Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWM photo archive

armourersergeant

I realise this is perhaps not the correct place to place this but i just wanted to alert any that may not be aware of the depth and breadth of the photo documents held at the IWM.

I visited the IWM on thursday last and finally got to see a picture of Major-General Forestier-Walker and also spent most of the day looking at many of the vast collection held there.

The collection whilst in a bit of a mess and in book form in no real order is atleast vastly catalogued, if not always accurately. My main aim was to search Generals of the war but whilst doing so i came across pictures and diagrams of trench panoram views, vast collections of female personell etc, weapons, the usual wrecked raodsides and vehicles, plenty of Generals covered and plenty not and many hiding in pictures not named in the indexing, homefront collections and so on. Salonika certainly had its showing aswell.

I would defy anyone to not find something that would help there research.

The staff were helpful and friendly. Photo copying for reference can be done and at no cost though a donation to the box on the way out is certainly (imo) necessery to keep this facility going.

Fascinating and exciting day was had (when you get old, ww1 pics can really turn you on) and I met Allan Wakefield, a fellow member of this forum and employee of the IWM,just as i spotted the pic of FW. Showing that Pals have an in breed ability to turn up right on cue.

If anyone is doing some reserach and needs pics to help them then i would get yourself of down there and have a look.

regards

Arm.

• 2 months later...

Was at The IWM Photo Archive last week 23/24 August 04.

They now have a full scale of charges for most things, so the archive should start to pay.

Found the index system easy and reasonably accurate providing one knows what one requires before visiting, planning required.

Typically a copy of a photo 10x8 inches is £8.40

Arm

Do you have to book in advance please if you want to gain access to research material at the IWM.

Peter

To book an appointmwnt with the Photograph Archive call 020 7416 5333 at least one week in advance. Its in Austral Street round the corner from the IWM.No bags etc inside for obvious reasons.

Sorry i did not answer soone ras i have been off air for a day or so. I usually book as well in advance as i can but you do not need to specify what you want to view. Most of ther ww1 items are there in the room to view but there are some other albums kept in the dark dungeons of the IWM.

I shall be going again in a few weeks but this time i shall be going to see some docs.

regards

Arm.

• 12 years later...

During a visit to the IWM in August, I walked over to the Photograph Visitors Room in Austral Street to arrange for a copy of a WW1 photograph I've been meaning to get for some time.

To my horror, the room was in the process of being emptied out.....all the files of photographs gone and not accessible to the public any more. Some files evidently destined for Duxford.

I was told that anything you want now will have to be sourced and ordered via their Website. Funding of staff and keeping the place going appears to have become a financial problem.

My visits to the Visitors Room over the years always yielded fantastic results when searching the files and Index cards. The photo captions, when given were not always dead accurate with  the photographs giving some valuable information upon examination. 

Not all photographs have been scanned for viewing online, neither do the captions always match items searched.

Now to my question.  Would any of the members here perhaps know who I should be contacting to inquire about the future and information on the photo files, specifically where the files could be accessed in future.

Looking forward to your assistance.

Kallag