The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Once again a VERY, VERY Expensive Victory Medal

ForeignGong

Hi

Interesting story but no way worth that much!! expecially for 1 medal

regards

Robert

Ah yes, another one to gasp at. I might go down to the local bookies and see what the odds are of that not selling.

Cheers Andy.

Its not expensive if someone wants it. I don't see what the problem is. I wouldn't pay the price being asked for that medal but then I don't want it.

Mick

Postage is a bit steep I must admit.

And not even 'Recorded Rign For', but then again that only covers up to £41.00 or thereabouts !!!

I'm not quite sure to make of that.

An auction with this seller ended 15th May with a high bid of £101.51

It was then re-listed to end on 20th May with a starting price of £500.00, but attracted no bids.

And now it is listed once more and he wants at least £6999.99 for it?

As for postage, you'd need to sort something out with courier service, I think. Royal Mail Special Delivery covers up to £500.00 only.

Of course, if he was West Yorkshire Regiment, I'd be in there like a rat up a drainpipe.

Cheers,

Nigel

I doubt it was was to Lord Kitchener it would go for that much,ridiculous

MC

I know it depends on the person the medal was issued to, but whats the average price for this medal in the UK ?

Peter

Guest KevinEndon
I know it depends on the person the medal was issued to, but whats the average price for this medal in the UK ?

Peter

kia between £25 to £40 if the date is not recognised as a prised date, although all dates should mean the same price is reached, alas they are not as 1st july 16 will reach way over £100

Kevin

If you want it for family reasons its priceless as such to complete a family group but still !!

MC

Even if family...at £7000 he can keep. Likewise I cant work the game out. £100 was a good price!

TT

At the end of the day, doesn't eBay charge a fee based;

1.) On the Reserve/First bid price, or

2.) On price realised?

This game of his must be costing him money, so why bother?

There is a dead mans memory being played with here. It's not pushing my happy buttons.

Nigel

Maybe he made a mistake on the listing and it should be £6.99 with a buy it now of £7.99, altho if it were I would guess there are some here who would say it was a memory being sold for to low a price - or would they?

In the context of three auctions almost back to back, I think there is something going on here akin to a game of sorts. Given that the first of these auctions brought just over £100, he is unlikely to have wanted to relist it with buy it now price under a tenner.

If it had been a stand alone auction instead of being one in a chain I think the possibility of a mistake could have been right but in this case I think not.

Tell you what though, it's lovely outside, and I wouldn't have bid for the medal at normal prices, so I'll leave this here.

Cheers,

Nigel

I think i'd rather buy 700 Victory medals at £10 each than 7k for that one. What can 7k buy you in the world of medals?

I remember a 'VC' winners death plaque selling for 2k. Although i can't vouch for its authenticity.

Neil

I think i'd rather buy 700 Victory medals at £10 each than 7k for that one. What can 7k buy you in the world of medals?

I remember a 'VC' winners death plaque selling for 2k. Although i can't vouch for its authenticity.

Neil

For 7000 ..A DSO,MC and BAR 14 star trio and clasp Mid to an infantry Officer regular with nice citations and a 35 jubilee and 37 coronation medal in same group with no change .

MC

Cheers mate. I'll settle for the victory medal. :)

Neil

Its like everything horses for courses i would settle on the DSO,MC and BAR group i described above ,my wife has no idea ..thank god :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MC