Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert C Barton

michaeldr

Robert C. Barton was an Irish lawyer, statesman and farmer who participated in the negotiations leading up to the signature of the Anglo-Irish Treaty. He was a cousin of Robert Erskine Childers and related to the Barton family of the Waterfoot. He became an officer in the Dublin Fusiliers on the outbreak of the First World War. He was stationed in Dublin during the Easter Rising of 1916 and resigned his commission in protest at the heavy-handed British suppression of the revolt.

He then joined the Republican movement. In 1918 he was elected to Parliament as the Sinn Féin member for West Wicklow.

Arrested in February 1919 for sedition, he escaped from Mountjoy Prison on St. Patrick’s Day (leaving a note explaining that, owing to the discomfort of his cell, the occupant felt compelled to leave, and requesting the governor to keep his luggage until he sent for it).

He was recaptured in January 1920 and sentenced to three years' imprisonment, but was released under the general amnesty of July 1921.

[quoted from http://www.pettigo.com/UpLoads/Documents/P...tory%20Book.pdf

and from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Barton]

Question i] Can anyone say where Robert Barton served with the RDF prior to Easter 1916?

Question ii] From an exchange in the House of Commons at Westminster in February 1920, it seems that there were four Irish MPs in prison at that time. Does anyone know who the other three were and whether or not they also served in the Great War?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Re Robert Barton

I suspect that he never went out of Ireland.

1. No MIC

2. The Battalions of the RDF in Dublin on Easter Monday were 4, 5 and 10. 4 and 5 never left Ireland during the war and 10 went to France in Aug 1916.

3. I have a lot on 10th RDf, my grandfather was in it, but do not have anything on Barton

4. For what it is worth , the Peerage glosses over his war service

Robert Childers Barton: b. 14 March 1881. He was the son of Charles William Barton and Agnes Alexandra Frances Childers.1 He married Rachel Lothrop Warren, daughter of Fiske Warren, on 21 July 1950. Educated at Rugby College, Rugby, Warwickshire, England. He graduated from Christ Church, Oxford University, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, with a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and a Diploma in Economics. He graduated from Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, England, in 1901 with a Diploma. He fought in the First World War. He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) for West Wicklow between 1918 and 1922. He held the office of Minister of Agriculture between 1919 and 1921. He held the office of Chairman of the Wicklow County Councillors in 1920. He was a member of Sinn Féin. He held the office of Irish Peace Delegate to the London Conference in 1921. He held the office of Secretary for Economic Affairs between 1921 and 1922. He held the office of Member of Dáil Éireann between 1921 and 1923, for Counties Kildare and Wicklow. He was Chairman of the Agricultural Credit Corporation between 1934 and 1959. He was Chairman of the Turf Development Board between 1935 and 1960.1 He lived at Glendalough House, Annamoe, County Wicklow, Ireland.

(I was interested to see that is the Barton family of the Bordeaux Wine Chateau)

Corisande,

I follow your reasoning that either the 4th or 5th Battalions must be favourites

Thanks for your thoughts on this

………………………………………………….

Can anyone else help with question number two?

"From an exchange in the House of Commons at Westminster in February 1920, it seems that there were four Irish MPs in prison at that time. Does anyone know who the other three were and whether or not they also served in the Great War?"

Irish MPs in prison

1918 General Election

This was the first general election to be held since 1914 and Sinn Féin made some phenomenal gains. It was a landslide victory with Sinn Féin wining 74 seats, compared to their pre-election count of seven. However, 47 of the Sinn Féin MPs were in prison. The Home Rule Party won 6 seats and the Unionist Party won 283.

Corisande,

Thank you for your continued interest here

Your quotation may well be correct for the time of the election

however, my question is regarding a somewhat later date

"From an exchange in the House of Commons at Westminster in February 1920, it seems that there were four Irish MPs in prison at that time. Does anyone know who the other three were and whether or not they also served in the Great War?"