Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Recent' date stamp on Medal Card.

Hywyn

I have occasionaly seen Medal Cards bearing a date stamped from the 1960s/70s etc. One I recently looked at* had the date 27 Nov 1979 stamped on it. The card itself records that the 1915 star was returned and scrapped (although regimental records show he was in Gallipoli) but not the other two.

Can anyone conclusively say what conclusions can be drawn from the stamp being on the card. Is it possible that there may have been some communication between the man/his family and the MoD? If so, would it be possible to track down the communication. His papers do not seem to have survived.

(* 1882 Griffith Rowlands. RWF)

Hywyn

Hywym,

At a guess, a family member may have applied for his medals at that time and they may have been reissued. had a look at the MIC and all it shows is the date stamp on the bottom right corner of the front. Lots of other writing as well but none for that time period.

I believe it was in the early 80's that the re-issue of WW1 medals ceased.

Cheers Andy.

The card also mentions the medal had been returned by the police in 1925.

Thanks you all for your replies. When I saw that the 1915 star had been returned by the Police I thought that it might have been refused for some reason but why just that one. I now tend to think that it's more possible that it was found somewhere and handed in to the Police.

Were they at the Droitwich Office for some particular purpose?

Hywyn

I think that was where the Medal Office was at the time Hywyn and prior to the removal of the cards to Kew.

Peridot

The cards were never taken to Kew. They were held at Droitwich until the 90s and then transferred to MOD Hayes. From here they were digitised in black and white by TNA, retained at Hayes, and when Hayes closed in 2004, they were scheduled for destruction until the WFA rescued them. When they were recovered they were found in the same corridor they had been stored in for nearly a decade, forgotten and neglected.

Recent date stamps do indicate correspondence regarding the issue of medals but this paperwork looks like it has not survived.

Thanks Paul. I wanted to be able to advise someone whether it was worth pursuing. Looks as if the actual Cards weren't going to be retained there wouldn't be much chance for the correspondence and I would imagine it's highly unlikely that the TNA would have digitised the corries.

Hywyn

TNA are unlikely to have ever seen the correspondence files due to data protection legislation. I suspect it was just burned.

Hi

The dates do refer to family correspondance and the letters sent by people researching their grandparents etc.

If you check my family list and then look for the MIC you will see the all have a 1984 date on them. That is when I wrote to Droitwich requesting info. The letters would have been filed at Droitwich and I expect destroyed when they moved the cards.

The attached shows the type of reply when claiming medals in this case my wifes grt uncle.

regards

John

post-27843-1273775533.jpg

The dates do refer to family correspondance and the letters sent by people researching their grandparents etc.

John,

I suspected this was the case with my Great Grandfathers MIC and subsequently many others I have come across. Thanks for confirming this.

Cheers.

John

• 2 weeks later...

That appears to have been a legal requirement at that time. As far as the price quoted for the 1914 star, a bargain by today's prices.

TR

...The dates do refer to correspondence and the letters sent by people researching

Confirmed; all my MiCs from my Collection over the past 50 years up to the time the Cards were disposed of by the AMO have the dates of my letters to them on the Cards