Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What can you tell me about this photo?

Nick

Hello Pals,

Magnifying glasses out please. What can you tell me about this photo....? I'd be especially interested to know what info can be gleaned from the chevrons on his arm or the hat on the right.

Extra points for guessing the make of cigarette!

Thanks,

Nick

post-1-1085574881.jpg

Could it have been be taken at the Hotel Rio Park in Benidorm !!!!

Overseas service stripes, can just make out possibly two long service good conduct stripes possibly taken in Egypt en-route to Mesopotamia/Baghdad.

Could possibly be a Scouts badge/ Bombers badge/ Trench Mortar badge on his upper right arm.

The insignia on the Wolsley Helmet might be Middlesex Regt Territorial (looks similar to a cigarette card on WW1 uniforms)

Regards

Terry

Cannot make out the fag in his hand, but he has a box of Swan Vestas in his left breast tunic pocket !!

Terry

Interesting thanks.

If I said it was Kent Territorial (see my signature) would that make more sense?

From a higher resolution image I can say that there are five chevrons in all on the right arm - is that one for each year of service?

There are two chevrons on the left arm (good conduct?)

The best I can make of the upper arm mark is to decribe it as a diamond with a ball at the bottom, which looks to me like an old style gernadier type emblem.

Nick

Hello,

Might be able to help on chevrons, 5 in total possible for overseas service. My gradfather had simlar number they are issues for every year of war service a red one for 1914 and a blue for every year afterward.

Hope this helps

Mark

That's interesting, and is partly why I posted the picture up. This is reportedly a photo of the guy in my signature, who was killed in 1917. If it is, how could he have had so many stripes? Not my man perhaps?

Nick

number of chevrons does not negate this being your man as I have seen several pictures of pre-war regular soldiers who stacked up their overseas chevrons due to service in India and the colonies before WW1.

Regards

Hi Nick,

For further info on chevrons try the other thread in the Uniform, arms and insignia section about page 3 on Wound Stripes and Chevrons

Cheers

Mark

Interesting thread, thanks. So are they good conduct stripes on the left arm or wound stripes? Also, Kingsman, does he being a prewar regular stack up with him having a T prefix service number?

Always confuse and ever grateful

Nick

Hi Nick,

Wound stripes were worn vertically on the left arm (bottom) of the soldiers jacket.

Cheers,

Michael