Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The War Illustrated and the Second Great War

Guest GeniBeavan

Guest GeniBeavan

Hi, I'm looking for a rough price guide for each of these two collections of books:

The War Illustrated and The Second Great War, The War Illustrated is from Amalgamated Press, and has the signature of Sir John Hammerton on the inside page of the first volume.

My dad (who's actually had them longer than I've been born) has always had them on show in the lounge, and me, being the curious 16 year old that I am, looked across the net and have not found anything on them, or how much they're worth.

We own the all the volumes of both war's, and the Second Great War is illustrated in colour.

I'm just wondering if anyone at all know's anything about them. I know they were both magazines from quite a while ago.

I hope to do History for A level next year too, so I'm hoping all these would be an asset to my studies!

If anyone had any info on them at all, myself and my dad would love to know more about them!

Thanks.

Hello

They're not worth a tremendous amount of money considering their age or completeness, but it does vary: worth searching for examples presently on sale on ebay or speedbid. A bit like these ornamental Victorian sewing machines that keep turning up at sales: immaculately made, often in full working order, and over a century old, but there are so many of them around they fetch no more than £10 a piece.

The WW1 mags seem to be more widely bought, but there generally no discernable difference in their sale prices. Maybe £1 each individually, but in volume form probably far less per issue: the P&P will deter many people! :lol:

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Richard

A full bound Set Of Hammertons WW2 War Illustrated,in good order,was sold @ my local general auction this last Saturday{22nd May 2004}for around £20,so they are still about in House Clearances etc,& shouldnt be that expensive if you are looking to buy? not such a good result if selling though!