Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Digger Memorial' to Australians at Bullecourt

greatbeanbags

Have just completed my own Battlefield tour of Ypres & The Somme - following in my grandfather’s footsteps as a soldier in the Manchester Regiment 20th & 22nd Bn's. 44510 A-Cpl. Stanley Gilbert Gordon Vince.

Have to say it was fantastic, interesting & very moving as I was also able to follow my fighting great uncles (both KIA/ see my signature for details) & my wife's grandfather 18222 Pte. G. Snell, 1st Bn. Essex Regiment who fought at Beaumont Hamel & was wounded there. Have so much info on all that 6 days passed very quickly.

When I arrived at Bullecourt, which is 'off the main Somme Battlefield route' imagine my surprise to find no evidence of the Manchester Regiments involvement anywhere here! Michael Stedman’s book the Manchester Pals gives detailed account on pages 166 to 171 of significant involvement of the 20th, 21st & 22nd Bn's. at Bullecourt in April & May 1917!!

What I did find was the 'Digger Memorial' to the Australian Imperial Force - see image & descriptions of their action.

I also found a museum at 1 Rue d'Arras - 62128 Bullecourt run by an 82 year old Jean Letaille-Boulogne AM - see image of both. It is full of memorabilia but only Australian, French & German. There were shells, bottles, boxes that held provisions, Aussie soldiers pictures, medals, stories etc. tank parts, maps, rifles, barbed wire etc. etc. Jean wanted my 1st edition Manchester Pals book & copies of my grandfathers memorabilia for the museum which I happily donated as I have replacements. :thumbsup: In return he presented me with a British 18lb & a German 77mm shell. :w00t: Both are complete with full brass & steel casing, with a brass fuse cap for the 18lb & steel armour piercing cap for the 77mm - I hasten to add these shells are not 'live'!

Anyway you may be interested to read that the Australian government have awarded Jean their gold 'Australian Medal of Honour' for his work, which he showed me, & they have had him over as their guest on several occasions to celebrate military commemorations. Guess what? They have just bought Jeans premises & he showed me plans for a new 'Aussie' museum at Bullecourt that they will build. Let's hope they mention the Manchesters?!

Through a contact in the Manchester Regiment Forum I do know there is a memorial to the Manchester Regiment in the Village of Mametz. This is a bronze memorial plaque to the 20th, 21st, 22nd & 24th Battalions (Manchester Pals) unveiled by Captain Robert Bonner on 1st July 1994. The Lancashire & Cheshire Branch of the Western Front Association funded it. It is mounted on a brick plinth in the centre of the village of Mametz. The text is in English and French & this plaque commemorates the everlasting memory of the 20th, 21st, 22nd & 24th Battalions of the Manchester Regiment who, as part of the British 7th Division, successfully freed this village on the morning of 1st July 1916.

I did not visit this memorial, as my grandfather was a Royal Fusilier reinforcement for the Manchester Regiment on 9th July 1916 when he was attached to the 20th Bn. He joined them in the field on 25th Oct 1916. He went on to fight with them on the Somme, in the 3rd Battle of Ypres & finally in Italy before being invalided out in 1918. He lived to be 74 years of age & passed away in 1969. You might be interested to see what I have done with his memorabilia so an image is posted here. B)

Digger Text

Battles Account

Museum & Curator

post-51610-1273825917.jpg

post-51610-1273827200.jpg

post-51610-1273827242.jpg

post-51610-1273827287.jpg

Stanley remembered - he fought at Bullecourt too!

post-51610-1273827503.jpg

A cracking read, many thanks foe sharing the story with us,

Kevin

I'll second that, nice read indeed. Are there any more photo's?

Cheers Andy.

Thanks for the nice comments.......could post more pictures from Bullecourt particularly of the Museum & items contained therein. Will do so over the w/e but the trouble with the GWF forum is that you have to resize images to below 100k which takes a great deal of time. The Manchester forum for example allows for bigger images that is useful for contributors without a great deal of time!

I have fantastic pictures of the few cemeteries I visited where my family members are commemorated - Tyne Cot & Poelkapelle British cemetery. I also have pictures of cemeteries 'off the 'beaten track' where my grandfathers pals are buried from the Manchester Regiment ie. Euston Road @ Colincamps & Achiet-le-Grande.

Needless to say I could post Menin Gate& Ypres images but this has probably been done?

Other places 'off the beaten track' include The Trench of Death at Dikesmude, nearby German & Belgium WW1 cemeteries & a German Bunker near Polygon Wood. Places more well known are Hill 60, Beaumont Hamel, Thiepval, Deville Wood & Villiers-Bretonneux.

If you have certain desires of particular images to see will do my best .....................how about booking me for a future Battlefield Tour that I will now host & run....only joking!!!!! :D

More Bullecourt images

Larger view of memorial - no British flag! Museum entrance

Bottles & cases

Tanks bits

post-51610-1273843233.jpg

post-51610-1273843263.jpg

post-51610-1273843422.jpg

post-51610-1273843440.jpg

post-51610-1273843528.jpg

post-51610-1273843555.jpg

Tank plaque & large shell

post-51610-1273843681.jpg

post-51610-1273843707.jpg

Curator & map

Museum artifacts

post-51610-1273844044.jpg

post-51610-1273844066.jpg

post-51610-1273844163.jpg

post-51610-1273844184.jpg

Shells given to me by the Bullecourt Museum curator - the British 18lb is left with the German 77mm right B)

post-51610-1274119833.jpg

• 3 months later...

Bullecourt shells now cleaned & restored.........together with other items from Varlet Farm near Passchendaele in Flanders. cool.gif

post-51610-067773000 1282206649.jpg

We was in Bullecourt / Noreuil in the summer. How did i miss the musuem :unsure: Oh dear looks like i'm going to have to back ;)

where did you get the frame from ?

We was in Bullecourt / Noreuil in the summer. How did i miss the musuem :unsure: Oh dear looks like i'm going to have to back ;)

where did you get the frame from ?

Do go back........address in first part of topic..........amazing place.........Jean is fantastic but check he is up for your visit as I know he has had recent recent health problems.

For framing of family memorabilia I used a local 'Church Stretton/ Shropshire' picture framer (Barbara's Picture Framing Tel. 01694 - 751703) who will work to your brief with quality components for very reasonable prices. However, if you want to have a go yourself to display less important war memorabilia Tesco Stores sell recessed frames for wall hanging or free standing in 3 sizes & 3 colours. The 2 largest sizes are £8 & £12 ......cheap as probably imported from Far East & perspex not glass. Telford Store had plenty last Saturday & you can even get a 10% discount if you find frames that are slightly marked & ask for it! thumbsup.png

More Bullecourt images

Larger view of memorial - no British flag! Museum entrance

Bottles & cases

Tanks bits

I assume the reason for the lack of a Union Flag is that the "Bullecourt Digger" commemorates the actions of the AIF at Bullecourt.

Have just completed my own Battlefield tour of Ypres & The Somme - following in my grandfather’s footsteps as a soldier in the Manchester Regiment 20th & 22nd Bn's. 44510 A-Cpl. Stanley Gilbert Gordon Vince.

Have to say it was fantastic, interesting & very moving as I was also able to follow my fighting great uncles (both KIA/ see my signature for details) & my wife's grandfather 18222 Pte. G. Snell, 1st Bn. Essex Regiment who fought at Beaumont Hamel & was wounded there. Have so much info on all that 6 days passed very quickly.

When I arrived at Bullecourt, which is 'off the main Somme Battlefield route' imagine my surprise to find no evidence of the Manchester Regiments involvement anywhere here! Michael Stedman’s book the Manchester Pals gives detailed account on pages 166 to 171 of significant involvement of the 20th, 21st & 22nd Bn's. at Bullecourt in April & May 1917!!

What I did find was the 'Digger Memorial' to the Australian Imperial Force - see image & descriptions of their action.

I also found a museum at 1 Rue d'Arras - 62128 Bullecourt run by an 82 year old Jean Letaille-Boulogne AM - see image of both. It is full of memorabilia but only Australian, French & German. There were shells, bottles, boxes that held provisions, Aussie soldiers pictures, medals, stories etc. tank parts, maps, rifles, barbed wire etc. etc. Jean wanted my 1st edition Manchester Pals book & copies of my grandfathers memorabilia for the museum which I happily donated as I have replacements. thumbsup.png In return he presented me with a British 18lb & a German 77mm shell. w00t.png Both are complete with full brass & steel casing, with a brass fuse cap for the 18lb & steel armour piercing cap for the 77mm - I hasten to add these shells are not 'live'!

Anyway you may be interested to read that the Australian government have awarded Jean their gold 'Australian Medal of Honour' for his work, which he showed me, & they have had him over as their guest on several occasions to celebrate military commemorations. Guess what? They have just bought Jeans premises & he showed me plans for a new 'Aussie' museum at Bullecourt that they will build. Let's hope they mention the Manchesters?!

Through a contact in the Manchester Regiment Forum I do know there is a memorial to the Manchester Regiment in the Village of Mametz. This is a bronze memorial plaque to the 20th, 21st, 22nd & 24th Battalions (Manchester Pals) unveiled by Captain Robert Bonner on 1st July 1994. The Lancashire & Cheshire Branch of the Western Front Association funded it. It is mounted on a brick plinth in the centre of the village of Mametz. The text is in English and French & this plaque commemorates the everlasting memory of the 20th, 21st, 22nd & 24th Battalions of the Manchester Regiment who, as part of the British 7th Division, successfully freed this village on the morning of 1st July 1916.

I did not visit this memorial, as my grandfather was a Royal Fusilier reinforcement for the Manchester Regiment on 9th July 1916 when he was attached to the 20th Bn. He joined them in the field on 25th Oct 1916. He went on to fight with them on the Somme, in the 3rd Battle of Ypres & finally in Italy before being invalided out in 1918. He lived to be 74 years of age & passed away in 1969. You might be interested to see what I have done with his memorabilia so an image is posted here. cool.gif

Digger Text

Battles Account

Museum & Curator

The award presented to both Jean and Denise Letaille on 25 July 1997 was Hnorary "Member of the Order of Australia" (AM) which is part of the Australian Honours System. The AM is essentially the Australian equivalent of the MBE. Honorary AMs were also presented were both Claude and Collette Durand of nearby Hendecourt-lès-Cagnicourt for their similar work in keeping the memories of the AIF alive in the area.

Nicer folks you will never meet.

I assume the reason for the lack of a Union Flag is that the "Bullecourt Digger" commemorates the actions of the AIF at Bullecourt.

Absolutely right ....... the memorial is Australian & superbly commemorates the significant actions of the AIF there.

However, in the topic fIrst post I mentioned that I had hoped to find at least some mention/evidence in Bullecourt of the Manchester Regiment & their part in significant actions there in April/May 1917. My grandfather fought in & survived these. I realise that the Manchester Pals can't be commemorated everywhere they fought on the Somme, in Flanders & in Italy.............for me personally it would have been nice to find/see some acknowledgement to the Manchesters in Bullecourt when I was retracing my grandfathers WW1 footsteps.

A final thought........meeting the Museum owner/curator at Bullecourt as described in the topic was the highlight of my 3 days on the Somme....... had this not happened my Battlefield tour in France would not have been such a great experience. :D

The award presented to both Jean and Denise Letaille on 25 July 1997 was Hnorary "Member of the Order of Australia" (AM) which is part of the Australian Honours System. The AM is essentially the Australian equivalent of the MBE. Honorary AMs were also presented were both Claude and Collette Durand of nearby Hendecourt-lès-Cagnicourt for their similar work in keeping the memories of the AIF alive in the area.

Nicer folks you will never meet.

Thanks for explaining the AM award that was bestowed on Jean & his wife. Unfortunately Jean had lost his wife sometime before my visit but friends in Hardecourt-aux-Bois keep an eye on him even though his health is not good currently.

Absolutely agree that you will not meet a nicer man than Jean ...........don't know the Durands but am sure they are 'cut from the same mold' as Jean! :thumbsup:

Thanks for putting up this great post, how cool to have the luck and pleasure to meet Jean....great photos too !

I've been researching my family history, one great uncle was in the Boer War (2nd Queensland Mounted Infantry), and also the Great War (1st King Edward's Horse), another great uncle was in the 17th Battalion AIF. This forum has been a great help, finding out the details of their service.

My surname is Kibble, which wasn't too common in Australia back then (there's only 7 Kibble's on the Australian War Memorial Nominal Roll for the Great War).

Anyways, whilst researching my two uncles, I found another Kibble (Sgt Peter Clarke Kibble DCM 13th Battalion AIF).

On 11/4/1917 he was wounded at Bullecourt, taken to the dressing station at Sunken Road, then killed by a shell burst.

He was buried in the immediate area, but his grave was lost. (he's on the Roll of Honour at the Villers Bretonneux Memorial).

I've found it tough going trying to trace a family connection, photo etc.

But after reading your post on Bullecourt it's got me fired up to go the extra yard !

Cheers

Wig

This Bullecourt Memorial also commemorates the British 7th Division

(unfortunately, once I cut down the photo all clarity was lost!)

post-4363-028352600 1282279890.jpg

The plaques:

post-4363-018079700 1282280126.jpg

post-4363-058984500 1282280182.jpg

Cheers, Frev

And here's another photo of Jean (who was still looking a little frail in mid July) about to take some of our crew for a ride in his jeep:

post-4363-029790400 1282280809.jpg

This Bullecourt Memorial also commemorates the British 7th Division

(unfortunately, once I cut down the photo all clarity was lost!)

post-4363-028352600 1282279890.jpg

The plaques:

post-4363-018079700 1282280126.jpg

post-4363-058984500 1282280182.jpg

Cheers, Frev

Thanks frev .........it's great to know that this memorial is in Bullecourt. I presume it is in the Churchyard from what I can see in the top image? Unfortunately, I missed this as having been to the 'Digger Memorial' - walked the fields & then had the good fortune to wander into Jean's Museum & home I had no time left to go to the Church. Regretfully, I did not learn of this memorials existence whilst there......'malheuresment mon Francais est tres mal' but I am now grateful to you for your post that puts Bullecourt into it's true context for me now! thumbsup.png

Thanks for putting up this great post, how cool to have the luck and pleasure to meet Jean....great photos too !

I've been researching my family history, one great uncle was in the Boer War (2nd Queensland Mounted Infantry), and also the Great War (1st King Edward's Horse), another great uncle was in the 17th Battalion AIF. This forum has been a great help, finding out the details of their service.

My surname is Kibble, which wasn't too common in Australia back then (there's only 7 Kibble's on the Australian War Memorial Nominal Roll for the Great War).

Anyways, whilst researching my two uncles, I found another Kibble (Sgt Peter Clarke Kibble DCM 13th Battalion AIF).

On 11/4/1917 he was wounded at Bullecourt, taken to the dressing station at Sunken Road, then killed by a shell burst.

He was buried in the immediate area, but his grave was lost. (he's on the Roll of Honour at the Villers Bretonneux Memorial).

I've found it tough going trying to trace a family connection, photo etc.

But after reading your post on Bullecourt it's got me fired up to go the extra yard !

Cheers

Wig

You have done great so far with your family WW1 research Wig.........I too am missing some WW1 family photo's, medals, death plaques etc. but am not giving up the hope of finding them! Having started on my family WW1 history quest in Dec 2009 I am amazed at how far I have been able to go in 20 months.........due in part to great help & advice from forum members both here & in the Manchesters one.

Good luck with your future endeavours. biggrin.gif

Clive

You have done great so far with your family WW1 research Wig.........I too am missing some WW1 family photo's, medals, death plaques etc. but am not giving up the hope of finding them! Having started on my family WW1 history quest in Dec 2009 I am amazed at how far I have been able to go in 20 months.........due in part to great help & advice from forum members both here & in the Manchesters one.

Good luck with your future endeavours. biggrin.gif

Clive

Hi Clive,

Yeah, it's been amazing piecing everything together...all I had was two dodgy photo-copies of both uncles in uniform.

All I knew was they'd both served, and had both been wounded, when/where I didn't have a clue.

The one who was in the AIF (Private James Formby Kibble), through his service records at the Aussie War Memorial I found he was hit 31/7/1916 at Poziere's.

His Battalion were trying to take the 'Windmill', he recieved a wound to the head. What's amazing is my Dad told me a story that a few years after the war, Jim complained to his wife about a lump on his head. She checked it out, and a piece of shrapnel had worked it's way through the top of his scalp ! He lived to be a ripe old age.

My other uncle (Sgt Major Sydney George Kibble) was in the 1st King Edward's Horse, finding their regimental history is difficult, a definitive book exists, but it's as rare as hen's teeth. Thankfully because of the forum, I was able to find out that he was wounded 31/7/1917 at Pilkem Ridge, Passchendaele by a sniper. (I was emailed an extract from the book descrbing the incident...incredible stuff)

Pretty amazing that they both were wounded exactly one year apart...

Best of luck finding your other missing family WW1 stuff...yeah keep up the good fight !

Cheers

Wig

Wig

Great stories ..........the shrapnel in Jim's head is amazing! To have an email copy of an extract from a book about Sydney being wounded by a sniper is great to have.

I have some similar fascinating stories to share!

My great uncle Sydney Vince (details in my signature) carried a picture of my grandfather Stanley (details also in my signature) when he enlisted in 1916 as a Royal Fusilier ............left hand photo in posted image. If you look closely there is damage that is alledged to be from the bullet that killed him. We know this as his personal effects were all returned to my great grandmother from what we can read in the copy of his Discharge Papers. My grandmother told me the story when I was 15 & when she gave me the 2 photos of my grandfather in uniform. You can actually push your little finger through the photo hole!!

We also have a letter copy from Sydney's commanding officer, Lieutenant Stevenson whose RNVR Anson. Bn captured Varlet Farm from the Germans. He was left with only 7 men remaining (see Bn. War Diary page) & in his letter to my great grandmother he describes Sydney's death under fire, in action, going down by bullet or shrapnel.

We are both lucky to have so much info about our fighting relatives.

All the best to you.

Clive

post-51610-003147900 1282410583.jpg

post-51610-043072300 1282410663.jpg

Hi Clive,

Thanks so much for sharing the story of your Great Uncle and Grandad...

The history behind the photograph is amazing !

To also have a letter from Sydney's CO describing his death...very special.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't got anything in my possession that belonged to both my Great Uncles.

As I'd mentioned, all I have is two dodgy photocopies...better than nothing I guess !

Sydney George Kibble's life was pretty amazing (my Dad grew up on the farm he orignally owned).

He enlisted in the 2nd Queensland Mounted Infantry and served in the Boer War as a private.

On his return he up and left for Argentina...when War was declared he made passage to England, and enlisted in King Edward's Horse.

He was discharged in 1917 because of his wounding (he walked with a limp and cane). He came back to Australia, with an English bride.

Then he moved to South America (Uruguay) again...he must've like that part of the world !

The last time the family heard from him, he'd moved from Uruguay to the South of France...never to be heard from again.

It's a mystery what happened to him, but in my travels I found a Sydney G Kibble under the Death Notices for Battersea, London March 1944, age 67 - which matches his age. Is it him ? I don't know how else to find out...

But yeah, he had a pretty interesting life by the sound of it !

All the best mate,

Wig

Hi Clive,

Thanks so much for sharing the story of your Great Uncle and Grandad...

The history behind the photograph is amazing !

To also have a letter from Sydney's CO describing his death...very special.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't got anything in my possession that belonged to both my Great Uncles.

As I'd mentioned, all I have is two dodgy photocopies...better than nothing I guess !

Sydney George Kibble's life was pretty amazing (my Dad grew up on the farm he orignally owned).

He enlisted in the 2nd Queensland Mounted Infantry and served in the Boer War as a private.

On his return he up and left for Argentina...when War was declared he made passage to England, and enlisted in King Edward's Horse.

He was discharged in 1917 because of his wounding (he walked with a limp and cane). He came back to Australia, with an English bride.

Then he moved to South America (Uruguay) again...he must've like that part of the world !

The last time the family heard from him, he'd moved from Uruguay to the South of France...never to be heard from again.

It's a mystery what happened to him, but in my travels I found a Sydney G Kibble under the Death Notices for Battersea, London March 1944, age 67 - which matches his age. Is it him ? I don't know how else to find out...

But yeah, he had a pretty interesting life by the sound of it !

All the best mate,

Wig

Wig

If you haven't done so why not ask the forum to try & tell you more about Sydney in a separate topic on this forum. Members might be able to dig up things about his Infantry service through records & who knows perhaps even a photo!

For a small fee you should be able to get a copy Death Certificate from the Battersea Births, Marriages & Deaths Records Office (Google for details). Possibly your man & the certificate may have info about his profession & a witness who might be a relation of yours. I was able to get a copy Death Certificate for a WW1 Major from Glamorganshire County Public Records Office & for his WW2 Captain son from the Skipton Births, Marriage & Deaths Registry Office.

Good luck.

Clive