Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Renumbering system

Davben

Hi, after recently visiting the TF study groups page on the renumbering system in 1917 I can see that one thing was steering right in the face, here I was assuming all along that my g/father was in the 1/6th notts and derby , when in fact his number 240292 was in the 1/5th notts and derby block of numbers.

As there are no surviving service records and the mic seems to only give regimental details, I then scanned in this photo that i`ve only just come into possesion with showing these young chaps [and a very young Arthur Bennett]

assembled together during training. the giveaway is the lettering stamped into the concrete block ? with a little mascot ? on top which reads to me 5 S F then below H 2, so thats got to be the 1/5th sherwood foresters doesn`t it ?

Here`s the full photo

Dave B.

Davben,

The 5th Sherwood Foresters number block was 200001 to 240000

The 6th Bn block was 240001 to 265000.

So your initial conclusion was correct - he was in the 6th Bn, at least when his number was issued. Such a low 6th Bn number suggests that he was issued with it in early 1917 and that he would have had a previous 4-digit number.

However, if he had been transferred to another battalion within the regt after being issued with his 6-digit number, he would have retained that number.

I hope that helps.

Ken

p.s. I would say that the photo reads '6 S.F.'

Thanks Ken , but from the TF study groups site I read this a little different , it lists the 5th Battalion as the number block starting from 240001 to 265000 which in my mind would include the numbers 240292 as being 291 after the 240001 starting number.

the 6th Battalion starts with 265000 to 305000 which takes my g/fathers service number out of that block, and then after that ,yes, he would have transferred to another regiment [21st Lancers in fact] and held the number L/19678 until joining the 1st kings Dragoon guards.

Dave B.

I suspect some kind of error with the TF renumbering article. The 4th Bn were not part of the Territorial Force, so they wouldn't have had TF numbers. Therefore, the first of the Notts & Derby territorial battalions would have been the 5th and they would have started the number sequence with 200000.

The 4th Bn was the Extra Reserve Battalion, nothing to do with the TF.

Of course, I may be wrong here, I know very little about the Notts & Derbys, but the main site gives the above information about the regiment. See: http://www.1914-1918.net/notts.htm

Regards,

Ken

Dave,

Ken is right - it is a mistake in the site - I'll ask Chris to correct the page.

The correct numbering of the N&D TF is

5th - 200001 to 240000

6th - 240001 to 265000

Apologies for the confusion,

Jock Bruce

Thankyou ,thankyou , thankyou , Ken and Jock, that sits well for me as other things tie in with the 1/6th battalion, yes those TF numbering systems through me completely, I suppose one thing that does brass me off with no service records available for my g/father is that the medal index card doesn`t reveal the actual battalion details , so all I could go on was a 1962 sherwood foresters reunion card he kept and his service number 240292, therefore referring to the TF numbering system.

once again thanks to both for clearing up this matter .

Regards Dave Bennett.