Arthur James Sloan RFA

jimmy

A short note from Arthur's troubled Mother

Kings Park

Cathcart

Glasgow

9/20/1916

My Dear Margaret,

I got your nice letter either Thursday or Friday of last week, and I thought I would just like to write a short note, to thank you, and to tell you if ever one was thankful for a boy, having dear girl, I have been at this terrible time, perhaps it is a very strange thing for me to write, to you, one could say a thing like that easier, but it is true dear Margaret, all the same. Our hearts have been sore for poor Arthur, we have each other here, but he is away there, in the midst of it all, and as you say, they have been so much to each other, they have been such true friends all along, the one was incomplete without the other. We have no further news of poor dear Andrew, it is too terrible. I cannot think what to write, I am afraid our hopes of him being alive are very very slight, but there again, I think why can't they find something, I feel if we could only get some word, it would be a little easier, but the uncertainly is so awful. The chaplain gives us very little hope, in fact none, at times I can't think we will not see the dear one again, but Oh! just to know what happen to him and if he suffered, or is suffering. This is a perhaps a very rambling kind of letter, but I can't think properly just now, and I just wanted to thank you. I hope your little nephew is getting on nicely, he would cheer you all up a bit, Arthur wrote and told us his name, that he had been called after dear Guy, I always thought such a lot of the dear boy. I hope your Mother and Father are both well, also all the others. How very very few of the dear boys left now, poor Charlie Watt, just two weeks after Andrew. A.P.P.C. from Arthur last night, and I think wet, and are sleeping in the open, he was going to try and get under cover of some open shed. Excuse me for not writing more, Winnie sends her love to you too.

Kind regards to all

Your Affectionately

Marion G. Sloan

Charles Geiger Watt

Sgt.

Highland Light Inf.

9th (Glasgow Hdrs.) Bn.

Age 22

Died: 7-15-1916

# 3547

Buried: Thiepval Memorial

Oct. 15th 1916

My Dearest Margaret,

I have got two of your dear letters to answer this time. I am so sorry I missed last weeks post, but even if I had managed to write one, I had no chance of posting it, so I hope you will once again excuse your block. Your letters are dated 7th Sept. and 14th Sept. They seem to be taking longer to come than they used to. I used to get them in a little over a fortnight, but this last one has taken a month, all except three days. Are mine taking so long as all that. Even my letters from home take longer just now, a whole week & they used to come in two or three days.

Thanks very much for the little photos, they are very good indeed and you with your hair down. It reminds me when I knew you first & you could hardly speak to me. I wonder if you remember that occasion dearie. I was up for Guy one Sunday afternoon, to see about some solo he was going to sing that night, you answered the door & showed me into the parlor, but hardly spoke a word. Then your letter dear letter of the 14th Sept. I am so pleased you had my long letter alright & that it cheered you up so well. If it gave you half the pleasure that yours give me, I am quite satisfied. Darling , what would I do if I had not your dear dear letters, week by week. It's the real joy of my life here getting your letters & mothers too. Poor mother she is very very down hearted and I do feel so sorry for her, if I could only get a furlough just now, I think it would do more good then all the letters I can write. I am afraid she is beginning to give up hope about Andrew, I think myself if we were to get any definite word about him, we would have had it by this time.

So you didn't manage to send the photos after all, but with a bit luck, I may get them next letter & it may be here any day now. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to get it tonight, seeing your last one took a bit longer to come, but I am not waiting to see, but getting this one done while I can. I am writing it in a big tent erected by the Scottish Churches, it's the first time we have had such a thing in the firing line & you have no idea Margaret how much it is appreciated,it is just newly up & I hope we don't get the order of the move for a little so that we may benefit by it for a little.

I had a letter from mother last night & who do you think was in our seat on Sunday, nobody else but Guy Young, he has come home & given up his job in Burma to join. He is going to try and get a commission in the Navy, & he should make a top pole officer there, he's so big & strong. It must have been a bit sad for him too. It wasn't till after the service that he knew about all the boys of the old crowd who had fallen.

You ask how they are all at home, well I have already mentioned about Mother; one can hardly expect her to be otherwise. I feel more sorry for her than anyone else at home. She was always of a nervous disposition. Father is getting along alright, I had a letter from him awhile ago, but I can see he is a bit worried too, and he can't get labor at all, although he says it is surprising how well things are going too. Winnie is getting along fine too, she has given up school & is now home helping along with mother. It makes a big difference to mother too.

Now dearie I must stop, it's two days since I started this letter & I don't want to miss another post. I hope you are keeping well darling and as cheery as ever. Please remember me to all. I am still getting along OK & feeling quite well, just a bit fed up, but that's old news. Well goodbye just now dearest

With all my love

Your own loving

Arthur

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you very much foposting all this wonderful information about these soldiers and their relatives who were from Mount Florida. I don't know how you happened on the article I wrote for the Mount Florida Church magazine in 2002 and 2003 about our memorial and the names upon it. I would like you to get in touch with me as soon as you can. I would like to publish some of what you have posted.

Cheers,

Roger Gann, King's Park, Glasgow; elder & treasurer at Mount Florida Parich Church.

I am humbled Mr. Gann, and pleased that you have found all of this. I had emailed the webmaster of the Church's site a couple weeks back, not sure if it had been forwarded to you, never the less, we will be talking. Without question, I'll assist you in any possible way. I'll send you a email.

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

Have tried several times to email you directly through the address you gave but each time I get ti returned. Can you please check you have sent me your correct email address.

Thanks Roger Gann

Hi Jimmy,

Have sent email again this morning with your other address-hope this works this time

Cheers,

Roger