Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Josiah MacDonald

judecowie@mac.com

Hi All

I need help in determining the birth place of Josiah MacDonald and/or parents - tall order I guess.

This soldier is believed to moved from somewhere in Scotland to West Yorkshire

Please advise my next move.

Thanks and Regards

John

Hello John

4212 Josiah MacDonald was killed in action on 3.9.1916 serving with 1/5 West Riding Regiment. He enlisted in Huddersfield and was living in Liversedge, Yorkshire. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ron

Could this be your chap in 1911:

GREEN, Arthur Head M 39 1872 Coal Miner Hewer Almondsbury Yk Huddersfield

GREEN, Rose Hannah Wife Married 14 years F 38 1873 London Southwark

GREEN, Leonard Son M 14 1897 Robert Town Yks

GREEN, Albert Son M 4 1907 Robert Town Yks

MACDONALD, Josiah Adopted Son Single M 20 1891 Colliers Hurrier Stockport Cheshire

Grant

in 1901:

DONALD, Thomas M Work House Boy M 11 1890 Stockport Cheshire

DONALD, Josiah Work House Boy M 9 1892 Stockport Cheshire

(mistranscribed - the M in Thomas's name should be a Mc)

Living at 68, (Home), Church Gate, Stockport

Then I lose him

Grant

Hi

Here is CWGC - http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=802548 - now married and gives age so born abt 1891

Here is his marriage on Free BMD - http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl - so if you get that it should list his parents names

Cant find a birth on Scotlands People for that name and birth year +-2? or on Free BMD ??

Looks like marriage certificate is the way to go.

regards

Robert

Just bear in mind that, as a "Work House" boy, there may be no details of his father....

Was the adoption perhaps due to a family connection or just as a "cheap labour / extra source of income?

and could this, sadly, be his brother?

Name: McDONALD, THOMAS

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 28/09/1918

Service No: 8266

Additional information: Husband of Mary Jane McGough (formerly McDonald), of 23, Ratcliffe St., Middle Hillgate, Stockport, Cheshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXIV. B. 26.

Cemetery: LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

Thanks to all for your time and help - I now have a far better understanding of this man's life and I am well on the way to finding his parents, or would have been, but the fact he was adopted was a real curve ball.

Interesting none the less - thanks again for all your help - up to me know to act on this information.

Regards

John

According to Peter Higginbotham's encyclopaedic workhouse website, most of the records for Stockport workhouse have been lost, but there are some birth records for the period when Josiah would have been born. So if he was born in the workhouse you might get a new lead there.

You should also be able to send off for a copy of his birth certificate. . . if you can find him in the birth indexes! Do you know about the excellent Cheshire BMDs website? You can use it to search for Cheshire birth registrations. I see that some entries (including the Stockport ones) give mother's maiden name even in the 19th century, unlike the national (GRO) indexes of births, which only start including this info in the 20th c. So you might be able to pick out two Macdonalds or Mcdonalds who had the same mother. Failing this, perhaps there is an entry for him in a Stockport baptism register?

Good luck with your searching

Jane

John,

In view, of the Stockport connection,can I suggest you send a personal message to Forum Member,John Hartley,who may be able to assist you.

George

I think i may be able to help you if its the same Josiah

Im researching the Hartshead village(St Peters Church) war memorial.

Theres 24 names from the Great War

Josiah indeed resided with Mr and Mrs Green of Roberttown(stone throw away from Hartshead)

He Was married with 2 children(Mrs Frances E McDonald Common Bottom Hartshead ) and had worked for 4 years at Dymond Pit (Liversedge) he was a regular at Sunday School and church.

Missing pres dead after 3rd Sept 1916 attack on Popes Nose area of Thiepval.

Obituary is in the Spenborough Guardian and there is a photo.(27/4/17)

I can get you copies of this and photos of the memorial from the church.

If you have any other info that i can use for my notes id be much obliged

PM me an email address if possible.

Ady

• 1 month later...

I think i may be able to help you if its the same Josiah

Im researching the Hartshead village(St Peters Church) war memorial.

Theres 24 names from the Great War

Josiah indeed resided with Mr and Mrs Green of Roberttown(stone throw away from Hartshead)

He Was married with 2 children(Mrs Frances E McDonald Common Bottom Hartshead ) and had worked for 4 years at Dymond Pit (Liversedge) he was a regular at Sunday School and church.

Missing pres dead after 3rd Sept 1916 attack on Popes Nose area of Thiepval.

Obituary is in the Spenborough Guardian and there is a photo.(27/4/17)

I can get you copies of this and photos of the memorial from the church.

If you have any other info that i can use for my notes id be much obliged

PM me an email address if possible.

Ady

Hi Ady

Many apologies for my delay in replying - I would very much appreciate a copy of a photo and an obituary - this would certainly add substance to this unfolding story.

I wish you well with the Hartshead War Memorial research - I am currently engaged in research into the Tickhill War Memorial which has a number of very interesting and some very sad stories.

Thanks again for your help - my email address is judecowie@mac.com

Regards

John

Hello John

4212 Josiah MacDonald was killed in action on 3.9.1916 serving with 1/5 West Riding Regiment. He enlisted in Huddersfield and was living in Liversedge, Yorkshire. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ron

Thanks Ron - I am behind in my replies - many apologies - starting to piece together this fascinating story

Much appreciated

John

Here is the War Memorial St Peters Hartshead...There are a couple of workhouse lads on there...Ended up working down the local pit!

Ady

post-9371-026789300 1279138139.jpg

Here is the War Memorial St Peters Hartshead...There are a couple of workhouse lads on there...Ended up working down the local pit!

Ady

This is wonderful - very much appreciated - really is nice to see that he has not been forgotten

Regards

John

John

Ill get his obituary etc and let you have them early next week....do you have any photos of him?

Ady

There is some information regarding the September 3rd 1916, attack on the Pope's Nose

HERE:

Naturally it concentrates on the Holmfirth men in B Company, but it includes whatever general information about the 1st 5th Battalion I was able to find at the time, and some on the neighbouring battalions in the attack.

Tony.

Heres Josiah McDonalds Obituary

Spen Guardian 27th April 1917 MIA 3rd Sept 1916.

RIP

Adypost-9371-035481100 1280245068.jpg

Thank you so much for posting the obituary of Josiah - beginning to piece together this guys life and death.

Thanks again

Regards

John

Heres Josiah McDonalds Obituary

Spen Guardian 27th April 1917 MIA 3rd Sept 1916.

RIP

Adypost-9371-035481100 1280245068.jpg

• 1 year later...