Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Henry Angliss, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

corisande

Steve

You posted your additional information bout the legal record whilst I was replying. That answers my question

Thank you for the input

The Henry Angliss who married Ellen E Musk was a printer born about 1887 and whose father's name was James. The marriage took place on the 25th December 1913 at St Peter's (Church of England), Clerkenwell. If he married in England then it would appear that he married Ellen C M Finnerty, the GRO details of which you already have.

Aled

Aled

Thanks

That proves it was not "my" Henry Angliss - there was a Henry Angliss born Apr/Jun 1887 at Foleshill, Warcs (6d p475), but this does not fit with with a date of birth in 1892 or 1893 for my man. My man was Catholic to boot. And my man's father was another Henry.

I need to get the marriage cert for my man and Miss Finnerty - I could not remember if I had sent already, but another cert for Wilde arrived today, so I can order Angliss' one. At £9 a pop these days, one thinks twice!

Henry Angliss is the only one of the murdered men who I cannot trace to birth. He sort of appears out of nowhere, joining the Scottish Rifles as a private in late 1908, saying that he was born Balmaine, Dublin circa 1892/93. Balmaine does not exist, as discussed in this thread. And no Angliss was born in Ireland at that time. In theory a name like Angliss should be easy to check

He was the only man murdered who was using a false name - Patrick McMahon (or a combination with or with out the mac). My assumption is that Angliss was a name that would draw too much attention to oneself, but I have no proof.

29662 Sgt Henry Angliss was serving with the 14th Highland Light Infantry when he won his D.C.M. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Thanks, I have added that snippet that to Angliss' bio.

I see you have a vested interest in 14th HLI :)

Another part of the Angliss story that I have struggled with is the mysterious "Mr C", a British officer who was "sharing the bed" with Angliss when the hit squad burst into the room. Mr C gave evidence at the trial of Teeling, the IRA man wounded and captured during the IRA withdrawal from the building

This is the NYT account, there are others and the presence of Mr C is not in doubt. Who was Mr C, I can find no unmasking of him, nor do any of the commentators remark about the men sharing a bed. Angliss, for the record, had been married the year before

trial2.jpgtrial3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have just got his marriage cert, dated 12 April 1919 to Ellen Catherine Maud Finnerty

The marriage cert gives him as a 26 year old widower, living at 31 Russell St, Battersea, a Lieutenant in MGC. His father is Sergeant Major Joseph Angliss (deceased) of 6th Inniskilling Dragoons.

It is his father that is the clue now. CWGC give his father as "Son of Henry Angliss, of Enniskillen"

I think I would put more confidence in the Sgt Major Joseph Angliss of 6th Inniskilling Dragoons.

Darned if I can find him in anything ...anybody help?

• 1 month later...

"Fresh" from a visit to Nat Archives, I got a bit more from his file

Kew File on Henry Angliss

The only real extra piece I got from it was that his mother was a Catherine O'Hara

angliss-07.jpg

This repeats the CWGC statement that he was born at Enniskillen, but he himself always put Dublin

Given that he used an alias of "Mahon" while operating in Dublin, and bearing in mind that he was apparently the only one to use an alias, I suspect that he was born illegitimately as Henry Mahon around Aug 1891. There is a Henry Mahon born in Dublin in Jul/Sep quarter that year, and his enlistment points to an Aug 1891 birth.

One gets from the 1901 and 1911 census that his mother Catherine married John O'Hare about 1895, that is when Henry Angliss was about 3 or 4. Beyond that I seem unable to find his father "Joseph Angliss, Sgt Major in 6th Inniskilling Dragoons". No mention of said Joseph in Boer War records.

Unless I can unearth something on Joseph or unless I hit lucky with the Birth Cert of Henry Mahon, that is probably as far as I can get with Henry Angliss (link has what I now have)

His widow remarried, and there was one child, I have contacted what would be the widow's grandchild. Always difficult to know whether one can get a reply or not

• 6 months later...

The book Bloody Sunday by James Gleeson, London, Peter Davies, 1962 does not mention Cairo Gang by name, I found it in teh national Library in dublin and it contains soem new information

People who Escaped on Bloody Sunday

Mr Clevedon lived near St Stephen’s Green, was supposed to be a civil servant, was not at home on Bloody Sunday and later returned in military uniform with a truck to collect his belongings.

Col Jennings was not at the Eastwood Hotel

Three officers were not at the Standard Hotel in Harcourt street

Others targetted

Captain Crawford was in charge of Motor repair depot

Mr Callaghan wanted because he had no army number

Peter Ames formerly of Grenadier guards was son of \mrs ames of New Jersey.

Bennet was on the army special list.

George Nathan Hx sent from Dublin castle, ex Guards, travelled to Limerick to assassinate Lord mayor O’Callaghan and was wanted especially

Cathal Brugha Minister for Defence in the 1919 Dail removed 15 names from the list of those to be killed for want of evidence.

There were two groups targetted

1. The secret service/cairo gang/murder gang who had targetted and killed several prominent Sinn fein activists. these were selected on information from policemen e.g Maxwell of Donnybrook who encountered strangers with passes to be out after curfew and from residents of their dwellings who observed them to go out after curfew.

2. Officers attached to military headquarters who lived out of barracks. these were probably identified by Lt G (Lily Merrin) and were thought to have been associated with the above and may or may not have been. These latter could easily have accounted for the error admitted by Collins in having the officer in the Gresham shot though there was doubt that aretired officer could afford to live in the Gresham without secret service money.

• 4 weeks later...

I am most of the way to tracking down these men

http://www.cairogang.com/escaped/escaped.html

The one I have made no progress on is Clevedon - I have no idea who he was.

http://www.cairogang.com/addresses/fitzwilliam-sq/fitzwilliam-sq.html

Because of the number of raids that were abortive, little detail is known as to which may or may not have been the same address

Having read all the Witness Statements for the raids, even where there are several available for the one raid, it is very difficult to ascertain exactly what happened - they tend to vary wildly in their "take" on what actually happened years before they made the statement

George Nathan Hx sent from Dublin castle, ex Guards, travelled to Limerick to assassinate Lord mayor O’Callaghan and was wanted especially I think you have a typo here, I have tried to get him from the book, but it does not have an index - can you help clarify who he was, as I don't think I have come across him before.

We in the Inniskillings Museum in Enniskillen Co Fermanagh are most interesred in Henry Angliss. We are involved in a project called 'Connection and Division', a study of Irish history covering the contentious years 1910 - 1930. My part in this study is to research into the fate of the returning soldiers to Ireland Angliss is therefore a most interesting person. May we have permission to use your data? and secondly would it be possible to access high definition copies of the photographs in your account? Our email is:- info@inniskillingsmuseum.com.

Many thanks

Drumberny

Hi

Feel free to you whatever of my stuff you want - that is what it is there for :)

If you need high res photos let me know what ones you want, and I will see if I can find them on my hard drive

Whilst you are there, do you have anything on his purported father ""Joseph Angliss, Sgt Major in 6th Inniskilling Dragoons". No mention of said Joseph in Boer War records.

One day I will crack Angliss, but much has been obscured by Basil Thompson

On checking what I have online, I see I have not uploaded his info for a while, and have now done so, so there is more on this link

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for your generous reply to our query on Angliss. I shall do my best to find the elusive Sgt Major Joe Angliss in our records.

We shall indeed use your material. I intend to make a story board of his exploits for an exhibition, along with a more detailed Powerpoint presentation, which will be along with a number of other military personnel from that period. This will give a flavour of the fate of the returning soldier to Ireland after the FWW. Any high resolution photographs you have on file concerning Angliss will be gratefully appreciated. Your research will of course be acknowledged in my work for the exhibition. Subsequently this work will be added to our archive.

You mention Basil Thompson, who is he?

The museum email is info@inniskillingsmuseum.com.

Many thanks and best wishes

John Deering Volunteer researcher

John

I have e-mailed you with a reply

• 9 years later...

Hi, I know that this thread is 10 years old but I would like to share something with you. We heard that a family member has been shot and murdered in Ireland many years ago but had no information. A chance meeting in a pub resulted in us finding out that it was indeed Lt Henry Angliss and he was married to my Grandfathers cousin, Finnerty. As you can imagine it is  quite a story that we have now uncovered.

Welcome to the forum

I have updated my link to Angliss which is click

Over the years I found out most things about him from his illegitimate birth as Henry McLaughlin to his death as Henry Angliss. And even the mysterious Mr C who was with him when he was shot

The first time I picked him up using Angliss was when he enlisted in 1910. I never know whether this was an alias picked out of the air, or used for a reason

His 1919 marriage gives father as "Joseph Angliss", deceased in 1919, and a Sgt Major in 6th Inniskilling Dragoons. Efforts to trace such a man have failed

Details on his second wife Ellen Finnerty are here - click