Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Early Birthday present

Adam Llewellyn

Good day all,

3 months early, but I'm not complaining. I've been given a Death Plaque, my first one, to Edwin Turner. There are 11 Edwin Turners on SDGW and I'm at a loss on how, if its possible, to discover which one could be the man on the plaque. Could somebody please tell me if the mans name on the plaque would have been taken from the SDGW rolls and there fore from the Official Casualty Lists, if this is the case, can I then discount the men with middle names?

Edwins plaque as a W stamped on the back and I've found out that this means it was produced at the Woolwich Arsenal. There is also a wide H on the front which means he was an army man, well thats what it said on the website I was looking at. There is a number, 70, between the Lions back foot and tail, can anybody tell me what this stand for and last but not least, next to the Lions front foot the letters, E or L. C R T, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Regards. Llew.

Have you checked out the locations on S.D.G.W and C.W.G.C as the casualty may be local to your district. If so check out local press and if possible the 1911 Census.

The plaque was brought off e bay, I've got some information from the seller that it was purchased from a chap in Newcastle, but no guarantee on where that chap could have got it from.

Regards. Llew.

Llew. This what you are looking for? "The plaque bears one or two markings which are worthy of explanation. To the front of the foremost paw of the lion are the initials E.C R P, these stand for the name of the designer E.Carter Preston, between the rearmost paw and end of the tail ia a number,this is the number allocated to the workman who applied the name to the plaque. Highest number currently observed is 94." Ralph.

Hi LLew,

Wouldn't have thought it came from SDGW as that is an incomplete record, possibly from CWGC grave returns ?

lots of E Turner's to choose from :-)

Grant

There is also a wide H on the front which means he was an army man, well thats what it said on the website I was looking at. There is a number, 70, between the Lions back foot and tail, can anybody tell me what this stand for and last but not least, next to the Lions front foot the letters, E or L. C R T, anything would be greatly appreciated.

That's a myth, have a look here, should answer a few questions:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear...=clnk&gl=uk

Think of the fun you will have researcging them all. I have a couple like that; most probably Canadian, but there was lots of immigration after the war.

Gentlemen, thank you for the replies and pointing me, yet again, in the right direction.

Thanks for the link Andrew it certainly does answer alot of the questions and clear up what is a myth and not.

For my goodself Michael the researching is what its all about, whether it be on a memorial or medals, the more the merrier.

Best Regards. Llew.