Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers from Leeds called Goulden?

Derek Robertson

I'm trying to establish a link between the following 2 boys who are possibly featured on the attached photographs.

Pte Walter Goulden and Private William Goulden

Pte Walter Goulden, 9th Bn. West Riding Regiment kia 27/02/16 at Ypres.

According to SDGW he was born and enlisted in Leeds but lived in Birmingham.

Pte William Goulden, 1st Bn.Cameron Highlanders kia 15/11/1917.

According to SDGW he enlisted in Leeds and lived at Holbeck, Leeds.

Does anyone know of these boys?

post-1-1085855969.jpg

Derek.

Looks like they were brothers.

Here's the entry from the Leeds volume of the National Roll...

Dave.

post-1-1085859406.jpg

Derek............1901 census also confirms Walter & William were brothers

In 1901 they lived at 59 Langholm Street, Wortley, Leeds.

Their mother is listed as the Head of the Household

Elizabeth Goulden aged 42, born Goole & a Tailorer working from home.

Elizabeth's children were...............

Thomas aged 19 born Bradford & a Railway Goods Porter

Sarah aged 17 born Farnley & a Tailorer

Florrie aged 16 born Leeds also a Tailor like her mother & elder sister.

Walter aged 7 born in Leeds

Christopher aged 5 born in Leeds

Willie aged 3 also born in Leeds

Dave, Will and Christine: Thank you very much indeed for your help. :D

Interesting how Walter Goulden's MIC doesn't feature the award of a 1914-15 Star though the Leeds volume of the National Roll mentioned that he did.

I'm now wondering if the 4 soldiers in the postcards are the 4 Goulden brothers. Fascinating stuff.

I'm now wondering if the 4 soldiers in the postcards are the 4 Goulden brothers. Fascinating stuff.

One other brother would have been Pte.C.Goulden of the 17/West Yorks who lived at the same address as Walter and William. The other would have been Cpl.J.Goulden of the 1/8 West Yorks (different address, but still in Holbeck).

They both survived.

Dave.

One other brother would have been Pte.C.Goulden of the 17/West Yorks who lived at the same address as Walter and William. The other would have been Cpl.J.Goulden of the 1/8 West Yorks (different address, but still in Holbeck).

They both survived.

Dave.

Dave

Pte C. Goulden would be Christopher but the eldest brother was Thomas so unsure how he can be Cpl J Goulden

Given the Regiments that have been provided for the Goulden brothers- can anyone link them to the 2 postcards that I posted?

The postcard of the 3 soldiers shows the one at the back with RE on his left shoulder whilst the 2 boys in the front row have no distinguishing badges that I can see.

It can be argued that the 3 boys look similar, possibly brothers.

Dave

Pte C. Goulden would be Christopher but the eldest brother was Thomas so unsure how he can be Cpl J Goulden

Will.

If you're just going off the 1901 census, there could be persons missing.

For example one soldier I've been researching, the 1901 census omits 2 brothers who fought in WW1 and 3 sisters. Another example is my own family. Not a single member of it appears in the 1901 census even though they were living in the same place from the 1890's to the 1930's.

This is one of the cases where I believe the National Roll to be the more accurate as it was information supplied by the NOK who were unlikely to get name details wrong (even if service history is suspect!).

Dave.

Dave

Will.

If you're just going off the 1901 census, there could be persons missing.

For example one soldier I've been researching, the 1901 census omits 2 brothers who fought in WW1 and 3 sisters. Another example is my own family. Not a single member of it appears in the 1901 census even though they were living in the same place from the 1890's to the 1930's.

This is one of the cases where I believe the National Roll to be the more accurate as it was information supplied by the NOK who were unlikely to get name details wrong (even if service history is suspect!).

Dave.

Dave..................What you say makes sense particulally if there is a brother older than Thomas who had already left home in 1901............ Is there any evidence other than connecting location of Holbeck that links Clp J. Goulden to Walter, William & Christopher.............................I also wonder whether Thomas served because if he did I would have expected an entry for him within the National Roll, given that Walter, William & Christopher are all there.