Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK Military Hospital/Rehab?

MartinThwaite

Hello Pals,

I've just had a photo enlarged of my great uncle in Hospital Blues which was taken in a studio in Southport. Photo taken sometime after late 1916, most probably 1917. Does anyone have any info on what Medical units were in Southport?

Regards,

Martin

A number of hospitals in Southport including

The Grange (VAD)

Greaves Hall Hospital

The Woodlands (I think this may have been a convelecent hospital possibly for recovering patients from the Grange)

The following is a Pathe film clip of the official opening of the Grange http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=79126

I think Greaves Hall later passed into the hands of the Local Authority Adult Social Services Department and was used as a residential home for people with severe learning difficulties and geriatric patients. Not sure what it's used for now if still standing though an obvious use would be as a residential care home or nursing home.

Peridot

Martin,

I have an "Autograph" book compiled by a nurse in a Southport hospital during WW1. It contains poems and drawings by various patients, all who have added their number, name and regiment.

If you let me have your great uncle's name I'll have look for you.

Mark

Martin,

I have an "Autograph" book compiled by a nurse in a Southport hospital during WW1. It contains poems and drawings by various patients, all who have added their number, name and regiment.

Mark

Hello Mark,

That would be excellent, thanks very much - his name was John Thwaite, as to his Regt I cannot be certain but it would be Lincolns, Manchesters or RE!!!

Much obliged,

Martin

:thumbsup:

Martin,

Mark

Mark

Is there the remote possibility that your autograph book may have any reference to an ETHEL CONSTANCE RUSSELL, a Ward Maid at the hospital prior to 20th August 1918. She subsequently died as a result of the flu epidemic whilst serving at The Coultis Hospital, London.

Grateful for details if the is a reference.

Tony

Liverpool Record Office Catalogue has this:

Ref No M614 PRO Title Promenade Hospital, Southport Date 1854-1950 Description Minutes, annual reports and financial records. Clinical records have not survived in great numbers

Promenade Hospital, Southport, was originally named Southport Convalescent Hospital and Sea Bathing Infirmary, an institution that that provided sea air and bathing in order to aid the recovery of the sick.........During the First World War, two hundred beds were allocated for the use of convalescent soldiers.

Caryl

Liverpool Record Office Catalogue has this:

Ref No M614 PRO Title Promenade Hospital, Southport Date 1854-1950 Description Minutes, annual reports and financial records. Clinical records have not survived in great numbers

Promenade Hospital, Southport, was originally named Southport Convalescent Hospital and Sea Bathing Infirmary, an institution that that provided sea air and bathing in order to aid the recovery of the sick.........During the First World War, two hundred beds were allocated for the use of convalescent soldiers.

Caryl

Hi Caryl,

Many thanks for the above - the prom at Southport would be a good spot for the boys.

Cheers,

Martin

the prom at Southport would be a good spot for the boys.

Yes, it would have been. I'm having deja vu here because I'm sure this hospital has been mentioned before on here, maybe Im wrong, I'll do a search

I used to have a large old postcard of the hospital that I was going to post but can't find it but if you use the Google image search some good photos of the hospital come up. Lovely old building and I understand it's been converted into apartments

Caryl

• 13 years later...

hi i know this research is quite old but few years back i bought a certificate and photo of 7 nurses and a parrot and one of the nurses was  named has alice russell the dealer said he found them on a skip alice a family member of ethel ?