Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irishmen in WW1

curranl

Liam

I know that as well as the War Diaries at Kew their are also a number of letters from officers in the Division, including the CO 6th Rifles, to Aspinall-Oglander the official historian of the Gallipoli campaign. These were used to clarify points in the official history and I am sure there are probably similar letters for the later campaigns. I will be at Kew in July and will look them out if you are interested.

Michael

How do I get a copy of the book on the Belvedere College War Memeorial as I would be interested in finding out if their are any 10th Division men on it? Do you have the address of the college?

Trooper

Trooper,

The book was published privately by Belvedere College, and sold to raise funds (I think it was €20). If any copies are still available, you would get one from Oliver Murphy, Belvedere College, Great Denmark Street, Dublin 1.

I'll go through my copy as soon as I can to see if it mentions 10th Div.

Michael Pegum

Hello All,

That's what I get for ranting (a big red face :rolleyes: ): Our President (Mary McAleese) yesterday paid tribute to the Irishmen of 16th and 36th Divisions at the Island of Ireland Peace Park on Messines Ridge. She also paid tribute to Pte John Condon, The youngest British soldier to die - he was just 14 when killed in May, 1915.

Now how about some recognition for the 10th (Irish) Division??

Michael, well done to Belvedere. Any sign of the History syllabus at second level being changed to cover our WW1 men?

Trooper, thanks for the offer on the 6th RIRifs. I guess by now you know I am interested in any information you can turn up on the battalion.

Regards,

Liam.

Looking at this thread it is interseting to see how far this aspect of Irish history is being 'discovered' I find it very positive.

Is there any one of the thread posters who can contact me off forum as I am trying to develop a concept for a film and want it to be accurate. At this stage I cannot afford fees but I am due to make an application for development money from the Irish Film Board.

I can give the outline to anyone who emails me.

John

It is also interesting to note that a lot of attention has been paid here to the 60th Anniversary of the D-Day Landings.

At the same time that the President was in Messines a memorial service was held at the National War Memorial in Islandbridge.

The state broadcaster RTE also broadcast programmes throughout the day that in some cases mirrored that of UK channels, (living just south of the border I get both).

Once again Kevin Myers (who I fundamentally disagree with on every other subject except for this) was at he forefront in the Irish Times. Indeed the Irish Times gave over the whole first three pages of the Saturday Review section to D-Day and featured several interesting interviews with Irish veterans.

Trooper,

The Belvedere book (called "The Cruel Clouds of War", by the way) has three members of the 10th Division:

2nd.Lt. William Frederick Cecil McGarry, 6th.Btn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Lt. Kevin Emmet O'Duffy, 7th Btn. Royal Munster Fusiliers

Capt. John Valentine Dunn, 7th Btn. Royal Munster Fusiliers.

There is a page or two about each, with photographs. They all appear in the list of casualties in Bryan Cooper's book "The Tenth (Irish) Division in Gallipoli".

Michael Pegum

Liam,

I've been following this discussion with keen interest. It is indeed about time that these men were acknowledged as soldiers who faught and died in the Great War regardless of the reason or reasons that encouraged them to enlist. When it came down to their performance as soldiers it was a fight for survival of themselves and their comrades. Attached is a "cutting" from the Irish Times of last Tues 8th June, could any of us imagine the President of Ireland making such a speech 20 years ago?. It surely a sign of the times (no pun intended).

C.T.

Guest diane kendall

Hi All

I heard Kevin Myers on telly recently saying that the Irish were not recognised at home for their contribution to the war and he does indeed, it appears, try to rectify that. I also watched the programme on the VC winner (forgotten his name) from N I and thought it was excellent and I am sure it surprised a lot of people to learn about this ordinary man and his courage.

Di