Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Landsdowne Road Memorial

Arnhem44

With the new Aviva Stadium officially open does anyone know whether the old memorial at the grounds has been re-erected within or near the new stadium or what has happened to it?

Brendan

it's a condition of the planning aplication that :

"[the World War 1 Memorials will be preserved and re-erected within the new stadium]; "

John O'Hara is the case officer at Dublin City Council. Email Planning@dublincity.ie to get more info. In fact, the more of us that email the better.

Case reference is 1086/06Sub02

Irish Times 15th May 2010

In 2006 The Irish Times asked Dunlop’s 88-year-old son Eric Dunlop, who has since passed on, about the redevelopment plans that have now come to fruition.

“I remember when I was a child there was a war memorial from the first World War that people would tip their hat to when passing by,” said Mr Dunlop. “It was on the inside wall between the first and second gate.”

No one was wearing a hat yesterday but the war memorial can still be found just outside the new media centre as one left the stadium under clear blue skies. There is also a suite named after Henry Dunlop.

Irish Times 15th May 2010

No one was wearing a hat yesterday but the war memorial can still be found just outside the new media centre as one left the stadium under clear blue skies. There is also a suite named after Henry Dunlop.

As Johnny Doyle points out, there were two WW I memorials at Lansdowne Road; the general one mentioned above, and the one with a list of names on the Wanderers R.F.C. clubhouse inside the stadium. Both can be seen at Lansdowne Road

I have e-mailed John O'Hara, but no response yet. As soon as I can, I will get in for a look round, unless someone else gets in first and reports back!

Michael

it would be good to see how they've been integrated into the new stadium.

RIP Francis Henry Browning (1883 - 1916) IRFU IAVTC

post-9463-1274219902.jpg