The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bisley Shooting Comp

Guest meltam

Can anyone shed any light on the phrase "Bisley 1923" with reference to military shooting competitions??

My Great Grandfather used this term of reference which we all assumed was some sort of military competition, we also believe but have yet been unable able to confirm that he actually won or helped to win this competition. He was with the 1st Manchesters at the time.

I see that there is a Queens Medal for champion shots in the Military, would it have been feasible that he was awarded this medal if it turns out he did win this comp????

Any help much appreciated

Bisley Camp, Brookwood, Surrey is the home of the National Rifle Association.

The NRA had a great input into the Victorian Rifles Volunteer Movement.

There was and still is a range of annual Rifle Competitions the pinnacle of which being the Queen's or King's Prize (dependant on the gender of the monarch).

The Prize is open only to British subjects who are present or past members of HM Forces or the forces of any British Protected state. The competition is in 3 stages.

In the 1920s these were.

First Stage - NRA Bronze Medal & Badge - 7 shots at each 200, 500 and 600 yards,

Second Stage - NRA Silver Medal & Badge - open only to the top 300 in Stage 1. Shot over the same ditsances.

Third Stage - The King's Prize, NRA Gold Medal & Badge - shot as follows:

10 Shots at 300, 500 and 600 yards + 15 Shots at 900 and 1000 yards.

Open to the top 100 in Stage 2.

In 1923 the winner of the prize was Capt. Robinson (late RAF) with a score of 232.

The King's Medal for the best shot was an entirely different competition with tyhe Army Navy and RAF having separate best shot medals.

There are also Inter-Service Competitons, Public School comps. and Internationals.

CSM H.V.Northcote of the Manchesters was a regular competitor for the King's Prize but never won it. Third being his best in 1931.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help on that one.

It does begin to narrow things down a bit.

Is there any chance you might be able to point me in the direction of where to start looking for infomation on the Army competition for the kings medal for best shot?

Im pretty sure my great grandfather a (George Irvine Higginbotham) was involved in some sort of competition for the army which resulted in an award for him.

Thanks again

Tammy