Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/5th Bn., Leicestershire Regiment

vianalky

:poppy:

Looking through old papers and talking to aged mother yesterday. I'm trying to trace the happening of the 1st/5th Bn Leicestershire Reg (the Tigers) on before the 25th September 1915.

Could anyone assist either with info or direct me to where i could gain this info.

My Great uncle George Edward Street from Mountsorrel was a member of the Regiment and is remembered on the Menin Gate & the Village War Memorial.

Looking through old papers and talking to aged mother yesterday. I'm trying to trace the happening of the 1st/5th Bn Leicestershire Reg (the Tigers) on before the 25th September 1915.

They were involved in the 'Loos Diversionary' fighting at Hooge in the Ypres Salient on that day. Their battalion history by J.D.Hills is available on PDF in (free) download online (somewhere .... I've got it, but can't remember from which particular website I obtained it!). Try Googling 'The Fifth Leicestershire 1914-18' to find it). It's reasonably detailed for this date.

Dave

Here it is .... 5th Leics

The War Diary isn't (as far as I know) online yet but the National Archives ref is WO 95/2690

• 2 weeks later...
The War Diary isn't (as far as I know) online yet but the National Archives ref is WO 95/2690

Many, many thanks i do now have a "hard" copy of the book "The Fifth Leicestershire" by J.D. Hill.

Has anyone a map of the "Salient" & Hooge battle for the 25th September 1915 when damp straw was lite etc.?

Many thanks now going through the book seeing what happened prior to the death of Great Uncle.

Regards,

S&F

Alan

Good Morning Alan,

I've got the Battalion diary at home, some of it transcribed, if you can bear with me until later today I'll get some further information for you.

You probably have this information, but just incase,

Enlisted 31.08.1914. Mountsorrel. Date of entry 28.02.1915. 2207 1/5TH PRIVATE GEORGE STREET KIA 25.09.1915. F&F YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Regards. Llew.

Good Morning Alan,

I've got the Battalion diary at home, some of it transcribed, if you can bear with me until later today I'll get some further information for you.

You probably have this information, but just incase,

Enlisted 31.08.1914. Mountsorrel. Date of entry 28.02.1915. 2207 1/5TH PRIVATE GEORGE STREET KIA 25.09.1915. F&F YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Regards. Llew.

Many, thanks for info, i had some but not all info (as families will be families!) but working hard to fill in the holes.

Many, thanks again.

Alan

He was one of 7 casualties the Battalion suffered that day

001 BIRKIN JFB 1115 1ST/5TH BN 25/09/1915 LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

002 BOULGER G 1000 1ST/5TH BN 25/09/1915 LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

003 BURNHAM JE 1971 1ST/5TH BN 25/09/1915 LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

004 NELSON H 1939 1ST/5TH BN 25/09/1915 LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

005 REFFIN A 2213 1ST/5TH BN 25/09/1915 LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

006 STREET GE 2207 1ST/5TH BN 25/09/1915 LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

007 TAYLOR A 1916 1ST/5TH BN 25/09/1915 LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

2 are buried in Ypres Reservoir cemetery. It may be an indication that they were very close to, if not in, Ypres when killed.

Hello Alan,

1st/5th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment War Diary.

14-20/9/15

Battn proceeded to Divisional Reserve in hutments about 1 mile west of DICKEBUSCH. Battn rested. Provided work parties on two days in neighbourhood of BEDFORD HOUSE.

20/9/15

Battn proceeded to trenches and relieved the 4th Battn LINCOLNSHIRE REGT at 10.00pm. Distribution 49. A Coy. 50. 50.S. C Coy. A1. 50.S. R1. B Coy. A2. A3. D. Coy.

21/9/15

TRENCHES. Between 7.00 and 10.00pm a fire observed about 50 yards in front of 50. left.

22/9/15

TRENCHES. Am. Artillery bombardment of HILL 60.

23/9/15

TRENCHES. At 9.00am enemy universal shell into A1. Between 12.20 and 12.50pm our bombardment of HOOGE and in front of 49. and 50.

25/9/15

TRENCHES. At 3.50am bombardment of HOOGE. Enemy replied and also shelled A1. and 50. At 5.56am Straw which had been put out by night was lighted in front of 50. Smoke bombs were thrown from 49. and A1. This promptly drew fire. 50. and A1. were heavily shelled and 49. trench mortared. Artillery telephone communication lost but 3rd LINCOLNSHIRE Battery and 2nd DERBYSHIRE Howitzer fired over 50. and 49. and later 4th STAFFORDSHIRE Battery. About 7.l5am bombardment ended and the rest of the day was fairly quiet.

If you would like the images of the original diary for September 1915, could you please pm your e mail address and I'll gladly send them over.

Do you have his service records?

Regards. Llew.

Alan,

I've got your e mail address, so if you want to delete the details from this post, please do.

Llew.

Alan,

I've got your e mail address, so if you want to delete the details from this post, please do.

Llew.

Wonderful, a true credit to the group, i have deleted the link containing my e-mail ( i could and may be should have given the google address?)

The knowledge gained from those pages is gratefully acknowledged and will be used for further generations of the family.

Many. many thanks again to all.

BTW, i still didn't find why the message had been uploaded 4 time, this one plus 3?

Regards,

S&F

Alan

• 9 years later...

James Lanham Whitworth 1/5 Leicestershire Regiment

Surname: 

Whitworth  James Langham

Incident Date: 

10/09/1915 

Information: 

Listed as "Wounded" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office from the 10th September 1915. 

This man was entitled to wear a "Wound Stripe" as authorised under Army Order 204 of 6th July 1916. The terms of this award being met by their naming in this list. 

Service LocationNumber: 

Private 

Duty : 

Service: 

France and Flanders 

First Name:James Langham 

Surname:Whitworth 

Resided Town:Shepshed, Loughborough 

Service Number:240186 

James was first listed, classified as wounded, in the War Office casualty list of 19 June 1915 which was printed in the "Times" on 6 July 1915. He is one of just two men of the battalion who are listed that day. I would need to do a bit more digging to be quite sure but a first look suggests that he may be one of a number of men wounded while the battalion held front line trenches east of Kemmel (south of Ypres) on 8 June.

But he then appears again, classified as wounded, in the War Office casualty list of 10 September 1915 which was printed in the "Times" on 27 September 1915. This appears to relate to the period 3-10 August 1915 when the battalion sustained the loss of 2 killed and 25 wounded during a period holding trenches east of Maple Copse, Zillebeke, SE of Ypres. I am trying to pinpoint where he may have been on these two occasions when he was wounded. In 1918 he was awarded the Croix de Guerre with Silver star at Fresnoy le Grand.

I would be really grateful for any help you may be able to give me

Pauline (Whitworth) Haycock (James Langham Whitworth eas my uncle