Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Donald James Grubb

martynkeith

Hello, have just found out my great uncle, Donald James Grubb was killed in 1915 in the Dardanelles campaign. I have no other information apart from, I believe he was awarded some sort of bravery medal. Help anyone with any information.

GRUBB, DONALD JAMES

Initials: D J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/08/1915

Additional information: Only son of the Rev. James and Jessie Grubb, of Belfast. Educated at Wesley College, Dublin. A member of the O.T.C., Queen's University, Belfast.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 97 to 101.

He was a 2L/t in the 5th Inniskilling Fusiliers killed 15-8-1915 and commemorated on the Helles Memorial. His medal card states he was entitled to the 1914-15 Star Trio. His father Rev James Grubb applied for his medals in 1920. If you PM me your email address I will send you the card. As an officer no doubt a forum member more clued up than I will be along and let you know that his service papers are available in the National Archives and give you a reference number. Regards Ralph.

his service papers are available in the National Archives and give you a reference number. Regards Ralph.

WO 339/13248

I'm hoping someone can confirm this as I'm still trying to get to grips with the N.A catalogue search :unsure:

Stuart

• 3 years later...

The book "Officers of The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in World War 1" by Lt Col Jim Condon has an entry on page 117 about Donald. It quotes "The Sprig" - the regimental journal of September 1915 which has a letter from his CO saying "He met his death while bravely attending the wounded at great personal risk under a very heavy fire". This occurred when the 5th Battalion was attempting to take the ridge of Keretch Tepe Sert on 15 August 1915. The Battalion of about 1000 men was virtually annihilated with only 3 officers and 200 men (including many wounded) returning down the ridge.

The book can be obtained from the Regimental Museum in Enniskillen www.inniskillingsmuseum.com price £20.

Regards

Eric

Donald James Grubb--he spent time in Cookstown Co. Tyrone working in Gunnings Linen Factory--his name is on the factory memorial plague which hangs in Cookstown Royal British Legion.-the factory haveing closed in the late 1950's--his name is also on the local town war memorial-and I believe his name is also on Lisburn Co. Antrim war memorial.

• 1 year later...