Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A treasure TROVE on-line

frev

Thanks for sharing. What an excellent resource.

I had a quick play around searching Royal Welsh Fusiliers and the very first newspaper clipping I looked at looks like a potentional Non Commemoration. Captain William Stuart Hawthorne, gassed 1918, died March 1921 aged 32 and from deterorating health due to said gassing according to the clip. Are there any Aussie Non Comm enthusiasts that could take it up and investigate further? His papers are available.

Hywyn

• 7 months later...

This Christmas I'm catching up with my reading and am finding this website one of the best I've ever consulted. It's very easy to use and offers articles in a number of formats, including "text" so one can cut-and-paste. Occasionally the optical recognition comes up with distorted text, but one has the opportunity to correct that for the benefit of others. I've been checking out "Salisbury Plain 1916-1920", which came up with a daunting 2,700 hits, but these included many advertisements and Personal announcements, which can be eliminated. And a number of articles sent back to Australia were syndicated and so appear several times. However, I did get rather more helpful articles from the New Zealand equivalent, with detailed reports of life at Sling, Codford and so on.

It puts The Times archive website in the shade and, what's more, it's readily accessible.

The UK does seem to lag behind when it comes to the easy availability of Great War archive material.

Moonraker

I had a quick play around searching Royal Welsh Fusiliers and the very first newspaper clipping I looked at looks like a potentional Non Commemoration. Captain William Stuart Hawthorne, gassed 1918, died March 1921 aged 32 and from deterorating health due to said gassing according to the clip. Are there any Aussie Non Comm enthusiasts that could take it up and investigate further? His papers are available.

Hywyn

Hywyn

best to open a new thread in the non comms section; I will have a look at his Australian service file & see what I can make of it

Chris

• 10 months later...
1273047144[/url]' post='1404378']

Hywyn

Hullo, Captain Hawthorne was my great uncle, the family story was that there was shortage of gas masks and he gave his to someone else and then was gassed himself. Is there anything I could do?

dsh

Dsh

If you anything of documentation relating to his death this could help

Cheers

Chris

• 4 months later...

Hi Hywyn

I am also researching Dr Hawthorne in the book I am writing on some Austn doctors who joined the RAMC. I have quite a bit on him although not on his gassing and days with the Royal Welsh. Are you related?

regards

Lina

Hywyn

I just replied to Hywyn, I am writing about Stuart in the book I'm doing on some of the Aussie drs who served with the RAMC. I'd love to make contact with you privately if you like, you contact me via my website.

rgards

Lina

www.australiandoctorsww1.com

Hullo, Captain Hawthorne was my great uncle, the family story was that there was shortage of gas masks and he gave his to someone else and then was gassed himself. Is there anything I could do?

dsh