Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal of St George 4th Class

paulx1v

Hi

My Great Grandfather was awarded the Medal of St George 4th Class in 1915, and I have a copy of the London Gazette with his award in it.

I also have his MIC for his BWM/VICT/STAR, and a MIC for his DCM (thanks to a member of this forum - cheers Patrick :thumbsup: ), but I cannot find any MIC or record for the Medal of St George. Can anybody suggest where I should be looking?

Many thanks

Paul

Hi

My Great Grandfather was awarded the Medal of St George 4th Class in 1915, and I have a copy of the London Gazette with his award in it.

I also have his MIC for his BWM/VICT/STAR, and a MIC for his DCM (thanks to a member of this forum - cheers Patrick :thumbsup: ), but I cannot find any MIC or record for the Medal of St George. Can anybody suggest where I should be looking?

Many thanks

Paul

Hi ,Well it should be in his service record if it survives at Ancestry ,The LG page you have is the Holy Grail on entitlement .The MIC rarely if ever will have a foreign decoration on it .What apart from entitlement are you looking for ?,a citation you would have to be very lucky on the service record. :unsure:

MC

Paul

Which Regiment did he serve in?

Have you checked the Regimental History for the Great War?

Many Regimental Historys for the Great War include Honours and Awards as an Appendix -some being far more detailed than others.

Philip

Occasionally there will be an entry amongst the Foreign Office files, these are at the UK National Archives, Kew not online.

The standard MICs were UK campaign medals, they do not always have UK gallentry medals listed. There were other indexes for the MM, DCM and MIDs; these are not complete.