Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Starting out...

Viola

Hi.

I'm just new here, so I hope I've put this in the right section.

My interest in history was always from the 1930s on. I had a huge interest (and still do) in WW2 and the D-Day landings. But, as a result of a visit to the Messines area on business (hoping to get back there soon) and an off-the-cuff remark over the dinner table that led me to find out that my great-grandfather was in the Army Service Corps in Africa, I've got interested in WW1.

Basically my question is, where do I start? I'm not ready to start researching the family history just yet - I really want to get at least a basic knowledge of the war.

At the moment I've got a book called "Orange, Green & Khaki" sitting on my desk waiting to read it, and I've got a book by George Martin (I think) on the First World War somewhere (next time I move house, I'm labeling my boxes properly!).

Should I be reading other books?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Viola

Viola

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here and I hope you learn a lot.

Might I suggest you have a look at the book review section of the forum. You may find some ideas in there.

At this stage you could find that a general history, such as that by John Keegan, is all you need. On the other hand a personal account or a even a pictorial history may be more suited.

A current thread in the forum covers books that got others interested. It may be worth looking through that. Another idea would be to go along to your local library and take a chance on what is in stock there.

Whichever way you go I wish you good luck. Just be prepared to persevere. You will find a lot of good material out there and lots of useful information on this Forum.

Garth

At the risk of repeating what so many have said elsewhere many of us were intially inspired by Martin Middlebrook's "The First Day on the Somme" still widely available and often discounted in stores like "The Works" and other discount stores.

It gives a good insight into the volunteer army that was blooded on 1st July 1916. It won't tell you much about the other 148 days ot the battle of the Somme or the other battles and theatres of the war. It is the volume that almost single-handed re-kindled interest in the Great War over the last 30 years.

Above all think about whether you are interested in the battle, strategies, tactics and campaigns of the war or the individuals and their experiences. The latter is more immediate, the former can be thoroughly engrossing and thought provoking.

There were two campaigns in Africa; German East Africa and German South West Africa. The chances are your relative was in East Africa and there is little written about that campaign. A good starting point, and a good read, is "Marching on Tanga" by Francis Brett Young - you should be able to get hold of a copy through your local library. The campaign there was more like guerilla warfare and never settled into trench warfare.

You will find all sorts of useful info about the British Army on the mother site to this forum (click on "the long long trail" top left) and you can always ask questions here.

Martin

Hi Viola

Chris McCarthy's two books - The Somme, The Day-By-Day Account and Passchendaele, The Day-By-Day Account are good for beginners. Also Then and then books on the Somme and Ypres are good and not heavy going. But there is more to the war then the Somme and Ypres but the books above are good starters.

Annette

By the way the above should be Then and Now :huh:

Viola,

To get a feel for the battlefields, memorials and personalities I would recommend the "Bible" of the Western Front, Before Endeavours Fade by the late Rose Coombs MBE.

Bob.

Guest Brummy

Try any of the books by Lyn Macdonald or Malcolm Brown. Both of these authors give a good veuw of the big history combined with personal acounts to give detail and provide interest.

Brum

Viola - Orange Green & Khaki .. if you have Irish interest of any shade, is marvellous.

Also suggest -

Philip Orr's Road to the Somme

Terence Deman's Ireland's Unknown Soldiers

Plus - Middlebrook, Holmes, Sheffield for general war material. You can't go wrong.

Des

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm finding "Orange, Green and Khaki" hard going at the moment - mainly because I'm working long hours, so when I get around to opening it, I'm exhausted.

But I'm off on a business trip next week (which usually involves lots of spare time in hotel rooms), so I'll see if I can add any of your suggestions to my (already very heavy!) suitcase.

-- Viola

Guest MaryFM

Hi Viola

A very personal and moving book is Some Desperate Glory by Edwin Campion Vaughan of The Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

I have read it several times and it never fails to move me.

Best wishes

Mary