Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sinking of the MFA ERMINE August 1917

clive_hughes

[pasted above]

Edited by seaJane

Four of the crew whose bodies were recovered are buried in the Mikra British Cemetery, Kalamaria. These are Asst. Cook John Thurlow, Fireman D. Moore, 2nd Steward Frederick McNab and Carpenter John Gowan.

Michael

11 hours ago, seaJane said:

Not as much help as I'd hoped, unfortunately, as I cannot find him with that year of birth! I'll investigate a few other routes and see what I can discover.

Edit: Though, to answer your main question, I'm fairly sure the medals would been sent to his widow. I was hoping to find written evidence from his service record or the Mercantile Marine Medal Roll.

SJ

I think you will find him in the MMR medal rolls under "McLaughlin  Wm" he received the Star, Victory and War medals which were issued to his Widow, I don't know what IC 7731/1917 in the final column means but somebody will.  As CWGC record no other death of a  McLaughlin in the MMR I think this is your man.

Tony

12 minutes ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

I think you will find him in the MMR medal rolls under "McLaughlin  Wm"

The one variant spelling I didn't try! Thanks Tony! (still can't find him on Discovery, however!) For you, @angela anderson

I think his birth date may be incorrect somewhere as he appears in the 1915 Crew Lists on another of G&J Burns' ships the SETTER with a birthdate of 1881 (1915 - 34 years) and that is also what appears on his Medal Card here B351/1/94431

Tony

IC 7731/1917 - the prefix refers to 'Index Casualty' and the number and year is the specific naval reference. i.e. The receipient was deceased. ADM 242.

Michael

14 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

IC 7731/1917 - the prefix refers to 'Index Casualty' and the number and year is the specific naval reference. i.e. The receipient was deceased. ADM 242.

Michael

Thank you Michael, now I know!

T