Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Chris_B

MIC

Chris_B

My Grandfather Albert Bruge's MIC has the same mark (an X with four dots) in three places - see image below. Any idea if this means anything?

Chris.

post-31-1085781052.jpg

SteveE

It indicates what unit, rank etc. is shown on the actual medals.

In this instance it looks like 35255 Dvr. A(lbert) Burge A.S.C.

Steve

stiletto_33853

Chris,

Where more than one rank or unit appear on the card the Record Office will often mark the correct unit to be applied to the medal with an X with dots in the quadrants.

Hope this helps, there is a good article in The Collectors and Researchers Guide to The Great War by Howard Williamson. It certainly helped me understand them a little more.

Andy

Chris_B

Steve and Andy,

Thank you for your explanations of the cross with four dots. I was puzzled as the marks do not appear to be against a particular unit, nor could I decipher what had been written on the title of the "rank" column.

My Grandfather's British War Medal is stamped "Pte. A Burge 35255". It shows no unit, has his ASC number but his rank in the SLR. All a bit confusing.

Chris.

stiletto_33853

Chris,

Cant really make out the scan in any detail but the letter J in the roll part indicates Shrewsbury Record Office which was the Office for the South Lancs Regiment.

Andy

Chris_B

Andy,

As far as I can make out the Victroy/British Medal roll ref is J/1/103(5?)B/3 page 546

If the "J" does indeed refer to a SLR entry I'm hoping this will lead me to which Battalion my Grandfather served in. Many thanks for pointing out that connection.

Chris.

Chris_Baker

It's not crystal clear on the scanned image, but doesn't the topmost "quadrant symbol" sit next to the text "Pte"? It looks like it to me. That of course is in line with the rank on the medal. It was quite possible to be a Private in the ASC, and you can presume that was your grandfather's rank when he began his medal qualification.

The roll entry will be J lining up with the regiment, because it the record office dealing with the roll was that of the last regiment/corps with which the man served.

The medal roll for the BWM and VM will state the battalion.

By the way the "Sec B" refers to his posting to Class B Army Reserve.

Chris_B

Chris,

Nice to get further clarification from the CinC. I should have posted the original PDF file which contained my Grandfather's MIC ( and five other Burge names) instead of my rather poor attempt at an extracted image.

Just in case anyone is interested in having another look, I've posted now.

Chris.

20665.pdf