PM me.

• 5 months later...

I have tried searching for both Col. George Hamilton Gordon and Trooper Cooling (including variations) at the following address http://www.kcl.ac.uk...nfo/index.shtml (as well as the search engine) but to no avail. Can somebody please advise how I find these two diaries via the catalogue.

Andrew

Andrew, I have been offline for quite a while and just came across your post. I am Col.Gordon's grandson and you will need to visit the Liddle Collection to see his diaries. All are under the reference of SAL 028. I myself have the diaries on disk and am hoping to look through them with my aunt , when I go to New Zealand this winter. Contact me if I can be of more help.

Farnham

• 9 months later...

I am afriad I have also been AWOL. My main iterest was just in reading them to get a general background on life for the soldier in Salonika hence why I was after an entire copy of each diary. Thanks for the offer any how. Andrew

Andrew, if it's easier you could always pick up a copy of my book: 'Under the Devil's Eye - the British Military Experience in Macedonia' (2nd edition published by Pen & Sword). This tells the story of the British Salonika Force using many accounts from letters, diaries, memoirs etc of men and women who served with the BSF.

ALAN

Regimental museum?

Hi Martin G,

I am working for a Belgian televisian program and we are currently making a program about the First World War. So I am interested in seeing a transcript of Trooper Cooling's diary. As I am new to this forum, I cannot send private messages yet, but you can reach me at the following emailadres: sarah.cordie@dechinezen.be

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

My name is Sarah and I am working for a Belgian television company. We are currently making a program about the First World War. Therefore we are looking for diaries or written testimonies of soldiers who served at Macedonia, Albania and Greece. It would be even better if there is also a photograph of the soldier. We are also interested in diaries/written testimonies of doctors, surgeons or other remarkable figures (like writers, artists, photogrpahers, journalists, ...)

Is there any one that may be able to help us?

Thanks so much!

Forum Pal Alan Wakefield is your man. He co-wrote Under The Devil's Eye about the British experience of the Salonika Campaign, a book I use constantly. He works at the Imperial War Museum and will be able to tell you where to find the sort of documents you need, probably between there and The National Archives at Kew. You might also want to contact The National Trust about the Sandham Memorial Chapel, which contains murals of Salonika front by the famous artist Stanley Spencer, who served there as did Sandham.

Keith

• 5 years later...

Now that Guest has left the forum and is no longer contactable, if anyone would like a copy of trooper Cooling's diary, send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy.