Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anglican churches in Dublin

swizz

This is very slightly off topic, but I hope it will be allowed since the soldier concerned seems to have died during the war. Does anyone know whether there was any pattern to which Anglican church in Dublin would have been used for the marriage of a serving soldier (Royal Irish Rifles) and a local girl in 1904? Were particular churches linked to military barracks? Or could such a wedding have taken place in any church? I'm not sure where to start with this.

Swizz

Presumably there was a church 'linked' to the barracks (for Church parades etc.) bur the wedding could have taken place within the bride's C of I parish which might have been a different church. Was there a RIR barracks in Dublin? - I'd always believed (on the strength of two great Uncle's enlistment in them), that the regimental base was in the North.

Hi Centurion

I think you're right about there being no RIR barracks in Dublin, but I've found a number of instances of men in pre-war RIR battalions being sent to Dublin. Perhaps for training courses or just as part of a more general rotation? I don't know! Certainly the 'home' barracks for the RIR seem to have been within their recruiting area in the north-eastern counties - eg Belfast, Newtownards.

You mention the bride's parish and I had wondered about that myself. I'm assuming that the wedding could have taken place in more or less any Anglican church in Dublin but I was interested to see if anyone on the forum could shed any light on this - it's not really my area!

Swizz

Royal Barracks had a church, the church burial ground has military headstones dating from the 1790s, the church is now the Irish Army church, it was converted to a catholic church sometime in the 1930s I think. Dublin Castle also had a church and Saint Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin is the Royal Irish Regiment's church, it has memorials to the Royal Irish Regiment and some of the Colours of the disbanded Irish Regiments on display. Richmond Barracks also had a church and there is a Church in the Curragh Barracks. I think any ex-British Army barracks in Ireland I have been too had some form of Church although the only one that looks like it 'belonged' to a Regiment was St. Patrick's Cathedral.

post-53649-1274384538.jpg

The answer to this question is presumably linked to the calling of the banns, which were required to be read aloud on three Sundays before the ceremony in the home parish churches of both parties. Omission of this formality rendered the marriage invalid, unless a bishop's licence had been obtained. This had the effect of imposing a sort of "residence qualification" on the bride and groom.

An alternative to trying to track down the church records would be to send off for a copy of the marriage certificate via the General Register Office in Roscommon. I don't think they're yet set up for online applications but you can print off an order form here.

Jane

Search the LDS index to Civil Register to get the ref of the marriage, then apply as Poppy3 says by post with c/c - it is a bit convoluted but you will get the cert.

You can also take a pop at this Church Data base that Irish Government is starting for free. You need to poke around to see which parishes they currently have in Dublin.

This is very slightly off topic, but I hope it will be allowed since the soldier concerned seems to have died during the war. Does anyone know whether there was any pattern to which Anglican church in Dublin would have been used for the marriage of a serving soldier (Royal Irish Rifles) and a local girl in 1904? Were particular churches linked to military barracks? Or could such a wedding have taken place in any church? I'm not sure where to start with this.

Swizz

I may have misunderstood, but I thought this question was asking what, if any, rules might apply in the case of the marriage of a soldier stationed at a particular camp or barracks? As I understand it, such marriages could have taken place in any church subject to the calling of the banns. Where regimental churches or chapels existed, they are more likely to have been used for officer weddings.

• 1 month later...

You will find quite a number of soldiers' marriages on this site.

They were usually held in the parish church of the bride.

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/

If you type in the name of the barracks in the location box all of the marriages will come up.

The barracks in Dublin I can recall are:

Royal Barracks

Portobello "

Beggars Bush "

Richmond "

Wellington "

Marlborough "

Island Bridge "

Ship Street "

Linenhall "

I know the RIR were at Richmond Barracks prior to the war.

Regards,

Ken