Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'A' Prefix on Silver War Badge

kingbilvo

Is there anyone out there who can help?

I have had a family SWB (A/11196) in my possession for many years and have only recently tried to look into the recipients history. The problem is that I have never found out what the 'A' prefix means. (According to other posts 'B' stands for British).

There are two possible great uncles - one in the RFA and one who joined the Australian army in 1915 after emigrating there from Leicester

Is it possible that the 'A' signifies Australian?

Any comments gratefully received,

Tracey

Hi Tracey welcome to the forum ....as said yes the A is Australian .I dont think there is any way to get who it was issued to as they were handed out in random from what i have read ,so its lucky you only have a choice of 2 persons that could have won it and obviously its the Australian one do you have any his Medals as well or any other paperwork at all or just the badge?

MC

Many thanks to Steve and MC for their replies.

The SWM must belong to my great uncle Private WIlliam Ernest Haines 3122 - 24th Battalion, 7th Reinforcement (Australian Army). I have a potted history taken from the AIF project. (I'm afraid the details are a little above my head)

Unfortunately it was the other great uncle that I was trying to research so that I could produce a small family history project for the children to keep.

Nevertheless this SWB remains a treasured family item which will eventually yield up its story I'm sure!

Hi Tracey

About 90 % of the Aussie Silver War Badge rolls are available at the AWM but are not digitised as yet, so if you can visit yourself you can arrange for them to be available for research. If not you will have to get a researcher to do it for you.

I know a couple of people who collect SWB only & research them at the AWM.

Give us the name of the RFA uncle & someone may be able to help

Good luck

Peter

Hi there, Peter

Details are as follows:

Sergeant George King DCM 55037

126th Battery, 29th Brigade RFA

Died 6th Nov 1918 - Woolwich - influenza and complications

I am wondering whether to open a new post for info as I have questions on medical records/ DCM/ 2nd Lt E. Beddington-Behrens and his MC/ photos etc etc.

Being new I don't want to flood the forum with a zillion and one unecessary posts!

P.S. Used Australian Archives this a.m. and have oodles of info to help me with Aussie SWB. Thanks to all concerned.

Regards, Tracey

The SWM must belong to my great uncle Private WIlliam Ernest Haines 3122 - 24th Battalion, 7th Reinforcement (Australian Army). I have a potted history taken from the AIF project. (I'm afraid the details are a little above my head)

I'm assuming you've got his service papers from NAA? They'll probably confirm his SWB details, and so much more...........

For Private Haines, you may want to look at August 1916 War Diary or other reports, as several other 31xx Service Number men were killed during that month.

Obviously no guarantee that was when he was wounded, but it might tie in with other clues you may gather in your search.

Apologies for skewing this slightly "off thread" but are these CWGC details for this Haines correct?

Name: HAINES, ARTHUR GEOFFREY

Initials: A G

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Unit Text: 60th Bn.

Date of Death: 26/04/1919

Service No: 3397

Additional information: Son of Charles Arthur and Ida May Haines, of Warragul, Victoria.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: VILLERS-BRETONNEUX MEMORIAL

In 1919 would they have lost his body? Is the date of death incorrectly transcribed and should be 1917 etc?

For George King, you probably have his CWGC details, but in case not, he was buried in Leicester

Name: KING, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Date of Death: 06/11/1918

Service No: 55037

Awards: D C M

Grave/Memorial Reference: O1. "U." 475.

Cemetery: LEICESTER (WELFORD ROAD) CEMETERY

There are at least 10 King deaths with links to Leicester, do you know id others in the family also died?

Is this chap of interest?

Name: BEHRENS, WALTER LOUIS

Initials: W L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "C" Bty. 122nd Bde.

Date of Death: 10/07/1917

Additional information: Son of Walter Louis and Evelyn Behrens, (nee Beddington).

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. M. 1.

Cemetery: BARD COTTAGE CEMETERY

Dear KevinW4

Many thanks for additional info;

a)Arthur Geoffrey Haines - unfortunatley no relation. Have since been on Australian Archives and can now put Aussie SWB to bed.

B) George King DCM - many thanks,

c)Walter Louis Behrens is the twin brother of Edward, I believe. Edward went on to become a famous economist, but I have reason to believe that he was awarded the MC for rescuing my badly wounded G/Uncle George King from the battlefield.

As previously mentioned I may open new threads for George King and Edward Beddington-Behrens.

Much appreciated

Tracey

c)Walter Louis Behrens is the twin brother of Edward, I believe. Edward went on to become a famous economist, but I have reason to believe that he was awarded the MC for rescuing my badly wounded G/Uncle George King from the battlefield.

click here for hias MC citation. Was George King the wounded sergeant? EBB also got a bar to his MC in 1918.

click here for hias MC citation. Was George King the wounded sergeant? EBB also got a bar to his MC in 1918.

From War Diary dated 26th June 1917 - 2nd Lt EBB awarded MC for bringing wounded Sgt King back into cover... 4th June 1917.

I think I will need some kind of medical record to corroborate the story completely.

I think I will need some kind of medical record to corroborate the story completely.

Then you're probably going to need his service papers or a newspaper cutting. As for the service papers, good luck looking through the 'George King' section.....

What makes you think that EBB won his MC rescuing uncle George? Is there some family story surrounding this incident?